Personal View site logo
GH4 Firmware 2.3, V-log for $99, Epic Panasonic marketing fail
  • 1451 Replies sorted by
  • Guy from Panasonic at NAB said the "L" stands for lite/light as they wanted to make sure everyone knew it wasn't the same V-LOG that's available for the Varicam.

• @alcomposer Quote: We all know what it can do. Look at what black magic can do- and what Sony can do. The question is if Panasonic will LET it happen. Let's put it this way: why did v-log take 18 months???! UnQuote:

It was first mentioned 9 months ago actually...not 18 months

Who knows tho...its Panasonic!!! LOL!! Yeah they sure dragged their feet on it, I didn't put my life on hold tho, too much else going on. Maybe if they make enough money on it. they may feel kind and benevolent and toss the poor semi-pro users some free firmware sweeteners to keep us in the Panny pocket ha ha ha... I'll get it once I see some solid reviews

• We kind of have been waiting for vlog since gh4 hit shelves. The fact that it was missing only gave Sony huge sales. VK knows- marketing epic fail. (And that comment is only because we love panny! Otherwise we would drink champagne!)

Actually I am still waiting! At this stage I can't even purchase because I am not in USA!!! @VK can we get a bulk order happening??

• I always order internationally from B&H - they accept Paypal or Credit Card from most any country - unlike other vendors. Even purchased my Adobe CC plan from there which Adobe didn't let me purchase from abroad directly.

• @alcomposer

May be, with instant delivery by photo :-)

• Is the 2.3 firmware downloadable from somewhere? I cannot find it, and I'm wondering if it includes anything else?

• Is the 2.3 firmware downloadable from somewhere?

It won't be available until mid September, or December if someone at Panasonic PR will sleep as they usually do each day. We now see fail after fail after fail.

• What I would like to know is what other goodies are in 2.3. I am hoping for frame lines / crop marks.

• From the Panasonic site:

Estimated Ship Date: Mid September Features LUMIX GH4 function enhancement for film production/professional videographers

Increases dynamic range from 10 stops to 12 stops

Makes color grading easier with improved compatibility between LUMIX GH4 and Panasonic Varicam

V-Log / V-Log L were developed to feature similar characteristic to Cineon

$ 99.99

http://m.shop.panasonic.com/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/lumix-interchangeable-lens-ilc-cameras/DMW-SFU1-VLOG.html

• I prefer 10000 times to give 99$ to @Vitaliy_Kiselev for making FINALLY this GH4 H:A:C:K happen!!!

Do IT !!!

• @AKED

Yes, we have it few pages before. Question was about firmware and other improvements.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Then I wonder why there were these questions about the content of the update.

• Then I wonder why there were these questions about the content of the update.

Because it is only V-LOG announcement, and they ask about full list of changes.

• Well, that is what you get when you look fot firmware update 2.3 Is there any more?

• Well, that is what you get when you look fot firmware update 2.3 Is there any more?

No one knows, it is not released.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Quote: It won't be available until mid September, or December if someone at Panasonic PR will sleep as they usually do each day. We now see fail after fail after fail. UnQuote:

This means they would make excellent politicians then!! They already have to the major qualifications that are needed to ruin ...oops I mean run a country!!

LOL!!!

• @alcomposer - I'm just pulling 4% out of my ass, but it's my prediction. I don't think that panasonic has been purposely limiting the GH4's dynamic range until this update. I think that's just what the sensor is capable of. If there are crazy higher bitrates, then it'll look better and better, and the ability to push and pull in post will get also get better.

I hope I'm wrong though. If the GH4 can look a little bit more like the pocket cam then I'll be a happy camper.

• I'm just pulling 4% out of my ass, but it's my prediction. I don't think that panasonic has been purposely limiting the GH4's dynamic range until this update. I think that's just what the sensor is capable of. If there are crazy higher bitrates, then it'll look better and better, and the ability to push and pull in post will get also get better.

I am not sure that you understand that you are talking fully :-)

Sensor has higher DR, but output is 8bit (hence all the story with LOG formats). Panasonic already stated all V-LOG parameters. Hence all this talk is just nonsense.

• @grierdill DR is going to look a lot more like the pocket cam and at 4x the resolution... don't let the bitrate fool you. Color science may even prove to be superior to BM since it's designed to match the $60K Varicam which puts out one hell of a nice image.

• Panasonic can put this option of V-LOG for GX7. :-(

• Ok maybe a stupid question. But log or not every pixel will end up as a recorded tonal value.

So if "Blacks go at 7.3 IRE Middle gray sits at 42 IRE 90% white sits at 61 IRE Absolute clip is at 79 IRE"

That translates to 7 x (255/100) 2.55 = about 18 and 79 x 2.55 = 201 as 18-201 tonal range. Doesn't that cause banding? And would it be wise to set zebras at 80% to prevent clipping?

• Lumix DMC-GH4R is coming to Europe only (V-LOG and unlimited recording for £1199) 43rumors.com

• @Shian Do you plan to use an external recorder for 10-bit when you get the update or will you continue to use the internal recording (8-bit)?

• And what is better: 10 bit recording without V-log or 8 bit recording with V-log?

• I don't know. I'm on the fence with external recorders. My main issue is storage space. I'm drowning in milk crates filled with hard drives full of R3D footage. I like the ProRes convenience factor for editing, but my current workflow seems to be working ok with the internal codec. At this point in my life I choose speed and convenience in getting through the edit and into grading over a slight improvement in quality. But a lot of that is faith in my own abilities to make 8 bit look gorgeous.