Personal View site logo
Driftwood Cluster X Series 4:│Moon T8│Spizz T7
  • 691 Replies sorted by
  • @hexagonal I only tested T4 and T8 because someone else did a comparison of the different moons with screen shots showing T4 as being a hair better than T5 in shadows. Although my testing showed me nothing helpful or different between T4 and T8. The patches react differently to every scene and test. So it's best to do your own testing. You may find that T5 is the best for you. Who knows. I personally have not made my mind up about any of the patches.

About the SD cards...

U3 and U1 just means minimum sustained speeds. U3 and U1 are classes of the UHS Buses, which the GH2 does not use. Although UHS is still backwards compatible. It will just run at slower speeds - SDXC class 10 rating (If card is rated at class 10).

UHS-II has max Bus speed of 312MB. This is the card you want for future proof. It has an entire new row of pins.

UHS-I has max Bus speed of 104MB.

GH2 uses standard SDXC which is 25MB. Actual camera max speed is 23MB and 184bitrate sustained.

UHS-II U3 card will work with the GH2 fine. Although there is no guarantee it can provide 23mb sustained in SDXC mode. At least make sure the card is class 10 rated. It would show the number 10 inside a circle. This would mean they tested the card to work and guarantee 10MB minimum speeds when using only SDXC and not UHS bus.

You will have to be guinea pig to test UHS-II reliability with GH2 patches. Although I see no reason for it to not work correctly and work at full camera speeds.

information_img02.gif
    770 x 180 - 16K
  • @hexagonal Cool - thanks!

• @matt_gh2

So, Had a word with SanDisk. I got no real answer from the person I spoke. Rather, I got the more standard "We tested the compatibility and it is compatible" type of thing.

I got given this link which tells us what we know. U1 cards work.

http://pct1.sandisk.com/Default.aspx#

That being said, the main question couldn't be answered by the person I spoke to so I am waiting for an email from soneone higher up, I guess. The rep I was chatting didn't get that what I was looking for was whether: 1) the U3 card can work with a pre-U1 camera and if so 2) at what speed?

Seemed like he/she understood whether U3 can be backward compatible with U1... but we are going one extra generation of speed specs back (and maybe hardware and firmware related too)

So...will be back!

• Manicd,

You said you compared T4 to T8. Why would you prefer either of those to, say T5 or T7? I read that T5 is more grainy, sharper than T7 and I was wondering whether at high ISOs I would get a better "grainy" response from T5 and a sharper image than T7 which has a bit of macro blocking still.

• Hi Matt,

Thanks for the link. It's PDT time (I am GMT now) so they will open soon. I'll have a chat with them and see what they say.

Cheers,

• @hexagonal Maybe try calling Sandisk to see if they'll give you definitive answer re U3 vs U1.

EDIT: Here's the chat link to Sandisk - they open in a few hours. If I remember, I'll ask them today. http://kb.sandisk.com/app/utils/chat

• Go to the first driftwood cluster x series with moon. It has downloads of moon t3-t7 on first page.

Also I did my own comparison for image quality for moon t4 and moon t8. I saw no difference or reason to not use t8.

• Hi Matt and ilia,

Thanks for replying.

I am using Moon T7 exclusively so I really need the speed. Yes, I read that Extreme may be enough but from most of the literature it would appear to be hat the 64GB 95mbps Extreme Pro not only spans, but is also the most reliable and I need that reliability. That being said, in Germany, where I am buying them, there is no price difference between U3 and U1 so, like Matt, I do wonder whether the U3 will definitely not/or will work on the GH2. Even if the speed is still same as the U1 card on thee GH2, my concern is about having a future proof card that I can use with other cams in the future (especially since many 4K cams appear to be partial toward U3)

Also, I am trying to find Moon T5 so I can try and compare between the two (T7 and T5) but I can't find a T5 download anywhere. Anyone give me a hand, please?

Thank you all

• Actually price difference is only $10, so assuming the Extreme Pro still works in GH2, then I would get the Extreme Pro as that can be the difference between a higher bitrate hack setting working or not. Here's link that has both cards. Anybody know conclusively if the newer cards work or not?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=sandisk+64gb+extreme&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

• Save the money! Buy Extreme, not ExtremPro

• The new U3 cards have extra contacts on the back, so the GH2 probably can't write on them.

• Hi everyone,

I am getting new 64GB 95mb/s Extreme Pro cards and noticed that now they sell the U3 and U1 versions. Is there any difference between these for Moon T7 on GH2? As in, can the GH2 write well on the newer U3? or does it have to be exclusively U1 type?

Cheers,

• @peternap and @matt_gh2, thank you both very much for the suggestions! Much appreciated!!

• New showreel, the vast majourity was shot on the hacked GH2, if I remember correctly it was Moon T8

• @tjabo Looks good. To me, music seemed to compete a bit with the speaker. Maybe something with a slower beat and perhaps take the music volume down just a bit. All in all good work.

• @tjabo looks good to me. A little warm maybe but it's solid good work with no flash and dazzle to take you away from the character. The only minor comment I could make is to change scenes or camera angles more often. All in all, very nice work.

• I finally finished this little project I shot for a friend. I used a Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 on the main camera (GH4 on UHD), from which I cropped into several different framings. This shot gave me a lot of problems because I had the aperture too far open for this lens, and got lots of chromatic aberration that was very difficult for me to deal with in post.

The B-cam shot was Moon T8 through a Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 at about 1.8. LOVE IT!

I am looking forward to your feedback so I can get better, I'm not just putting this up as an example of what Moon T8 did for me.

Thanks in advance! :)

• I just wanted to scan to every page to make sure I hadn't missed the release of T9. Then I got to this page and things got... interesting. I need to google a few new words now, for example: legastheny

• Shaming has never lead to improvement and it never will. I can play word gymnastic as well but quite frankly there are many Pro gymnasts here already. I don't think I can add anything to it since both sides have many valid points. However, There was this man who said something useful. (Applicable in Life as well as niche scenes like GH2 Hacking forums and quest for true cinematic images) :)

mahatma-gandhi.jpg
    700 x 450 - 44K
  • Its like you hide your man boobs at a nude beach and laugh about everybody elses. Whats the point and spirit in that?

The point is to shame the lardo's into giving up their snicker's and heading to a gym once in a while. Whether or not I do the same doesn't negate the need for someone else to do it.

Framed more politely, the point of honest criticism is to allow someone to improve their work. If the standard around here is the inexperienced, unschooled amateur, no one will improve. If the standard is broadcast and independent cinema, then there's a chance for improvement.

Whether or not the critic's own work also needs improvement is irrelevant. The criticism is based on a professional standard, and holds true when it's true.

My take is that Shaveblog is trying to elevate the standard, is all. Things needed a good shaking up.

• @Manicd I think yes. I think increasing dct number and matrix quantization, it can work as a denoise to get a clean look and less sharpness like video.

• I have question and opinion. It is possible to make the GH2 look like digital video? All ptool patches make my video look too much like motion picture film.