Personal View site logo
Panasonic GX8 camera official topic
  • 265 Replies sorted by
  • According to PR (see Vitaliy's post post above):

"For video recording, 5-Axis HYBRID O.I.S.+ (Optical Image Stabilizer Plus) which has been available in Panasonic’s professional video camera development, corrects complex movement for more stable imagery."

• @bealbuoy

In video cameras HYBRID OIS means optical OIS + electronic stabilizer, not sensor stabilizer.

• According to this review http://photobyrichard.com/reviewbyrichard/panasonic-lumix-gx8-review/

When Taking Photos with:

• Compatible Panasonic lens with image stabiliser = Lens I.S. + Body I.S. (Dual I.S.)

• Other micro four third lenses with image stabiliser function = Lens I.S.

• Other lenses = Body I.S.

When Taking Videos with:

• Compatible Panasonic lens with image stabiliser = Lens I.S. or 5 Axis Hybrid (when E-Stabilisation is turned on)

• Other micro four third lenses with image stabiliser function = Lens I.S. or 5 Axis Hybrid (when E-Stabilisation is turned on)

• Other lenses = N.A.

In other words, E-stabilization for video only to help lenses with in-lens O.I.S. (?)

• @Vitaliy

"For video recording, 5-Axis HYBRID O.I.S.+ (Optical Image Stabilizer Plus) which has been available in Panasonic’s professional video camera development, corrects complex movement for more stable imagery."

"In video cameras HYBRID OIS means optical OIS + electronic stabilizer, not sensor stabilizer."

What does this mean for stabilized video shooting? Will the GX8 have it or not?

I read people like the Panasonic video camera stabilization, is this marketing or will there be a difference. I found the GX7 stills stabilization acceptable, could have been better, but still OK, and would have loved to have it for video, so at least PR says there will be something, the question is what exactly it is, and how good. What are your thoughts?

• What does this mean for stabilized video shooting? Will the GX8 have it or not?

For now as I understand - sensor stab is for still images.

• Thanks Vitaliy

igorek7, thanks for the link to the Richards review.

• The menus and a few vid clips. Barely had time to do anything as only just received it yesterday pm.

• @driftwood Does AF/AE Lock button eventually work unlimited while recording video? Or is it traditional Pana style: works only one time before pressing rec?

• @zigizigi It works only in P, A, S modes in movie record, whilst recording if you select the AF/AE Lock choices and the HOLD menu selection = ON, then hit the AF/AE lock button you should be good to go. Toggle the AF/AE lock button to show indication on screen / release focus.

• Stuff over the GX7

• Photo: Dual I.S. (Body 4-axis / Lens 2-axis), Video: HYBRID O.I.S.+ (5-axis)

• 1/3 Step Wider Dynamic Range

• Multiple Panoramic mode: 'Standard' (Imaging Priority) Max. 8176 x 1920 Pixels & 'Wide' (Angle Priority) 8176 x 960 Pixels.

more to come

• @driftwood

Thanks for reply, perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

I mean with other Pana cameras with AF/AE lock set to HOLD you can only lock exposure just once before hitting rec in P,A,S modes. Once you release locked exposure while recording - you cannot reuse this button any longer. On any other brand you can use it as many times as you wish during recording. Has this behavior changed with GX8?

• Bummer about IBIS for video - unfortunately no buy for me. Apart from that the cam seems awesome:)

• Panasonic GX8 and FZ300 press kit (around 510Mb) http://we.tl/uItPugkjew

• @zigizigi, I know what you mean. With Olympus you can use S-AF before AND during recording when in manual focus mode. With Panasonic you can only use autofocus before starting to record (when in manual focus mode). You can adjust focus manually in S-AF mode, but you need to hold down a button and you lose focus assists like peaking. Not great in my opinion. Sometimes the S-AF is useful in manual mode just to get focus back on track on quick moving subjects (run-and-gun or my kids!)

• @driftwood thanks! was crossing my fingers and hoped to see a vlog profile. lol. looking good man.

• I wish they'd include the 4K video crop in the specs.

• IBIS in GX8, as in http://photobyrichard.com/reviewbyrichard/panasonic-lumix-gx8-review/

When Taking Photos with: Compatible Panasonic lens with image stabiliser = Lens I.S. + Body I.S. (Dual I.S.) Other micro four third lenses with image stabiliser function = Lens I.S. Other lenses = Body I.S.

When Taking Videos with: Compatible Panasonic lens with image stabiliser = Lens I.S. or 5 Axis Hybrid (when E-Stabilisation is turned on) Other micro four third lenses with image stabiliser function = Lens I.S. or 5 Axis Hybrid (when E-Stabilisation is turned on) Other lenses = N.A.

• @Tron Gordon Laing of Cameralabs (http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_GX8/) calculed in aprox. 1,25x the crop, against 1,1x in the g7 and 1,2 in GH4 - it means the crop is slightly bigger than the GH4.

• Thanks @MarcioK - so effectively 2.5x in 35mm equivalent. That's moving in the wrong direction IMO. The GH5 will need to either oversample and downscale to 4K, or revert to a 12Mp sensor to get back to a 2x crop.

• Other lenses = N.A.

Number 1 micro 4/3 bummer of 2015.

• And with this, I guess that the GH5 will not have IBIS too.

• @ MarcioK, it would be interesting if the 5-axis Hybrid fixes some of the jitter problems with their OIS lenses when shooting video. Sucks though that it doesn't work with any adapted or other micro4/3 lenses like Olympus.

• By the way, does anyone know if this is a world camera (PAL/NTSC) like the GH4 (and unlike the G7)?

• I wonder how bad the GX8 images are at ISO 25,600? And what the really clean max ISO is?

I am really hoping they use a 12MP s35 Sensor on the GH5 that is optimized for high ISO Video.

• @sgreszcz I believe IBIS still works with the Olympus non-stabilized lenses, though not sure how many stabilization axis this amounts to. ETA - I see you were referring to video now.