Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
14-140mm lens usage
  • 40 Replies sorted by
  • @alcomposer
    Here's a link to my run-and-gun rig:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/654/gh2-h4n-on-gini-shoulder-mount-rig-with-ruige-5-monitor

Instead of the Lumix 14-140mm, I use the Leicasonic 14-50mm f2.8-3.5. It's faster, its OIS is drop dead steady, and it has a manual aperture ring, though auto-focus is slower than Micro 4/3rds lenses. In addition the Leicasonic extends less than an inch when zoomed, which allows me to use it with a rails-mounted lens hood - not really a matte box, but good enough for my purposes.
    Gini H4n Ruige.jpg
    3136 x 2352 - 2M
  • @davhar...

No this scene...
    apocalypse_now_dennis_hopper.jpg
    485 x 319 - 66K
  • Well I certainly think the 14-140 is a whole lot better than most on this site. It is what it is, Al, so don't be going all- "If is the middle word of life" on us now. We need you, bro. Come back from the dark side.

A jungle is just a jungle and a carpenter never blames his tools.
  • Thanks for the heads up @VK

I am aware of those,... but in a situation where you just need 'set and forget' changing over lenses is a bit painful, (maybe I just need to do what has been mentioned here before- have 3 cameras preset with different lenses... )

Cool- now I can look like that scene out of Apocalypse Now, cool.

Cheers,
    A
  • It had been noted that 45-175mm is fixed in size.
    Also has Power OIS, and power zoom.
    I suggest to look at this new pair of lenses (14-42 X ) for run and gun.
  • Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Such a great community there is here!

Seams like its the 14-140 for now until there is something better, (but then again, a good cinema zoom costs upwards of 20k so lets not kid ourselves).

Was just making sure that I didn't miss something.

Matte box for prime only, (maybe someone can make a T-Shirt of something out of that?)

On a related note- any comments on the 14-140 v's the 14-42/45? (better to go with either- once again for run and gun doco work... plus a bag of primes thrown in for interviews with the nice blurry backgrounds and the cute focus pulls :D )

Cheers,
    You guys rock!
  • no zooms:
    14mm 2.5
    and 25mm 1.4
    both AF but not OIS ...

new G X lens : Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS
    does not extend in length ... (inner zoom)
  • Or the Oly Digital 17mm 1.2:8 pancake - just a tad slower on the autofocus than the 14-140. Plus its noisier, and its a faster lens - nah too bad for run & gun. You can pick it up cheap if u look around. of course its a prime....!
  • No, it does not exist.

The 14-140mm is the best lens you can get with AF and OIS. Alternative is Olympus 12-60 (but much shorter). Your best bet is to wait for the new Panasonic X fast zoom lenses (12-35 and 35-70). But still not comparable to a 10x, 12x or 20x zoom lens on professional video camera systems.

Alternatives are the 17-50 or 24-70 or 24-120 lenses from other lens systems. But these lenses are bulky, do extend most of the times and offer no AF or OIS on the MFT system.
  • Does this even exist?
    >>m43 AF lens with OIS
    >>fast or not is not important
    >>run and gun, but with matte box, so lens must be must be constant length

• @VK
    Sorry to take your time up, I am sure that you have better things to do. Maybe just point me in the right direction? (or is there anyone else online?
  • So, lets sum it up:

m43 AF lens with OIS
    fast or not is not important
    run and gun, but with matte box, so lens must be must be constant length
  • @VK
    I am interested in having a good day to day lens for doco work,... is there anything out there better than the 14-140?

Cheers,
    A
  • >Title of topic is misleading.
    Sorry about that,.. I agree. Should have been something like: Zoom lens with AF etc for run and gun.
  • Title of topic is misleading.
    About 14-140mm - it depends from what you understand under matte box friendly.
    It extends during zoom.

ABout video frindly lenses including zooms:
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/859/video-friendly-lenses-for-lumix-dslrs/