Personal View site logo
Ultra HD Blu-Ray specs finilized
  • The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) today announced completion of the Ultra HD Blu-ray™ specification and released the new logo that will delineate Ultra HD Blu-ray products. The Ultra HD Blu-ray specification, which represents the work of global leaders from the consumer electronics, IT and content creation industries, will enable delivery of Ultra HD content via Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc to the rapidly growing number of UHD TV households

The completed Ultra HD Blu-ray specification addresses a range of factors, beyond simply increasing resolution, that will significantly enhance the home entertainment experience for consumers. In addition to delivering content in up-to 3840x2160 resolution, the Ultra HD Blu-ray format enables delivery of a significantly expanded color range and allows for the delivery of high dynamic range (HDR) and high frame rate content. Next-generation immersive, object-based sound formats will also be delivered via the Ultra HD Blu-ray specification.

New ULTRA HD Blu-ray discs hold up to 66GB and 100GB of data on dual and triple layer discs respectively.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150512005300/en/Blu-ray-Disc-Association-Completes-Ultra-HD-Blu-ray%E2%84%A2#.VVLPLE0cSUn

• 29 Replies sorted by
  • Well, being a cinematic movies enthusiast and owner of a 4k TV I should probably consider myself inside their target audience.

And yet I'm sure they'll go to any lengths to convince me that it's a product meant to annoy, not to delight me.

Such as "implement convoluted, error prone digital restriction management to ensure minimum likelyhood of problem-free replay", "waste the customers time by presenting him unwanted advertisement trailers and 'FBI warnings' of absurd length", "release fewer titles later for more money" and last but not least "deliver unsharp, upscaled, noisy material, since most buyers won't notice anyway and those who do won't get a refund".

But I'll look out for the unlikely pleasant surprise that they might do otherwise.

• Ha. Har de har har. ;-)

And of course, DON'T hold your breath!

Neil

• I guess the death of the physical disc will have to be delayed yet again.

• Asked about the Ultra HD Blu-ray release date, Martin said: "Certainly for Panasonic, and most manufacturers, by IFA time in September we want to have players showing content. By holiday season, we want these to be available."

"It will be high to start with, relatively speaking," Martin said. "But it won't be as severe as some launches in the past, we won't be seeing thousand dollar machines. Maybe two to three times the cost of equivalent HD players. But that wil drop over time."

http://www.whathifi.com/news/ultra-hd-blu-ray-set-september-launch-prices-revealed

Samsung Electronics Co., South Korea’s top tech giant, said Wednesday it plans to launch a Blu-ray player by the end of the year that supports ultra HD (UHD) resolution

http://www.koreaobserver.com/samsung-set-to-release-uhd-blu-ray-player-this-year-28511/

• The question remains as to how onerous the DRM authentication will be considering the wikileaks Sony documents.

I hope online disc authorization is not included. How would you like your expensive UHD Blu-ray collection to suddenly become inoperable when the studios start shutting down the key servers, as they have in the past?

• The question remains as to how onerous the DRM authentication will be considering the wikileaks Sony documents.

Well, something tells me that stakes are too high now. And someone will just make devices that look like HDCP enabled TV to player and output clean 4K HDMI signal. :-)

• The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) will commence licensing the Ultra HD Blu-ray™ format starting August 24, 2015. The format represents the work of global leaders from the consumer electronics, IT and content creation industries and will enable consistent and reliable delivery of Ultra HD content to the rapidly growing number of Ultra HD households, expected to grow from 11.7 million Ultra HD TVs in 2014 to 95.6 million in 2019.*

http://blog.sony.com/press/blu-ray-disc-association-to-commence-licensing-of-ultra-hd-blu-ray/

• Bring on the disc and players! It is too hard to use the 4k output on my GH4 and A7s for anything but DownRes 1080P now. Mainly I have a problem with 4k storage and playback.

