Personal View site logo
SanDisk Extreme SDHC Cards
  • 437 Replies sorted by
  • @NICKBEN- Sandisk told me the more you format the card the speed will decrease so I sudjest a sandisk card. I have done some format tests with some less brandand card and found that if you format (FAT32) and set the allocation unite size lesser each time it sets the card is able to handle bigger files but at slows speed. If you set it to higher allocation unite size its faster but the memory then can only handle smaller chunck file sizes. It makes some difference on less expensive class 10 cards. It helps stop the "recording stopped due to the limitaton writing speed of the card"- possibly because the memory card cannot keep of with the large chunks of bandwidth.

What is a limitation for me now is the limit of video clips I can record in different modes, e.g. 4 mins for 24p and 8 mins for 50i. Also because of the bit rate is higher it reduces the over all time limit too 30 mins 50i and 20 mins 24p. As we do more tests with cards we should be able to get round this.
  • @NickBen - please consider the SanDisk. We've had bad luck with the Transcend and 176.
  • @NickBen Thanks for the info on your testing the Transcend card. I'll be getting a new card for the Driftwood 176mbit patch, and I'm considering the Transcend. Have you tried shooting until the card is full? I'm curious to know if the speed is consistent. Let me know how your tests go over the next few days as I'm very curious.
  • @drogo Yes, so far GOP1 has been more than 90% reliable so far for me on the Transcend SDXC on 4 days testing. Funny enough, scenes I think would give it hell don't, and worst failure during shooting simple nature scenes of fall leaves rustling on the ground in wind and beaver house on rippling water in ETC mode. Would record 2 seconds then stop. Most of the time I can hit record again and it would work, but not those two instances for some reason. BTW, I always shoot with manual prime lens on mechanical adapter with Shutter priority enabled in the menu, and Cinema (-2,-2,0-2). Maybe I need to power down, remove battery, or establish format procedure aside from camera format of some sort.

I will try latest patch setting tomorrow and rest of weekend to see if it works well.

• @NickBen How much shooting did you do with the Transcend 64GB card before the failures occurred? How many tests did you do? Would you say that card is more than %80 reliable with the Driftwood 176mbps patch?
  • TRANSCEND 64GB SDXC

While using the Driftwood 176 Gop1 patch after 2 days of testing my 64GB Transcend SDXC card, I had 2 times the card couldn't handle the patch, but worked on second attempt.

Amazingly, it ate up my own torture test without missing a beat, yet failed on what I thought to be an easy shot at the time, but second attempt worked fine.
  • @Alex, Year been looking into memory cards for that Patch and there doesn't seem to be a lot that will handle the speed. Trouble is most manufacturers seem to mention the read speed on the card rather than the write speed. Has anyone tested this card on Dirftwoods 176 GO1: SanDisk Extreme® Pro™ SDXC™ UHS-I 64GB

One place that sells it is cheap as chips, hummm o really lol: http://www.cheapchips.com.au/memory/sandisk-sdxc-extreme-pro-uhs-1-64gb-95mbsec-600x-new.html
    product_1231.jpg
    220 x 291 - 50K
  • I did some test shooting today using Sir Driftwoods 176 GOP1. The Sandisk Extreme class 10 SDHC 32GB had no issues. The Lexar SDHC class 10 128GB fails not instantly but as soon as the going gets tough (high motion, fine detail). 128GB would have been great for a hacked GH2 :-(
  • FYI: After speaking extensively with SanDisk tech support , I'd advise Hack users to try the SanDisk "95MB/s" rated UHS-1 Extreme Pro cards or the 30MB/s SDHC extreme cards, and skip the UHS-1 "45MB/s" cards.

I believe any issue with "45MB/s" UHS-1 media and the GH2 (and imac for that matter) is the camera doesn't read the card at UHS speed natively since UHS-1 cards have twice as many pins as SD and SDXC cards in order to achieve those maximum rates.

So, a "45MB/s" UHS-1 card may transfer data at Significantly slower rates in reality on a SD /SDXC
    device, and they only guarantee a minimum Class 10 rating.

This is why now, for the SAME PRICE, Sandisk and other manufacturers are now releasing "95MBps" UHS-1 cards.

One thing is for certain, they will not tell me what the maximum transfer rate that's guaranteed using a UHS-1 card on an SDXC device, only the minimum of Class 10.

Hope this helps anybody interested in Sandisk media...
  • Just to chime in, I've been using 8GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 45/MB sec cards with driftwoods 176mb GOP1 hack and I haven't had any issues at all.

