Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
20 Megabyte a second setting
  • 63 Replies sorted by
  • I have the Sandisk UHS1cards , however I read the thread that suggests avoidance so thats why I put that in there. The older one is flawless here.
  • Windows?
  • yeah. Sometimes you have to rid yourself of the miniOS on the UHS-I cards.
  • Tried this one, unfortunately it chokes with the Panasonic lenses. Motion stopped recording almost immediately with the 14mm Panasonic lens.
  • @driftwood
    "at32 LLF"

Can we just zero out the SD card using Mac Disk Utility and then reformat in the camera.
  • It is fine with Pana lenses in manual mode. Auto focus will likely crash. Just shot for an hour again and not a single dropout. I am shooting with some restrictions as its pushing the limits. These are the limits which for some are deal breakers. No high isos, ( single speed film he he he), Auto focus, ex tele, slow cards. If you can live within them, you will love the footage.
  • @driftwood

It would be interesting to see some transfer rates before and after such a format.
    Do you think there's a connection on UHS-1 cards? After a format my card isn't crashing at all, even with the most extreme settings. I cannot really compare since my current cardreader is too slow, still waiting for a new USB 3.0 one to arrive...
  • @HenryO Mate, A lot of us have done patches that weve never released that can 'push the limits' (and do 20Mbps) but people want alll-round stability. You're Holy Grail settting does indeed 'Holy fail' after 2 seconds on death charts :-( Out in the field it looked good, in reality its not fully useable.
    I can give you a GOP1 which maintains very high i frames out in the field but as soon as you hit hi detail, hi isos/shutter variations, EX TELE youre asking for trouble.
    Sadly, after doing some basic trees of death, death chart testing, this is not the evolution in patches we were hoping for. But keep trying mate - and test chart it first. ;-)
    Also, its nice of Vitaliy to allow you to have your own thread. :-)
  • @cosimo_bullo

How far were you able to push the SDSDRX3-032G-A21 UHS-1 card with it still being stable?
  • @driftwood . Not so fast. It's true that stable-at-all-setting patches are best, but in the meantime, I say bring on the redlined/low iso patches as well. With a couple of bodies at our disposal, I like the idea of having different options to choose from, with one set to max bitrate. Please don't see this as a confrontation. I'm using 100% Driftwood settings these days and very happily so. But some edge-of-the seat, can't-pass-all-the-tests settings are desired too.
  • @svem, we're using the card with all of driftwoods settings with very good results. Perfect, I should say (though to be clear, I'm not testing on deathcharts, etc, just using a lot on shoots and at home).
  • True, but the moment you shoot the sea or something tasking, it "may" shit the bed.

I believe driftwood will find the sweet spot for GOP1 ! at least with our current ptool. Maybe VK will dig up some more goodies in the next rev.
  • In my experience with the GH1, the reliability testing effort quadrupled after I pushed performance into the 75-100Mbps range. I suspect that for the GH2, bitrates above 100Mbps provoke similar stability issues. What happens at high bitrates is that the safety margins of various internal modules become thin enough to interact with each other in unexpected ways. Buffer overflows are particularly challenging to diagnose as they can sneak up on you abruptly without warning.
  • @cosimo_bullo

I agree with you. I have a number of cameras and to have one that can do a specific function I think is another quiver to the bow. I am a musician and I will not really need to shoot hi-movement videos when I get to shooting soon. I will continue to tweak however till it improves in that area.

I haven't shot death charts yet but I am shooting a bit of random stuff. I shot the whole of yesterday and NO crashes in daylight. High isos yes at night but it was 3200. Again - maybe I am lucky but I am not having as many issues as others. If it doesn't work for you guys then so be it, I just couldn't contain my excitement at this break through. I am enjoying it and apologies to those with issues

Download the originals on Vimeo

• Looks awesome Henry. Wish I were getting that stability with it, the clarity definitely looks the best out of everything posted. Have you tried it on AQ3?
  • Henry, I must admit your second video looks jaw dropping good!
    Simply amazing.

If you or someone else can find a way to maintain what your setting is doing now and clamp it down
    on the highest demands that currently crash it, this will be unreal.

This little camera has made dust gather on my other cameras. Even ones that are considerably more expensive.

And BTW, yes this hack does rock! lol

Very smart panning to the side of her face in the shadows. We ALL know how bad this can look under those hard light (bright sun) conditions. The stock footge would of been blocky in the shadows of her face.
    fucking nice! thanks

• Hey guys - yeah I was surprised when I got home how good it looked.

@Isaac_B sorry it crashed on you. Have you got one of the original sandisk 30mb/s cards. That has made a big difference for me. With my old 110 mbps patch it choked until I used the faster card and then no issues save for the odd stressful ones mentioned already ( ex tele, high isos , auto focus.)
    Haven't tried AQ3 because I haven't really had issues.
  • @HenryO
    That second clip looks amazing.

I do agree that should test your patches better. Your 24L setting is utter crap. I shot a death chart with it and it is all over the place. Bad cadence, buffer issues.... not good. I can't even test the 24H setting as I don't have the Sandisk card that's needed to sustain the writing speed.

I hope someone can do some proper Death Chart testing as it is essential to know beforehand what your patch can or can't do. Circumstances aren't always what you want and you have to know how reliable your patch is when things don't go according to plan. I hope someone can test this thoroughly.
  • @Henry0

I'm using those exact Sandisk cards. Tried the patch with manual Contax Zeiss lenses and with the 14mm Panasonic on manual, still stopped motion recording a couple seconds in.
  • @HenryO
    That was amazing, hell good :-)
  • @Isaac_B shucks that sucks.

@sohus - Sorry mate but I never focused on the 24L. Don't even know what it is set at. I hope that it is clear that am going for maximum performance here so the 24L didn't really figure. Folks can put their own settings there for what it's worth.

This patch was conceived for those going for grading wiggle room and sharpness. If you are not in that camp and are going to be shooting fast moving stuff like lots of waves or crazy traffic, it probably will fail. No brainer there and no need to test. There is something to be said for death charts but I am pragmatic about it. There are many shooting situations where the codec will not be stressed. If you are going to be shooting stuff that may cause issues, there are tonnes of other patches that are RELIABLE. This is not about reliability but quality. You can throw the baby out with the bath water here and say well because it doesn't do this or that then the patch is useless and some seem to be concluding that. Well so be it but I was not going for an all-rounder but a patch that enabled me to get near the quality I am used to with HDMI capture.

Have a good one
  • @HenryO LOL! I love your responses.
  • @HenryO
    What is quality worth when your shot fails in an import scene or once in a lifetime shot? You won't see it until you get home. If you are just testing fine, but this is not production-safe. Period.

I do agree that death charts aren't everything either. But there is a balance here.
  • @sohus Let's just live with the fact that this patch as is comes with some caveats.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions