Personal View site logo
Panasonic G7 topic, 4K castrate monster or GH4 for poor
  • 719 Replies sorted by
  • DFD is not a big deal for video IMO. It's just a faster contrast AF which still goes back and forth at the end of the cycle. AF speed might be critical for photo but in video you still have to pull focus slowly for aesthetic sake and to keep motor noise low. So the fact that it got faster doesn't matter for video as long as it still has its major visual disadvantage - focus hunting. And you need constant lens and body firmware updates with latest bokeh tables. I believe DFD is just a temporary compromise for Pana to catch up competitors: Canon, Nikon, Sony, Samsung - all offer phase detection AF in their latest product lines. That is the future for video.

GH4's DFD is not bad but NX1's PDAF outperforms it clearly. Here at 2:55

• Future of video is closer to Canon dual pixel sensors :-)

• dog_37.jpg
    495 x 337 - 27K
    dog_38.jpg
    495 x 309 - 22K
    dog_39.jpg
    499 x 361 - 23K
  • I assume focus peaking will be included as well? Also, is that supposed to be a rotary dial around the shutter button?

• forget focus peaking.

THe body uis from sturdy plastic aparently. seem a good option for amateurs and video entusiast.

• @endotoxic What does this even mean?

forget focus peaking.
  • The left side dial has shutter modes on it - a waste of space for video oriented shooters. The question is whether it has the SD card slot on the side like GH2 or in the battery compartment like G6?

• Card probably together with the battery - separate card slot is one of the things that are reserved for the "pro" cameras.

If the mic input still present as in the G6, will be a very interesting B-cam.

• nuttin' 'bout 1080 highbitrate

• So apparently it was either 4K or IBIS. TBH, I'd rather have IBIS instead. The output from the GX7 is well above my basic needs. Let's see what the GX8 brings, but I think the chances of having IBIS are radically insignificant.

• Think the Nikon mount BMPCC Speedbooster will work with it the same way it does with end GH4?

• @chopnshoot I have tried a BMPCC meta bones SB on the GH4, adjusted infinity, and got nothing but blurry sides from 2 lenses I tested: 28mm f2.0 AIS and 35mm AIS 1.4. The center ⅓ was sharp, but that's all. This combo might work for a lowlight project that will have a lot of shallow Dof and murkiness to the images, but, I wouldn't recommend it for all shooting situations.

I also think there was a discussion on BMCC user about how the faster 35mm 1.4 with large exit pupil performs poorly on the BMPCC MetaBones speedbooster. FWIW, in my experience most fast lens have a large exit pupil. YMMV.

via: 43rumors

dog_66.jpg
    697 x 368 - 32K
    dog_68.jpg
    699 x 367 - 54K
    dog_65.jpg
    695 x 355 - 44K
    dog_67.jpg
    697 x 362 - 54K
  • Silver

dog_72.jpg
    694 x 540 - 61K
    dog_71.jpg
    698 x 470 - 50K
    dog_69.jpg
    697 x 360 - 37K
    dog_70.jpg
    692 x 402 - 38K
  • Silver looks great. Would be cool if this is real - let's hope Monday they announce with good price.

• It is 100% real.

• Im not convinced that the position of those 2 rotary dials on the grip side are going to be very comfortable/accessible. Are there other cameras that have similar ergonomics for the dials? Are they easy to use?

• Sexy design and that titanium looking silver is amaze.

• LOVE the Silver G7!!! I actually think this is gonna be a hit for Panasonic. I think it's gonna be in a sweet spot in the Market. The size and design look just right. Where I live I could film in any place I wanted and never draw attention. Tourist stealth! :)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Very cool. Very curious to see image quality and type.

• Will this have identical crop factor as GH4? (If so, somebody remind me how that crop factor compares to 1.86 of GH2. )

• If it has 1080-60p at 100mbps, ETC and peaking I might be tempted to switch back from the GH4. The G6 was amazingly light. The GH4 is almost twice as heavy and it makes a difference when you have to carry it all up to 10,000' elevation all the time.

@matt_gh2, should be the same as the GH4 crop factors. 2.08x in 1080 and 2.49x in 4K UHD

• Probably the best choice for video amateurs who wants to shoot with no worries about raw or post production.

I think professional hasn't to buy gh series, but something more. Gh is in the limboh

dog_75.jpg
    800 x 404 - 80K
    dog_76.jpg
    800 x 397 - 69K
    dog_77.jpg
    800 x 406 - 70K
    dog_78.jpg
    800 x 405 - 57K
    dog_79.jpg
    800 x 405 - 78K
    dog_80.jpg
    800 x 409 - 62K
  • Launch price will be US$799 (including kit lens). So a slightly higher price than the G6 was released at of US$749

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-g7-to-be-announced-at-1300-london-time-costs-799-with-kit-lens/