Personal View site logo
Canon 1D X with AVC Intra frame video mode
  • 83 Replies sorted by
  • True True^^ hey im praying its a good cam, Im a canon guy all day... Would love to see them do something that competes with this little GH2... if it isnt 4:2:2 then its not gonna be a game changer I dont think
  • If I am not mistaken those videos where shot at 12500 and 25000 ISO. The encoding is also very bad and I think the camera is in beta form because it will not launch until march next year. So every judgement is a little premature.
  • It's true that it's H.264, but so is Panasonic's AVCIntra, and that codec is beautiful as well as 422.
  • I love how many people around the web are bitching about GOP1 176mbit in the GH2, "what a waste of space for nothing" and now they are all excited for the 350mbit intra of this new camera... people its still shitty ole H.264
  • pixel peeping I see issues in the blacks... also it doesnt seem to like blue, that blue wall was going artifact CRAZY
  • @EOSHD "Some nasty aliasing in that video clip, hope it is just the crap web format they've used."

Yeah look at the beard stubble in the shot where he's laying down. That sucks. Maybe I'll keep my AF/GH2 combo.
  • With all of the talent at Canon, you would think they would have someone who could do a better job of encoding video for the web! Hopefully there will be better encoded video from other sources soon so that we can judge the true Aliasing and moire handling capabilities of this camera.
  • More features coming to light

Capitative touch pad for silent operation of controls whilst recording video

Manual audio control. Meta data recorded to THM file for video clips. Up to ISO 51,200 in video mode

... And I still prefer the GH2 :) We have i-frame codec for free!

Some nasty aliasing in that video clip, hope it is just the crap web format they've used.
  • if it's 422 and the aliasing an moire are on par with the GH2, I might sell my GH2 and AF100.
  • Wow, specs look pretty awesome. I didn't see anything regarding color space. I wonder if the high bitrate I-Frame format is still 420.
  • I like it. Maybe it's too early to say.
  • Well, "less moire than any Canon DSLR before" isn't hard to do…

But then, even the FS100/F3 has some.
  • I haven't read "no moire" anywhere, just "less moire than any Canon DSLR before".
    I suspect the linked video was shot on 1Dx, it wouldn't make much sense to show point of view footage from another camera?! Optional codecs is a good sign.

Marketing poster made me laugh :)
  • Is that canon link Pixcanfly linked was shot with the 1dx?
    If so I can see plenty of alaising/moire..some shots are conveniently out of focus to hide it also.
    Could be shot with something else though....like 7d or mk5 II
    I could get excited about this camera but like all full frame cameras with video its too expensive/bulky for me.
    One for Canon posers methinks...or those who like to piss money up a wall just because its "pro"
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev "Can't handle necessary readout speed, I think."

I thought bigger sensors (surface area) would allow faster heat dissipation? I mean it's reading out 60fps already... just in 720p mode. ???

• what about dynamic range ? for me,it is the from now most important feature to add to new cam ...
    it seems to be the same as 5DM2 ...
  • This camera is pretty wow. just saw this little video from Canon.
    http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/product/cameras/eos-1d_x/pr_movie.do
  • >why is there no 60fps mode in 1080p? This just doesn't make any sense

This is full frame sensor.
    Can't handle necessary readout speed, I think.
    If you fast forward few years you'll see why Nikon used so small sensor and why m43 will have video advantage.
  • I remember a few months ago when people though we were crazy for pushing low/no-gop... :)

Still... why is there no 60fps mode in 1080p? This just doesn't make any sense.
  • 355 Mb/s??? Holy Crap!
  • The 1D X offers two compression options, including 'All-I,' a very low compression format that offers high image quality and editability but at the cost of immense files (a 16Gb card will hold around 6 minutes of footage). The alternative is a more standard IPB compression that takes up around 1/12th of the space

Bitrate seems to be very large. 30Mb/s in IPB and 355Mb/s in I?
  • I'm kinda excited to see the video samples from this camera. At least it sounds like video mode has had an overhaul
  • new file splitting function allows for continuous video recording up to 29 minutes and 59 seconds across multiple 4GB files

Sounds like not all idiots in Canon are exterminated.
    Saving few bucks on European tax for $7000 camera. Nuts.