Personal View site logo
BlackMagic URSA Mini, 4.6K sensor, 15 stops DR, 2160p60
  • 230 Replies sorted by
  • The super 35 sized sensor is too big for MFT to cover. So you want BMD to make a MFT sized sensor and crop out of the rest of the uncovered area to accommodate MFT lenses? Sounds like a waste to me. There's always the JVC way.

Im sure if BMD is actually making the call for the low level sensor specs, they would have considered a smaller size sensor, etc...

• I like what Kinefinity did. They have a proprietary mount with short flange distance, and sell all kinds of adapters for it - much like an Allstar mount.

• @johnbrawley Will BMD let you test the Mini soon? We are all waiting for real life shootage!

• @retrospective, just because a camera has a m4/3 mount doesn't mean you have to use only m4/3 lenses on it! I'll often bring a m4/3 camera to a shoot and never use a native mount lens on it

• @IronFilm - exactly. While using other lenses could utilize the full 4.6K, I wonder how much they would need to crop to accommodate mft lenses (may vary somewhat by lens, so maybe allow to crop by x%). I'm guessing the result would still be higher resolution than 1080p. If it could get into the 2.5K range, that would be plenty for me.

• Also, this camera is 4.6k. Il sure MFT native glass would cover UHD at least:

• Based on the JVC camera, would need to crop in to perhaps 80% ish of the original. I think, at a guess.

• @IronFilm If I have a choice not to use adapters I would and I would rather not have any crop, anyways that's just me. I'm happy with where BMD is going.

• I like this one:

• @nomad

Some statements are false, and some are just strange.

• @nomad Great video.. this is exactly what I was thinking why are we complaining about the lack of ND filters, and for them using an EF Mount for the URSA Mini. Blackmagic has given us soo.... much for soo.... little and Big saving $$$ Let's all enjoy the filming process, and embrace the tools & possibilities that we have right now.

• Sure, it's not all correct, neither politically nor technically, but at the core it's a good statement about those who always discuss the latest stuff and it's shortcomings instead of shooting films…

• A few questions, if someone knows..

1. Is the only difference between the 4.6K and 4K version reside in the Resolution and DR? For example, do they both do the same slow motion?

2. What batteries do I need to run the unit?

Many thanks!

• I wouldn't expect the 4K to do any different slow-motion than the current Ursa and 4K Production Camera. All of the specs are the same as all of the specs on the micro are the same as the pocket. They could, perhaps, upgrade the slow-mo capabilities on the current cameras with firmware. The raw specs on the chips they've been sourcing were designed to allow higher frame rates than any of their current line up provide, likely due to media or their interface to media.

• The 4.6K is a custom designed sensor by Blackmagic and it has superior color rendition. This includes custom RGB filters on the sensor itself. The 4.6K and 4K sensors are quite different.

• Thanks, fellas. I really wish Blackmagic would post some footage from the 4K and 4.6K side-by-side so we could compare. For question #2, what are you guys using?

• Very nice, looks like a powerfull tool, slomo looks beautiful!

• The creative choices made in the video did not resonate with me - too warm, too flat, too much depth of field in the close ups. Anybody find themselves looking around the frame? Anyways, looking forward to being blown away by 4.6k footage in the future; until then I will reserve judgement. I would also like to see the 4.6k vs 4k side by side to see if the extra DR is worth the money and whether one has a unique look/character compared to the other.

• Looked great to me, but I like that look in general.

• Spent some time around the mini 4.6k at Cinegear.

Had to go back to it the second day because I just liked it so much.

This thing is just a beast.

The combination between having a sensor that gives a ton of DR and having recording formats that give you the bits to work with in post is a dream come true.

Great price for a no-compromises pro cinematography tool.

• I read in the BMCForums that they were using Captain Hooks LUTs to improve the color coming out of the camera. If that means that I can record in Video mode and have it look like that, that'll save a lot of time color grading.

• @SuperSet, the 4.6K is also better at low light than the 4K sensor.

• 4.6K can also select between rolling (more DR, slowmo) or global shutter (less DR)

• I performed many of these dynamic range tests in tandem with our original URSA 4K to really see how much of a difference the 4.6K compares to the original 4K sensor. In short, there is no comparison. The 4.6K compares so much farther ahead of the 4K that it’s almost an unfair match. It’s kind of like racing a BMW E46 M3 (a mighty powerhouse in its own right) against a McLaren F1 with the BMW V12 engine (sorry, I’m a BMW racing nut).

http://www.onerivermedia.com/blog/?p=1614