Personal View site logo
US: Stores closings - road to hell
  • 160 Replies sorted by
  • Walmart is going to cut another 1000 workplaces to concentrate on Internet sales, almost all of them are located in centers and not shops.

• 102 of the 154 Walmart stores closing were the mini-Walmart Express outlets. Smaller stores, less product selection, higher prices. What could go wrong?! Target also opened mini-Targets, like the one in Chicago's Streeterville area near Magnificent Mile. Same problem. Limited selection, higher prices. Usually you waste your time looking for what you want, then end up going to a bigger Target to get it!

http://time.com/money/4182681/walmarts-express-stores-close/

https://consumerist.com/2016/10/04/target-rethinking-everything-for-new-mini-stores-aimed-at-millennials/

• Black-Eyed Pea is gone.

• Going down still

• Macy’s will be closing about 100 stores.
    • Another 150 Sears and Kmart stores are shutting down
    • The Limited is immediately closing all stores nationwide.
    • Sports Authority closed all 460 location, out of business
    • PacSun, Aeropostale and American Apparel filed for bancrupcy
    • Sears lost 580 million dollars in the fourth quarter of 2015 alone, and they are scheduled to close at least 50 more “unprofitable stores” by the end of this year.
    • It is being reported that Sports Authority will file for bankruptcy in March. Some news reports have indicated that around 200 stores may close, but at this point it is not known how many of their 450 stores will be able to stay open.
    • For decades, Kohl’s has been growing aggressively, but now it plans to shutter 18 stores in 2016.
    • Target has just finished closing 13 stores in the United States.
    • Best Buy closed 30 stores last year, and it says that more store closings are likely in the months to come.
    • Office Depot plans to close a total of 400 stores by the end of 2016.
  • More complete list

• Wal-Mart is closing 269 stores, including 154 inside the United States.
    • K-Mart is closing down more than two dozen stores over the next several months.
    • J.C. Penney will be permanently shutting down 47 more stores after closing a total of 40 stores in 2015.
    • Macy’s has decided that it needs to shutter 36 stores and lay off approximately 2,500 employees.
    • The Gap is in the process of closing 175 stores in North America.
    • Aeropostale is in the process of closing 84 stores all across America.
    • Finish Line has announced that 150 stores will be shutting down over the next few years.
    • Sears has shut down about 600 stores over the past year or so, but sales at the stores that remain open continue to fall precipitously.
  • @matt_gh2, @Vitaliy_Kiselev, this political environment is highly unusual in that there are many NORMAL actions that the government has in the past taken, which for political reasons they haven't been taking, in the last 6 years.

Like infrastructure investment in every facet of society. They haven't been doing any of the things that in the past they would do to spur growth and development. Roads, Bridges, High Speed Rail, Power Grid upgrades, Airports, Sea Ports, just to name a few things that would make the country more competitive as well as create jobs and boost the economy.

In addition to unnecessary things Congress has done to actually hurt the economy like Sequester or threatening to default on the debt etc. Better Tax policy so that all that money our Corporations are holding on to could be of better use than just sitting on the sidelines. There is GREAT economic potential here that hasn't been put to use. Some can take a pessimistic view but in reality there is a lot that could be done and hasn't been done.

• They've been purposely applying breaks to the economy the last 6 years. There is IMMENSE financial potential here. Don't believe the hype.

Well, such idealist position can be partially true in some absolute personal dictatorship and upon shorter range of time and smaller scope.

In capitalists fake democracy you have capital who dictates (this is called bourgeoisie dictatorship in science) politics. So, your statement is same as blaming horses for actions of coachman.

• @Aria How have the politicians applied the brakes to the US economy?

• Walmart is notorious overexpander. They flood the market with too many stores. Walmart closing stores will allow other companies to come in a fill the void. IMO the US is primed for success as soon as the politicians get out of the way. They've been purposely applying breaks to the economy the last 6 years. There is IMMENSE financial potential here. Don't believe the hype.

• U.S. retail giant Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. on Friday announced plans to close 269 stores and lay off 16,000 employees, 6,000 of them outside the United States.

In a news release, the Bentonville, Arkansas-based company said it would close 154 stores in the United States and 115 others abroad, including dozens in Brazil that had recently stopped operating.

• Macy's is closing 40 stores and cutting nearly 5,000 jobs nationwide after poor holiday sales.

• Birmingham-based Simply Fashion owners have announced the impending closure of 243 stores nationwide.

