Personal View site logo
GH4 Firmware 2.3, V-log for $99, Epic Panasonic marketing fail
  • 1451 Replies sorted by
  • @CFreak in actuality an October release puts them back on the map just in time for Black Friday and Christmas purchases. The web will be flooded with people putting up sample videos of their GH4 shooting in LOG and blahblahblah. I also wish it was sooner, but I can't fault them for marketing prowess.

• @discomandavis Once the GH4 gets it the next question will be, can my G7 B camera (or similar) match it? If one buys a DVX200 will it get vLog?

This is what's going to hurt Panasonic. I don't think a V-log GH4 is going to drive much in new sales of a camera at the end of it's 18 month cycle or encourage people to buy an extra GH4 just to get vLog on a 2nd body.

It's having a matched 2nd body what make a video edit look more professional, imho.

• You may be right. I've already bought a 2nd body, based on settings in the natural profile....I think the GH4 is nowhere near the end of it's life cycle...Looking at a music video Shian did, I would say this camera has incredible potential as is. Vlog will just enhance it even more IMHO.

• This is from the end of the film posted over in the DVX200 thread… it has Vlog, so that makes sense why they will wait until Oct. to bring both out at the same time.image

Screen Shot 2015-07-28 at 7.30.12 PM.png
    867 x 1081 - 236K
  • September announcement..

vlog l sept.jpg
    787 x 570 - 162K
  • Well Happy Birthday to me then... thank you Panasonic!

• Hey guys,

Has anyone been using the 4:3 mode with an external monitor with success? I cant get my Marshall VLCD51 5" to sync up, only get a Anamorphic 4:3 enabled coming up on the monitor. Driving me nuts...

• @robtilbury you have to set the camera to 10bit (disabling internal recording) This will resize the 4:3 image to fit into a standard 16:9 4k Frame (loosing some resolution) I think you need at least an atomos shogun to monitor, de-squeeze and record anamorphic 4:3

• Digicameinfo got quite a strange and yet not 100% clear rumors. Next Tuesday (September 1) Panasonic will announce the “Panasonic GH4R“. This is basically a GH4 with V-LOG included. I don’t know what exactly that means. But I guess Panasonic will simply sell the current GH4 as GH4R to remark the new V-LOG features.

Sometimes I wonder if Panasonic management passes regular medical check.

• "Sometimes I wonder if Panasonic management passes regular medical check."

If that rumor is true it would be something, and not in a good way. Maybe panasonic had to play with the hardware on the GH4 to get v-log to perform the way they wanted? Next week should be fun.

• if they will do so, after they gave to people all around the world the idea that present GH4 will be updated sooner or later with v-log, personally I will never ever buy Pana products again. They have us 4 months now waiting the update, they publicly gave GH4 cameras with v-log so to be tested prior to the update, and these people posted these videos, so we all waiting for it, and now this? that's insane, is like they say in your face "what an idiot you are believing us"! I have 2 cameras and 12-35 + 35-100, all will go feebay and I'll move elsewhere. Lots of great choices out there...

• You must be a fool to buy a new-old, well the SAME camera for just a feature, that can be install by a firmware...

• If that rumor is true it would be something, and not in a good way. Maybe panasonic had to play with the hardware on the GH4 to get v-log to perform the way they wanted? Next week should be fun.

Well, actual camera industry state is very bad. Sony invests big money, mostly from smartphone business into cameras, and is not bleeding much. Almost all else managers main business is rigging numbers and trying to sell something at premium or old as new.

• @Vitaliy That's kinda my take as well. Cameras are a tough sell since everyone seems more than happy with taking pics with their phones and not to mention the world economy is on seriously shaky ground right now. Warmed over models with a couple new features and a new name can keep the marketing dept busy for a few months anyway.

Cameras are a niche product and probably don't do much for the bottom line of companies like Panasonic and Sony.

• Cameras are a tough sell since everyone seems more than happy with taking pics with their phones and not to mention the world economy is on seriously shaky ground right now.

Problem is not with smartphones, but with fundamentals - http://ourfiniteworld.com/2015/08/26/deflationary-collapse-ahead/ .

• I will happily pay whatever they are asking as long as they continue making such awesome stuff.

• @Vitaliy definitely fundamentals, I totally agree with you. The world economy is F'd up, to put it mildly, but you can't discount the fact that people are spending thousands a year on a phone along with it's service. This is money that not long ago could have been spent on cameras, or any number of other things.

• I imagine that the "R" model would probably be just to designate the new production run that has the upgrade already applied. Which probably means that the upgrade will indeed cost (some) money.

• Really hope this is wrong... really really hope this is wrong!

• R is for red - it will have some red accents like the DVX200 and have V-log L installed. Firmware update will free for existing GH4 owners. The red accents on the other hand will require buying a new camera or resorting to aftermarket peel and stick knockoffs.

• @sam_rides_a_mtb

Do you know why they decided on red accents and not making whole body pink?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I think I heard the GH4p is coming in spring.

• I think I heard the GH4p is coming in spring

Most probably your rumor source is right, as it is too much work for Panasonic team to be ready in 2015.
    Whole body in proper shining pink with tiny little diamonds, just think about how hard to be done properly.

I heard that they test cameras firmware resembling Android 2.0 interface in early 2015, but some boss wanted them to check improvements Google made in version 2.1 first.

• @discomandavis - no source, just speculation since the GH4K that we all have is the Black GH4. Thought maybe the GH4R would be red. @Vitaliy_Kiselev - apparently there is cooling issues when the whole body is pink.