Personal View site logo
Panasonic G7 topic, 4K castrate monster or GH4 for poor
  • 719 Replies sorted by
  • LOVE the Silver G7!!! I actually think this is gonna be a hit for Panasonic. I think it's gonna be in a sweet spot in the Market. The size and design look just right. Where I live I could film in any place I wanted and never draw attention. Tourist stealth! :)

• Sexy design and that titanium looking silver is amaze.

• Im not convinced that the position of those 2 rotary dials on the grip side are going to be very comfortable/accessible. Are there other cameras that have similar ergonomics for the dials? Are they easy to use?

• It is 100% real.

• Silver looks great. Would be cool if this is real - let's hope Monday they announce with good price.

• Silver

dog_72.jpg
    694 x 540 - 61K
    dog_71.jpg
    698 x 470 - 50K
    dog_69.jpg
    697 x 360 - 37K
    dog_70.jpg
    692 x 402 - 38K

via: 43rumors

dog_66.jpg
    697 x 368 - 32K
    dog_68.jpg
    699 x 367 - 54K
    dog_65.jpg
    695 x 355 - 44K
    dog_67.jpg
    697 x 362 - 54K
  • @chopnshoot I have tried a BMPCC meta bones SB on the GH4, adjusted infinity, and got nothing but blurry sides from 2 lenses I tested: 28mm f2.0 AIS and 35mm AIS 1.4. The center ⅓ was sharp, but that's all. This combo might work for a lowlight project that will have a lot of shallow Dof and murkiness to the images, but, I wouldn't recommend it for all shooting situations.

I also think there was a discussion on BMCC user about how the faster 35mm 1.4 with large exit pupil performs poorly on the BMPCC MetaBones speedbooster. FWIW, in my experience most fast lens have a large exit pupil. YMMV.

• Think the Nikon mount BMPCC Speedbooster will work with it the same way it does with end GH4?

• So apparently it was either 4K or IBIS. TBH, I'd rather have IBIS instead. The output from the GX7 is well above my basic needs. Let's see what the GX8 brings, but I think the chances of having IBIS are radically insignificant.

• nuttin' 'bout 1080 highbitrate

• Card probably together with the battery - separate card slot is one of the things that are reserved for the "pro" cameras.

If the mic input still present as in the G6, will be a very interesting B-cam.

• The left side dial has shutter modes on it - a waste of space for video oriented shooters. The question is whether it has the SD card slot on the side like GH2 or in the battery compartment like G6?

• @endotoxic What does this even mean?

forget focus peaking.
  • forget focus peaking.

THe body uis from sturdy plastic aparently. seem a good option for amateurs and video entusiast.

• I assume focus peaking will be included as well? Also, is that supposed to be a rotary dial around the shutter button?

• dog_37.jpg
    495 x 337 - 27K
    dog_38.jpg
    495 x 309 - 22K
    dog_39.jpg
    499 x 361 - 23K
  • Future of video is closer to Canon dual pixel sensors :-)

• DFD is not a big deal for video IMO. It's just a faster contrast AF which still goes back and forth at the end of the cycle. AF speed might be critical for photo but in video you still have to pull focus slowly for aesthetic sake and to keep motor noise low. So the fact that it got faster doesn't matter for video as long as it still has its major visual disadvantage - focus hunting. And you need constant lens and body firmware updates with latest bokeh tables. I believe DFD is just a temporary compromise for Pana to catch up competitors: Canon, Nikon, Sony, Samsung - all offer phase detection AF in their latest product lines. That is the future for video.

GH4's DFD is not bad but NX1's PDAF outperforms it clearly. Here at 2:55

• For run and gun style videographer, DFD technology is very interesting.

• 4K video. 4K Photo
    • 4K 30p / 24p
    • Contrast AF employing the DFD technology
    • 16MP Digital Live MOS sensor
    • New Venus engine
    • 360-degree panorama function
    • Shutter speed 1/16000
    • 2.36 million dot organic EL EVF
    • 1.04 million dot free-angle monitor

Only strange thing here is EVF that seems too good, but may be they become much cheaper.

• @Manu4Vendetta

Well, first message has it for quite a time.

• FT5: G7 will have 4K

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-g7-will-get-4k/

PS: Same sensor GX7. Can by upgrade get 4K with the GX7?

• There wasn't a whisper about this from any of my discussions in the Panny booth at NAB, just saying ... and I did ask about a number of things and heard other whispers. Can't comment on the rest (not a lot, couple interesting things though) but I will say there wasn't anything even talked of about this. But then, they weren't talking about camera releases other than those already announced. Best guess? Not "imminent" ... but how many months away moves past imminent into time enough to roll out something new? Don't know.

Neil

• @kurth

To your shock - high bitrate video is very easy to do, as same LSI is used among all models usually. It is more time consuming to do opposite :-)

Same goes for so "advanced" things as log modes (Sony log2, v-log and such). If not marketing and affiliated experts it will be tough thing to present them with such fanfare.