• McDonalds To Close 700 Locations After Major Profit Losses

McDonald’s is experiencing a plummeting drop in profits due to stiff competition from healthier fast-food joints, more mindful consumers, and 'an overcomplicated menu,' according to Fortune.

http://ewao.com/a/1-mcdonalds-to-close-700-locations-after-major-profit-losses

• @jleo

Link to source of this thing is few posts on top.

• Major U.S. Retailers Are Closing More Than 6,000 Stores

So why is this happening?

Without a doubt, Internet retailing is taking a huge toll on brick and mortar stores, and this is a trend that is not going to end any time soon.

But as Thad Beversdorf has pointed out, we have also seen a stunning decline in true discretionary consumer spending over the past six months…

What we find is that over the past 6 months we had a tremendous drop in true discretionary consumer spending. Within the overall downtrend we do see a bit of a rally in February but quite ominously that rally failed and the bottom absolutely fell out. Again the importance is it confirms the fundamental theory that consumer spending is showing the initial signs of a severe pull back. A worrying signal to be certain as we would expect this pull back to begin impacting other areas of consumer spending. The reason is that American consumers typically do not voluntarily pull back like that on spending but do so because they have run out of credit. And if credit is running thin it will surely be felt in all spending.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-05-02/major-us-retailers-are-closing-more-6000-stores

• They seem to open a Walgreen's wherever there are a cluster of doctor's offices or a hospital, maybe so people can conveniently pick up prescriptions. I can walk in any direction and hit one within 4 to 20 blocks.

McDonalds has been downsizing for the past ten years, closing bigger restaurants and opening small take-out counters with fewer seats.

http://cok.net/blog/2015/04/mcdonalds-supersize-to-downsize/

• A lot of closings seem related to chains that sucked, that are becoming irrelevant due to other competition, and sometime closing a location w low profit to open another one somewhere else. I like walgreens, but why do I have 5 (five) of them within 3 miles from my house?? There is simply too many retail places in some areas.

• Best Buy is good because salespeople usually don't bug you. But if you want information about a product, don't ask anybody there, it's the Village of Dummies. Just go to the Apple section and look it up on the internet, or search on PV to see what members say about the product. :) Most stores like this are closing because people use them as showrooms for the internet: to test drive the product then go home to order on amazon or ebay etc.

In Canada, Future Shop ( owned by Best Buy ) just closed all stores as well as Sony. Target also closed all stores across Canada losing $7 billion. In the US target, the shelves are well stocked with a large choice of goods. But if you walked into a Canadian Target, entire shelves were empty for months. One package of bologna in a large cooler etc. worse than a North Korean supermarket!

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/15/us-target-canada-idUSKBN0KO1HR20150115

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/future-shop-closures-reflect-changing-face-of-canadian-retail-1.3015266

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/retail-retreat-target-isnt-the-only-chain-closing-up-shop-in-canada/article22487550/

• Went in best buy last week, and the employees seemed like a bunch of flunkies. Radio shack always had marked-up prices.. I worked at K-Mart as a teenager and it was hell on earth; there's no mystery as to why Wal Mart beat it senseless.

You can look at same thing from different perspective. If Apple, Google, Samsung, Amazon show increased sales and profits this money came to them from someone. As data show no increase of median income, and inflation on healthcare, food, education and such are quite big - someone must suffer. Most of the time it is most weak and badly managed. But many times it is also hard working small retailers.

• Went in best buy last week, and the employees seemed like a bunch of flunkies. Radio shack always had marked-up prices.. I worked at K-Mart as a teenager and it was hell on earth; there's no mystery as to why Wal Mart beat it senseless.

I do like Barnes and Noble, but I don't buy books so I rarely ever made purchases at it.

The fact is that those retailers never made competitive pricing, and if I'm staying away from them then I know lots of the public are staying away as well

• Why don't we announce seconds first, then minutes, then hour for time, if we follow the same logic? Anyone can make a point about anything by selecting facts that support the idea.

Yep. So, read, analyze and use your own head. Do not behave like 90% of population - monkeys with artificially inflated income.

• The chart is funny but meaningless. Why don't we announce seconds first, then minutes, then hour for time, if we follow the same logic? Anyone can make a point about anything by selecting facts that support the idea.

• Its amazing how the US is and has being an emerse target of how things are not going good here on PV which I don't dispute but you can't hear about Russia or that part of the world or other countries which I know don't fair better or even worse.

You can turn your TV, find another site on or read newspaper for this :-)

Plus, anyone is interested in US. May be because of this:

phantom65.jpg
    510 x 530 - 36K
  • Its amazing how the US is and has being an emerse target of how things are not going good here on PV which I don't dispute but you can't hear about Honduras or that part of the world or other countries which I know don't fair better or even worse. Smear campaign.