Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic GX8 camera official topic
  • 265 Replies sorted by
  • Very expensive. I hope the GX8 have improvement for recording video, with the GX7 sometimes you see a color (and WB) in the screen and when you record is another. And the profiles for video with with cinematic intentions arent very balanced as the GH2.

• With Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 25mm f/1.4 ISO 12800 f/4.0 1/60

Panasonic_Lumix_Gx8_review_15.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 535K
  • Panasonic_Lumix_Gx8_review_21.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 470K
    Panasonic_Lumix_Gx8_review_11.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 609K
    Panasonic_Lumix_Gx8_review_18.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 495K
  • Maybe I am off base, but I don't think this camera offers more value than a 20MP Sony RX10 II, $999 RX100 IV or the $500 lower street price LX100 and G7, and priced way too close to a GH4...

http://reviews.gizmodo.com/sony-rx100-mark-iv-review-a-great-camera-for-a-ridicul-1717804368

I guess it's now a 4K crowded market, and there are tons of good options...

While I find this camera interesting, at it's heart, is it effectively a first beta pricepoint for what may come for the GH5 at around 2K later this year?

$1195 for GX8, $1499 for GH4 ... and $1999 for next GH5 with possible 4K at 60fps / 1080p at 120fps?

• Next iterations will have 10 bit HEVC video and at 60fps. But companies need money now.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev "Next iterations will have 10 bit HEVC video and at 60fps. But companies need money now"

Now that sounds like a nice camera that serves my desires for 2016...

• Now that sounds like a nice camera that serves my desires for 2016...

Companies issue is that sales fall faster then they rise prices for new models to compensate :-)

Plus they cut people at fast rate making it hard to develop complex products, this is why we see so many Sony sensors. In a year or so we will see much more LSI sharing.

• Really nice looking camera, but no video IBIS, no dice.

• Cinelike D. :-)

screenshot GX8.png
    1280 x 720 - 696K
  • Really like ISO 3200, got a feeling this is native ISO at the other end of 200/400. Normally on a GH4 this would be very noisy. It was pitch black outside apart from the mobile cam light.

Nice sensor (it feels like a MFT A7S !!!)

driftwood-dark-3200iso-gx8.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 665K
  • @Manu4Vendetta Yep Live clean HDMI - see the video linked to the Shogun.

• @driftwood, thanks. About the profiles, are good for grade? The GX7 its a little limited.

• The GX8 can record UHD 4K (3840×2160 / 16:9) video at 25p/24p and at data rates of up to 100mpbs with HD at 28mbps. The GX8’s UHD 4K is captured without scaling to reduce artefacts, the downside being that it comes with an increased crop factor as the active sensor area is smaller than when taking photographs.

The GX8 also comes with full manual exposure control, adjustable audio levels and adjustable luminance levels. There is also a 2.5mm jack for use with an external microphone (a nice improvement but I was hoping for a 3.5mm jack!) but no headphone jack. According to the specs I have read, the GX8 also has a clean HDMI output which will output in 4:2:2 8 bit but I haven’t managed to test this yet.

The GX8 also has the additional features such as zebras, peaking and cinelike gammas that make it a much more powerful film tool. The Cinelike D and V profiles allow you to shoot ‘flat’ and can help with grading and footage matching at a later stage. A small downside to the GX8 is it’s 29:59 limit of filming, this is a common feature on hybrid photo/video cameras (mainly for tax purposes) but a GH4 like system where multiple files are created would have been a nice addition.

http://jacobjamesphotography.co.uk/gear-review/panasonic-gx8-review/

• @NickBen I doubt the GH5 will come in at $2K, too much competition from Samsung and Sony these days... my guess is that it will hold firm around the $1,499.00 price point. The GX8 will probably drop to $999.00 a few months after release (which is a great deal, IMO).

• I doubt the GH5 will come in at $2K, too much competition from Samsung and Sony these days... my guess is that it will hold firm around the $1,499.00 price point.

Camera prices are now mostly dependent on the cost of department existence and cost of development. As sales fall they need to increase prices.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev "Next iterations will have 10 bit HEVC video and at 60fps. But companies need money now"

@NickBen Now that sounds like a nice camera that serves my desires for 2016...

Id much rather see 4:2:2 8bit than 4:2:0 10bit. I really hope they dont maintain 4:2:0 in the next generations....

• @Manu4Vendetta Yeah, usual profiles, but maybe its not so weird that Cinelike D seems improved with the new sensor!

• I wonder why they increased the crop? Why not just keep the standard MFT 2x crop?

• I wonder why they increased the crop? Why not just keep the standard MFT 2x crop?

Huh, it records 4K using 1:1, no rescale. Even 16mp sensors have larger crop than 2x. And here it is higher res.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev GH3 has 2x crop in video, right? GH4 has 2.3x or whatever, now GX8 has ~2.5x crop.

From page 2:

Thanks ... - so effectively 2.5x [crop] in 35mm equivalent. That's moving in the wrong direction IMO. The GH5 will need to either oversample and downscale to 4K, or revert to a 12Mp sensor to get back to a 2x crop.