Personal View site logo
Sony A6300 4K 100mbit 14 stops DR little monster, official topic
  • 507 Replies sorted by
  • @eatstoomuchjam More interested in an affordable and lighter weight crop sensor zoom. I'm a little surprised Sigma hasn't adapted the 18-35mm F1.8 to e-mount, seems like it would be a killer combo with this camera (or the A6000 that preceded it).

• Seems to be pretty close to the nx-1. If low light performance is much better, i bought the wrong camera.

• Very promising. I hope the battery life will be sufficient. The a6000 was not the best, so I hope we see an improvement. Any thoughts about if the new image processor etc. will affect this?

• @Tron They just announced a 24-70/2.8 and a 70-200/2.8. I suspect that both will feel a bit front-heavy on the A6300, though.

• C-AF looks very good for video, possibly on par with the Canon dual pixel AF. Could be useful for gimbal work or certain kinds of event shooting (equestrian, sports, etc). Video specs look solid and the sensor tech is intriguing. Makes me wonder if BSI could eventually be replaced by the thin copper wire tech... similar light gathering advantages but probably a cheaper fabrication process than BSI. If they had a fast zoom available in e-mount I might consider picking one up.

• @MarcioK I dont care what they do to it, as long as it has improved noise performance Ill be happy.

• Looks like that the sensor is NOT BSI - even the B&H page is not showing it anymore.

And from the diagrams of the official product page, looks like that the sensor have a conventional structure, only with thinner copper wiring:

http://i.imgur.com/nvqpF5y.png

Comparing with the equivalent picture on the A7RII page, you can see it clearly:

http://i.imgur.com/KFGN8ts.png

• Wow, at long last. Im pretty happy with the specs. Im SO glad the 30+ MP rumors were false. Log profile (woohoo!), sharp 4k, 1080p120 @ 100mbps, MIC INPUT... Thats really all I wanted in this cam to keep the $1k or under price point. Hopefully better noise performance can be expected with the new sensor, this is sorely needed in video mode. Definitely looking forward to upgrading.

Seems like the viewfinder might be pulled form the a6000 though, didnt see any mentioned of anything new about it.

But... why the a6300 name/number? Kinda strange.

• About the REC time limit -> According the official specs:
    "Continuous movie recording is possible for approximately 29 minutes (limited by product specifications)."

But let´s wait for "real life" overheating tests. No IBIS is btw. a good sign for a more stable operation.
    (At least you get a longer REC time that way - Even if it´s limited by an overheating sensor.)

• I was very anxious waiting this camera in 2015, at the end I buy the GX8 body for U$1.304 because I needed a camera of such features for a job. I'm happy with the GX8, but I would like to have the A6300.

Now wait a year for buy for a better price.

• One thing to note is that they again bought some time, as all they showed is presentation, none of the bodies had been sent to reviewers as usual.

• WOW.. Ok Sony great job.. Very impressive little camera for that price point, specs looks awesome they didn't hold back props. Looking forward for some real video samples.

• @roly fingers crossed it is 10bit as well like the GH4!! But I very very strongly suspect it will only be 8bit 422, as the other Sony stills cameras are all so far only 8bit :( :(

All stated reasons for delay was that it had so severe heat problems that can't record 4K for any good time.

So, expect around 15-20 minutes before shutdown.

Yeah, that has been reported reasons in the rumour mills for the delay. But what exactly does "fixed" mean??

Does it mean a 15 minute or so run before switching off (which would be just as bad as the A5100/A6000 in FHD XAVCs), or will it do proper repeated goes of 30 minutes. Hopefully the latter.

• Hopefully the 6300 isn´t overheating again (like the A6000 and A7R II before the latest firmware update).

All stated reasons for delay was that it had so severe heat problems that can't record 4K for any good time.

So, expect around 15-20 minutes before shutdown.

• For sure only 8bits (wouldn´t make sense to offer the A6300 with 10bits - But the A7s II and A7R II only with 8).
    Hmm. Hopefully the 6300 isn´t overheating again (like the A6000 and A7R II before the latest firmware update).

• @kurth

Thanks, I guess we'll have to wait for details.

• In addition to high-resolution internal recording, uncompressed HDMI output also enables the use of an optional external recorder for clean 4K recording with 4:2:2 sampling

says b&h

• @IronFilm

Where did you find the HDMI specs? Presumably 8 bit, up to UHD only.

• @IronFilm

Most specs are in first post.