Personal View site logo
20 Megabyte a second setting
  • 63 Replies sorted by
  • True, but the moment you shoot the sea or something tasking, it "may" shit the bed.

I believe driftwood will find the sweet spot for GOP1 ! at least with our current ptool. Maybe VK will dig up some more goodies in the next rev.
  • @svem, we're using the card with all of driftwoods settings with very good results. Perfect, I should say (though to be clear, I'm not testing on deathcharts, etc, just using a lot on shoots and at home).
  • @driftwood . Not so fast. It's true that stable-at-all-setting patches are best, but in the meantime, I say bring on the redlined/low iso patches as well. With a couple of bodies at our disposal, I like the idea of having different options to choose from, with one set to max bitrate. Please don't see this as a confrontation. I'm using 100% Driftwood settings these days and very happily so. But some edge-of-the seat, can't-pass-all-the-tests settings are desired too.
  • @cosimo_bullo

How far were you able to push the SDSDRX3-032G-A21 UHS-1 card with it still being stable?
  • @HenryO Mate, A lot of us have done patches that weve never released that can 'push the limits' (and do 20Mbps) but people want alll-round stability. You're Holy Grail settting does indeed 'Holy fail' after 2 seconds on death charts :-( Out in the field it looked good, in reality its not fully useable.
    I can give you a GOP1 which maintains very high i frames out in the field but as soon as you hit hi detail, hi isos/shutter variations, EX TELE youre asking for trouble.
    Sadly, after doing some basic trees of death, death chart testing, this is not the evolution in patches we were hoping for. But keep trying mate - and test chart it first. ;-)
    Also, its nice of Vitaliy to allow you to have your own thread. :-)
  • @driftwood

It would be interesting to see some transfer rates before and after such a format.
    Do you think there's a connection on UHS-1 cards? After a format my card isn't crashing at all, even with the most extreme settings. I cannot really compare since my current cardreader is too slow, still waiting for a new USB 3.0 one to arrive...
  • It is fine with Pana lenses in manual mode. Auto focus will likely crash. Just shot for an hour again and not a single dropout. I am shooting with some restrictions as its pushing the limits. These are the limits which for some are deal breakers. No high isos, ( single speed film he he he), Auto focus, ex tele, slow cards. If you can live within them, you will love the footage.
  • @driftwood
    "at32 LLF"

Can we just zero out the SD card using Mac Disk Utility and then reformat in the camera.
  • Tried this one, unfortunately it chokes with the Panasonic lenses. Motion stopped recording almost immediately with the 14mm Panasonic lens.
  • yeah. Sometimes you have to rid yourself of the miniOS on the UHS-I cards.
  • Windows?
  • I have the Sandisk UHS1cards , however I read the thread that suggests avoidance so thats why I put that in there. The older one is flawless here.
  • @driftwood

The GH2 menu doesn't seem to have low level formatting. I remember my Canon t2i having low level format option in the menu but I haven't seen it or found it in the GH2 yet.

What method or software do you use to low level format out of the camera?
  • @svem low level format them then theyll be fine Ive found.
  • @svem - I think you're good. We're using the card you listed with great luck. If I understand correctly, these are the ones to avoid:

http://www.adorama.com/IDS32GEPUHSI.html

@all - I loved the old 132 gop 3... until gop 1 started really working... hard to imagine going back to gop 3 now, though for sure we'll give it a try.
  • "Avoid UHS1 cards for now."

Ah crap.

I just ordered and received two SanDisk 32GB, Class 10 Extreme cards( SDSDRX3-032G-A21 ):

http://www.adorama.com/IDSSD32GEC10.html

It has UHS-1 on the cover.

These SanDisk cards are so confusing and hard to find the right ones.

So the cards I bought above are not suitable for GH2 hacks? Especially the news hacks that are being developed?

Anyone working with a SDSDRX3-032G-A21 UHS-1 card? Is it working fine for you? Do I have to return mine to get the hacks to work?

• Holy fail LOL. You crack me up.

Sorry guys but like I said I am away from main internet. Ah yes AQ3 setting may give better stability. Sorry guys but I had no failures when I tested it in good light yesterday. It is pushing the limits so hey perhaps I got lucky. The bit rate can be turned down a bit as well I suppose. For what it is worth 20 meg constant out of this camera is astounding so lets enjoy it.

@Driftwood Would love your 186 gop1.Is it constant? The quantmebaby gave was amazing but didnt give consistent rates in my experience
  • This has a certain 'Man falls off bike sensation!'
  • Yeah I couldn't resist it though... ;-) He knows Im joking, Henry is widely respected - when he announces something its usually BIG news. It's a bloody good setting and I think if he tunes it more he's onto reliable AQ4. B ut yeah, its excellent with AQ3. What Henry's done is got the frame limit & frame buffers just right with the bitrate and I know how long that must have taken. Top work. :-)
    And, for the record, Henry's setting boots my 132M patch into oblivion. Its much better.
  • @driftwood, harsh words there...
    After a few short (1-2min) initial test clips, it seems MUCH more stable with AQ3
    About to check for cadence problems now
  • Henry, This is turning out to be Holy Fail rather than Holy Grail. Its close to being stable but you need to test it more. wotsit like on AQ3?!
  • Does this work well with Nanoflash external recorder. U mentioned some hassles.
  • I'm having Write-Errors on my 8GB &16GB Class 10 Sandisk Extreme 30MB/s cards. I can only record about 10-30 seconds before it craps out. Is it safe to lower the bitrate down until it becomes stable? I'd like to lower to 170 and see if that helps or maybe I can do AQ3

Looks GREAT though :D
  • The images look great but anything more than moderate detail crashes every card I have tried.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions