Personal View site logo
Metabones lens speed booster adapter, focal reducer
  • 873 Replies sorted by
  • I bought a bmpcc speedbooster. I took the rear plastic bumper off my canon 17-55mm ef-s to make it fit. When i power the bmpcc it works fine (IS too) until I zoom in, then the lens stops down and starts clicking like crazy. When I zoom out it works ok again. It seems like the lens showing a zoom change creates this strange reaction.

I know this lens isn't supported but it sounds like a firmware issue rather than a hardware one. Some people say they have made them work,

But mine doesn't Has anyone gotten ef-s lenses to work on speedboosters? thanks

Also, metabones has no old firmware, does anyone have old firmware that I could experiment with?

• Hi guys, does anyone knows if it's possible to use a ff lens with metabones 0.71 to aps-c and then, this aps-c mount to metabones 0.71 to m4/3 ? Could this be the way to take the whole image circle from a ff to m4/3 ?

• @starios, why not just use a Metabones EF to BMPCC 0.58x Speed Booster, which would get you close to a Full Frame on m4/3 or just use a Metabones EF to m4/3 XL 0.64x

"The new Speed Booster XL 0.64x reduces the full-frame crop factor of the Panasonic GH4 from 2.0x to 1.28x, thus effectively transforming these cameras into APS-H format. When the GH4 is used in Cinema 4k video mode the horizontal full frame crop factor is reduced from 2.34x to 1.50x, thus effectively transforming the GH4 into a super-35 format 4k cine camera. In addition, the speed of any attached lens is increased by 11/3 stops, with a maximum output aperture of f/0.80 when an f/1.2 lens is used. For example, a 50mm f/1.2 becomes a 32mm f/0.80, which is the fastest aperture available for full size Micro Four Thirds format."

• @Aria @starios
    Despite reading & seeing some internet videos/blog posts (aka: internet bable) that this was a good idea 1 year ago:

"why not just use a Metabones EF to BMPCC 0.58x Speed Booster"

It is absolutely not a good idea unless you like the outer ⅓ of your image mushy and so much distortion that round objects near the edge of frame are no longer round. yes only the innermost ⅓ of the image was sharp.

If you want to try anyway, I have one I could sell you. I will be selling it soon, since it is useless for MFT.

It didn't clear the GH2 shutter. On the GH4 it presses enough on the shutter that you cannot use the mechanical shutter and must use "silent mode" / "E shutter" It also leaves on imprint on the cover in front of the GH4 shutter.

My experience is based on using Nikkor AIS FF lenses with the BMPCC 0.58x speed booster on a GH4.

FYI, @BrianC1959 the SB optical designer wrote somewhere here, this combo was a bad idea, I wish I had listened.

• @Aria I'm not thinkink about buying 2 speedboosters of course :) I'm just wondering about any way of using effectively the whole FF img circle in m43, cause, there are 24-70 2.8 FFs, but there are not 17-50 2.0 APCs, it's me looking for the best all in one lens in m4/3

• Anyway, if anybody has both metabones to aps-c and to m4/3 0.71 it would be a great test for a FF to m/43, thank you guys for your response :)

• @starios it is not possible. Please read about focal flange distance and you will know the reason why it is not possible.

• So basically the best option is likely the Metabones Canon EF to MFT XL 0.64x Speed Booster. It's not quite FF but much closer than any other option.

• @Aria Correct!!!! "XL 0.64x Speed Booster."

• I am using gh4 + metabones XL for canon EF with Samyang cine lenses.

Today I did some testing in CineD and vlog. Once the light meter was balanced all shot and exposure looked quite dark.

Does the light meter still work correctly with metabones? How do you judge exposure? What zebra level do you use? You guys have special settings?

• Need help!

Just got my Samyang 16 mm T2.2 for Canon EF that I use on GH4 with metabones XL. I am unable to get a sharp picture on infinit focus. I am only able to set focus on closer Items up to round 2 meters. Any one can help?

• Also how will adjustmenst affect my other lenses?

• @Alexauwa

Do NOT post 3 messages, just edit old.

Adjusting infinity on adapter side will affect all lenses the same. I am sure you know how other lenses behave on same adapter. If issue is with one lens - fix this lens.

• Someone ever adjust infinit focus on speefbooster XL by hand? It tried today but the inner glass was not rotating at all.

• Name: Firmware update V2.1 for for Canon EF to Micro Four Thirds Smart AdapterTM/Speed BoosterTM

• Release date: 19 Feb 2016
    • Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera autofocus support
    • Added support for Blackmagic Micro Studio Camera 4k
    • Fixed bug with EF400mm f/5.6L and EF Extender 1.4x where even after Extender is removed max aperture remains at f/8
    • Improved contrast-detect autofocus accuracy on Olympus

http://metabones.com/article/of/EF-M43_Firmware_Win

• do these two newer speed boosters below work with the GH2?

http://metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPEF-M43-BT4

http://metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPEF-m43-BT3

cant find any compatibility info regarding GH2

• The 0.71x ULTRA (BT4) is the latest general-purpose Speed Booster, and it will work fine with all m43 cameras, including the GH2. The 0.64x XL takes maximum advantage of the latest GH cameras (and some others), but is incompatible with certain older cameras like the GH2 due to mechanical interference. Check the compatibility chart for more details.

• @brianc1959 many thanks for the informations. Where can I find the compatibility chart? on metabones.com they only show a table for gh4, bmpcc and so on.

• The compatibility chart is the one with red or green filled boxes on your second link.