Personal View site logo
4K and UltraHD Stuff, Cinemas, Camcorders, TVs
  • 246 Replies sorted by
  • There certainly are some crappy cables.

• There certainly are some crappy cables.

Yes, of course. But they do not need THX certification, as all this guys do is get money from every cable sold.

• Japan-, South Korea- and China-based LCD TV vendors are expected to focus marketing on WCG (wide color gamut) Ultra HD models in 2015 and consequently WCG models as a proportion of all LCD TVs will significantly rise, according to Taiwan-based supply chain makers.

While LG Electronics and TCL have launched WCG Ultra HD LCD TVs based on quantum dot technology, other vendors use or will use different technologies to produce WCG Ultra HD models, the sources said.

In addition, Samsung Electronics has launched curved LCD TVs with curvature of 4,000R in 2014 and is expected to launch more curved models with curvature of 2,000R or even 1,000R in 2015, the sources indicated.

Sounds shitty.

• After reaching about 15% in 2014, the penetration rate will increase to 30% driven by increased demand for larger, higher-resolution TVs in China.

Good.

• U.S. sales of 4K TVs are seen rising to 4 million units this year from 1.3 million units in 2014, according to the Consumer Electronics Association, organizer of CES

• At CES 2015, LG announced 7 4k OLED models, at least one of which is said to be configurable to flat surface (instead of the insanely hyped "curved" surfaces). Samsung in contrast, deems OLED "too expensive" and keeps betting on LCDs (with a backlight using "quantum dots", like other manufacturers, such as Sony already do).

So it seems that if at all a new TV is sold in 2015 that I could like to buy, it would be one from LG. But there wasn't word on the glossyness of the surface, and I sure wouldn't buy a "glare type" display.

• Samsung Electronics held a 37% share in the global Ultra HD TV market during 2014. Approximately 50% of the Ultra HD TVs Samsung sold in 2014 were for curved units.

Well, they have a reason for this. LG made many errors during 2014, as well as most Chinese manufacturers.

• About 4K Blu-rays

Panasonic's staff at CES told Digitimes Research that the Ultra HD BDP supports content in Ultra HD resolution, 60Hz refresh rate and 10bit grayscale technology and is encoded via HEVC (H.265) codec. As for the storage media, the Ultra HD Blu-ray disc (BD) will have two formats: dual-layers (66GB) and 3-layers (100GB). Currently, Full HD BD has two formats: single-layer (25GB) and dual-layers (50GB). The Panasonic staff confirmed that BDA will announce Ultra HD BD starndards in the second quarter.

• Introduction to 4K for Photographers

• Samsung Electronics is holding sales events in Taiwan to promote Ultra HD TVs, with 55-inch units now being sold for just under NT$30,000 (US$1,000), according to local retailers.

• came-mini37.jpg
    800 x 535 - 99K
    came-mini38.jpg
    800 x 527 - 97K
  • I truly hate these curved screed 4K TVs. But the picture on the flat ones is very nice. I wish they made more in the 47 inch size.

• I truly hate these curved screed 4K TVs

Religion?

Big ones curved screens are not bad. I have one.

And why it must be 47" specifically? Btw it is 47-48" firms concentrated in 2015 to not make competition with their expensive 4K monitors with 40" TVs :-)

• Well, maybe takes some getting used to. But if you are watching with a group, like to review the final video, the curves are not symmetrical unless you are sitting in the middle. I see they have a new 48" for $2500. Maybe I'll buy 4xNX500 instead :)

• But if you are watching with a group, like to review the final video, the curves are not symmetrical unless you are sitting in the middle.

Well, may be. And curved ones look cool.

In real life it is not issue. It is mostly media who constantly press for this.

I still do not get why it must be 48", and price you reference is common for larger size now.

• 47-48 is good size for my screening room. I could build a bigger screening room but it's easier to use a smaller TV :) I could go with a 50.

• 47-48 is good size for my screening room. I could build a bigger screening room but it's easier to use a smaller TV :) I could go with a 50.

You need to check this TV size, distance and your vision. As it can be that you will not be able to see 4K due to vision or too big distance.

• Ultra HD (4K) LCD TV shipments grew nearly 400% on year to reach 4.7 million units worldwide in the first quarter of 2015. Volume barely dropped from the seasonally strong fourth quarter, with especially strong demand in China during the Lunar New Year holiday season, according to DisplaySearch.

Overall, 9% of all TV shipments in first-quarter 2015 were 4K TVs, but when looking at larger screen sizes, the share of shipments rises significantly. More than 31% of 50-inch and larger TVs were 4K TVs, the firm said.

• Ultra HD (4K) TV panel shipments reached just over nine million in the second quarter of 2015, up 58% on quarter, for a total of 14.7 million in the first half of 2015, according to Sigmaintell Consulting.

Progress.

• 4K TVs in the Japan market have reached a 30% share of overall LCD TV sales during certain months, and the 50-inch and above size proportion has climbed from 40% in previous months.

Nod bad.

• F*** how did I miss it? My bad. 500 plus 500 shipping.