Personal View site logo
Canon 1D X with AVC Intra frame video mode
  • 83 Replies sorted by
  • Ask yourself how long after the first HD TV the capitalism machine pumped out a 1080p Handycam to go with it. Do same equation with 4K TVs!
  • @EOSHD It was because people like me. I wanted 1080p so I bought it, and paid WAY too much for it (back in the day). I know no one, that wants 4K at home. It's just too much. Nobody needs, or wants it. On a 50 inch TV viewed 1,5 to 2 meters away, you can hardly tell the difference of 720p to 1080p. 1080p to 4K is even more far fetched. 4K will never be main stream.
  • I'd take 4K at home.
  • @Brian202020 I'd take it too. But without telling people, nobody would know the difference (1080p vs. 4K).
  • >nobody would know the difference (1080p vs. 4K).

Not very long ago I remember huge threads how people do not need HD, because their "DVD with upscaling is absolutely the same". Huge threads :-)

4K is very important investment. Even if you'll play or export to 1080p.
  • I saw an 8K TV at the IFA show last month. Up close it was technologically marvellous... incredible... stunning... But at normal viewing distances the reality hits home. It was merely 'good'.

It is telling that the crowd around it were ALL up close to appreciate it rather than standing back as you would in a cinema. And yet cinema in the home is exactly what it is designed for! Logic failure or just good marketing?

@Vitaliy_Kiselev I liked DVD upscaled results :) People need an upscaler for Canon DSLR footage to make it like GH2 footage but there isn't one out for Premiere or Final Cut Pro, which is a lost opportunity.
    IMG_4463.JPG
    2592 x 1936 - 1M
  • @EOSHD

4K and 8K are real targets for home projectors.
    Unfortunately it is very monopolistic market with manufacturers artifically holding prices even for 1080p projectors.
  • Indeed, and consumers are willing to pay to subsidise their bullshit. I picked up a Panasonic AX100 projector for £350 on eBay a few months ago. It is 720p but looks great. Next model along was their update to 1080p and it costs 3x more even 2nd hand. Madness.
  • The difference between a 1080p and 4K projected image will be quite a big leap. I wouldn't mind our HD projector to be 4K.
  • But guys, where you gonna get 4k content? Most movie theaters don't even have 4k. You want some fantabulous projector to look at your own projects? I like my work too, but I don't like it THAT much.
  • @brianluce

Wait a little :-) 4K content will become mainstream in production of small movies fast :-)
    Sensors, LSI and SD cards are almost here.

>I wouldn't mind our HD projector to be 4K.

Good news is that projectors with 4K are not very hard to made.
    Only small LCD matrix manufacturers or DLP chips manufacturers (here it is mostly one manufacturer) are holding it.
    But both already have 4K solutions for cinema theaters.
  • 4k content down-sampled to 1080p will still look better than stock 1080p. A bit like how HD down-sampled and broadcast at SD looks better.

Affordable 4k would be awesome for content makers.
  • Well, you now know of someone else who wants 4K at home! lol
  • To me, 720p (as German/French TV is broadcasting) looks about as great as Blu-ray on my 1080p projector as on a friends 720p one from normal viewing distance. It shows so much more clarity over upscaled DVD that it seems like 35mm vs. 16 in last centuries cinema. Even in todays cinema only the first few rows could see the difference between 4K and 2K, the human vision doesn't resolve it from farther away.

BUT there's a big difference between necessity of 4K for viewing and 4K for production! Having 4K at the source will improve quality even when downscaled, will end moiré issues, will allow better VFX work, re-framing or stabilization. I'd take a 4K camera for a decent price any time, but I won't exchange my projector before it dies.
  • @nomad

It is very controversial topic. I mean ability to see 4K and 1080p difference etc
    Brain and human vision work in quite complicated ways. And I think that many tests are very flawed.
  • That's right, but the SMPTE tests from the nineties are considered widely as precise in the scientific community.

You said "Brain and human vision work in quite complicated ways."
    Totally correct, my neighboring department of Media Sciences is leading some important work in that field. They can already tell that contrast and the integral under the MTF curve is more important for the impression of resolution than limiting MTF as given by manufacturers (read up on Otto Schade's groundbreaking research from last century, seems he was right).
  • 4k is the future. 4K camera. 4K tv. 4K Bluray titles. But another 10 years for mass production?
  • In the economy we are going I don't expect 4k very soon. A 60 inch 1080p inch screen will be plenty for most for a long long time. It is not just a question of the bigger is better but the constraint of room size etc that will play.
  • £6000 body only...i'm keeping the GH2
  • 14 frames per second in the 'mirror up position.' That's so damned close to 24fps!
  • Most major movies are still post-produced at 2K resolution. 4K is great for huge cinemas, but complete overkill at home IMO.

Vincent
  • @Vincent_Pereira
    You're right, but ithe progress of technology is not about to be faster, higher, further? I do not know if you remember what was said about Panasonic HDC 700, 1080 50/60p that this is not a good format, and now 1080 is 50/60p AVCHD standard.
    P.S. You still have the HDC-700? ;-)
  • @Mihuel: The GH2 is my first foray into digital video. I made an independent feature film in the 1990s and it was 16mm film all the way. This is much more convenient, time and cost-efficient, and overall better image quality even given film's better latitude and color space IMO :)

Vincent
  • Vincent Forgive me, I am mistaken you for someone else :-). Still, nice to meet you in this fantastic community that is the personal-view.com. :-)
    By the way, 4k, will become standard in the home whether we like it or not. Why? Because the manufacturers know the Achilles heel of customers. Everyone wants to have a longer dick than his neighbor. The numbers, even if they do not understand, act on the human psyche.