• @RRRoger

Consumer rewritable discs industry is near death, and I have doubts that it is possible to make reliable rewritable disc here (I even see no plans). But HDDs, and you absolutely do not need hardware players.

• As much as I hate patents and royalties, I am for industry standards that mark real delivery dates, hence I am for the player since... If you like to make money and sell physical media, this solves part of the streaming quality and HDR conundrum.

Most 4K I've experienced has looked terrible, due to delivery and compression issues- the streaming ability is not there in my area to sustain the data rates at "consumer" prices. It takes me out of the experience for films, but is "OK" for TV content.

I think the open alliance is a better step for encrypted streaming media, wish it was available now and supported HDR, 3D, VR , HFR and 8K so we can get on with better things...

Samsung announced player

sales8.jpg
    800 x 504 - 51K

sales24.jpg
    745 x 404 - 30K
  • To coincide with the availability of Ultra HD Blu-ray™ players in the marketplace in early 2016, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will be offering four titles on Ultra HD Blu-ray at initial launch showcasing 4K Ultra HD resolution with High Dynamic Range (HDR), offering consumers a sharper, brighter and more colorful home entertainment viewing experience than ever before.

The first available titles will be Mad Max: Fury Road, San Andreas, The Lego Movie and Pan. Following quickly will be theatrical new release titles available day and date with their initial home entertainment release as well as a selection of catalog titles throughout the year including Man of Steel and Pacific Rim. By the end of 2016, Warner Bros. will have over 35 titles available on Ultra HD Blu-ray. To complement the disc releases, Warner Bros. will also expand the titles available on 4K Ultra HD with HDR via digital retailers. Dolby Atmos® will also be included on select titles for a truly immersive home theater experience.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/warner-bros-home-entertainment-announces-first-ultra-hd-blu-ray-titles-300197659.html

• You could just take a regular blu-ray player and add H265 decoding.

• You could just take a regular blu-ray player and add H265 decoding.

Sorry, I do not understand you.

4K Blu Ray disks are different actually, have bigger capacity. All else is also different.

• Sure, the discs have a different capacity, but you can fit a 4K movie on a Blu-Ray no problem if you store it in HEVC and just add a decoder. Hopefully, the new player will allow you to do just that, with a Blu-Ray burner, just like you can burn a Blu-Ray onto a DVD disc using H264 and play it back on a Blu-Ray player.

• So we will need to buy new disc burners, new discs an so on. Ok, we cannot stop it, but meanwhile would be simple if major brands could release a fw update to their actual bd top line readers, so to support the reading of a common 25GB blu ray disc containing ultra hd stuff (or it's already reality?). For now I will continue giving to my clients 4k videos on a usb pen.

• They never really got all the bugs out of the Blu-Ray players......well, we'll see.....someone must think there is a market there.

• Budget stuff is coming soon

MediaTek MT8581 SoC will power Blu-ray players that use both UHD and high-dynamic range imaging (HDR). Mass production for the MT8581 is scheduled to kick off in the second half of 2016, the company said.

• Yet some positive news come

The device shown above is a $199 video peripheral that Warner Brothers doesn't think should have been in anyone's Christmas stocking. Until just hours ago, it was available for online purchase.

The devices, sold by an organization called HD Fury, allowed HD video to be moved around and displayed on devices that wouldn't normally be equipped to handle the content. To do that, the devices stripped out the entertainment industry's copy protection, called HDCP. The "HD Fury Integral," pictured above, was able to strip out even the newest version, HDCP 2.2, which protects Ultra HD or "4K" video content.

zebra639.jpg
    615 x 456 - 40K
  • The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Salt, Hancock, Chappie, Pineapple Express, and The Smurfs 2 constitute the first batch of Ultra HD Blu-rays that will be released by Sony Pictures in early 2016, and each will feature Dolby Atmos.

Huh

• @Vitaliy - Thanks for the tip on the HDFury Integral. I just ordered one. I'll review as soon as I have a chance to test it.