Purchased from best buy, so they're legit.

I also have a class 10 PNY professional that dies after 3 seconds with the same hack.
  • I conducted a little test on my SD card "collection". I just got a 30MB/s rated Sandisk SDHC extreme 32GB to get ready for the hack and wanted to test it against other cards I have.

The SD cards:
    Sandisk Extreme 32GB SDHC class 10
    Lexar 128GB SDXC class 10
    Transcend 64GB SDXC class 10
    Transcend 16GB SDHC class 6

Test setup:
    1) cheap USB 2.0 card reader 2) Kingston ExpressCard SD card adapter -> MacBook Pro 2011 -> Blackmagic DiskSpeedTest
    All cards where formatted using the GH2.

Results:

Sandisk Extreme 32GB SDHC class 10
    USB Write 14,9 MB ExpressCard adapter 14,4 MB
    USB Read 20,6 MB ExpressCard adapter 18,8 MB

Lexar 128GB SDXC class 10
    USB Write 15,8 MB ExpressCard adapter 15,3 MB
    USB Read 20,4 MB ExpressCard adapter 18,5 MB

Transcend 64GB SDXC class 10
    USB Write 18 MB ExpressCard adapter 17 MB
    USB Read 20 MB ExpressCard adapter 18 MB

Transcend 16GB SDHC class 6
    USB Write 9.2 MB ExpressCard adapter 9,2 MB
    USB Read 16,5 MB ExpressCard adapter 15,4 MB
  • OK, i bought today:
    SanDisk SDHC Extreme HD Video 32GB, 30MB/s,
    will test it ...
  • @Gabel
    there is also
    http://www.kjell.com/?item=91607&path=
    Video HD same 30Mb/s which is better ?
    Anyone else compared these two ?
  • @Gabel You might want to hold on a little, driftwood will post a speed test reviews of all these cards next week.
  • While it is in Swedish... These looks like our culprit:
    http://www.kjell.com/?item=91607&path=

I'll call them tomorrow to order them!
  • @Gabel

if you can find them cheap then yes, I'd go for it. Haven't heard anything bad about them.
    They're around $100 here in Germany, for a 16gb card. Yes, THAT much. The "new" versions are only at a third of that price, also 16gb.
  • Well from what I've gathered then... I might as well get the "old" regular Extreme cards, to be on the safe side?
  • "Maybe the UHS-I 30mb/s cards are enough after all... "
    Lets hope so, I just bought one. Dont want to spend another 90 € on 32 Gb... guess I will keep the 64 GB Sandisk for shooting long stuff in low mode.
  • @Gabel

Yeah, the Extreme HD Video 30mb/s is working for me as well with diftwood's latest 176mb setting, however I didn't test with charts or extreme settings, max bitrate I got so far was 144mbit/s. No write errors or other glitches so far, playback is very smooth as well.

Maybe the UHS-I 30mb/s cards are enough after all...
  • Just did a test with driftwood's 176mb "GOPStoppa" at both 60p and 24p with iso 3200, shutter at 250 on the Pappas death chart. My Transcend died straight away but the Sandisk Extreme HD Video had no problem at all.

But I'm buying some new cards next week to hold up to the new hack. After reading this, I'm wondering if I should go for the Extreme HD Video 30mb/s or spend $1.5 more to get the old regular Extreme cards? As I understand, the old ones work better with the GH2, right?

Again, price is not that much of an issue for me, I need cards that won't handle it with this hack on a set... Not something the client likes to hear to put it mildly...
  • Okay, I give up.
    Is ther any vendor in Europe who still sells the older 30MB/s Extreme III non UHS-I cards?
    I bought from 3 different vendors now, all claiming to have this version, yet all I get send everytime is the UHS-I!!

So frustrating...
  • @Vitality.....a bit left field seemd to be related because its when you have the memory card in your PC :-)
  • @chrimsbroome

>"you know you cannot play the video files once you have hacked the camera"

Where you got it?

This is Sandisk Extreme topic :-)
  • @all a little trick I came across....if you want to delete the video content without formatting the card you can delete all files in the CLIPINF, PLAYLIST & STREAM folders. On the SD card -->PRIVATE--->AVCHD--->BDMV subfolders.

As you know you cannot play the video files once you have hacked the camera. It is a bit messy to try and delete all the videos on the camera (with the delete function), which results in the camera stateing some files cannot be deleted.

A little trick that every little helps.