Personal View site logo
Sony A7s, FHD camera, with 12Mp sensor, big DR
  • 1100 Replies sorted by
  • @FilmingArt

It was the first time i touched footage from the A7S and i had short time to deliver it, in between the references that i was following weren't working and i had to nail other look, so this ended to be a combination of footage graded in DaVinci Resolve and finished in After Effects mixing Luts (Osiris and Impulz) and several adjustments in Color Finesse.

Yes, i used Neat Video noise reduction on it, a more agressive profile in the low light scenes and a lighter on the others.

p.s: I've been working in the last months mainly with footage from a Sony F5 (Slog2 and 3) and with a GH4, both very different and the A7s although in Slog2 is also a completely different thing compared with the F5.

• I like what I see of the A7s videos in low light test compared to other cameras, but what I need is an unattended camera for use in a poorly lit Bowling Alley. Is the FullTime AutoFocus any good in low light? Can it track a moving person when set to one spot? I am tired of sending stuff back and don't want to invest in a lens and Shogun unless it is worth it.

• @RRRoger

I don't think the A7s is good at AutoFocus - especially tracking a moving person and in low-light. You might want to check out the Samsung NX1.

• Shot this spec commercial on the A7s. Performed admirably.

• The Sony a7S is a very capable full-frame stills camera. The problem is - it doesn't exist in a vacuum. Specifically, its siblings, the a7, a7 II, and a7R offer compelling alternatives, with higher resolution sensors, and more Raw dynamic range (surprising, after Sony's claims of the a7S' 15.3 EV dynamic range). The a7 and a7 II even offer more sophisticated AF systems, with on-sensor phase detection to aid in faster AF and tracking. They're cheaper, too.

As a tool for shooting video, the a7S is a very different story, and it's not surprising that the camera has started to develop a bit of a cult following among videographers. The a7S simply records beautiful video. Whether you shoot internally at 1080p or externally at 4K, the video files out of the a7S are among the very best we've seen from an interchangeable lens camera at this price point.

Its 1080p footage is the cleanest, most detailed we've yet seen, with virtually no moiré and often jaw-dropping low-light performance. Some of the low light advantage is undercut if you need to stop-down to achieve sufficient depth-of-field but, unlike smaller sensor systems, you have the choice over whether to do this or whether to embrace the shallow-depth-of-field and low light capabilities.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-7-s

• very nice cinematography and colors using nikon lenses, slog2, filmconvert FJ Astra 100

• A7s Underwater

• Sony A7s vs Panasonic LX100

• I used my A7s for the second time today while Bowling and the results were much better. Perhaps it was all the settings changes. Perhaps it was because I used a Ninja II to do the recording at a much higher bit rate. Perhaps because I was not recording internally the little battery lasted one hour and 27 minutes this time. Perhaps it will last longer with the LCD off like it was the first time I used an external monitor.

• Low light test

• Hi everyone, I was wondering if you could help me out a bit regarding the workflow of footage from the a7s. I'm using premiere pro cs6 for my editing. Am I correct in understanding that the xavcs codec is not supported by my version of premiere, and I have to get another piece of software to convert the xavcs footage to a premiere friendly format?

I apologize if its a simple question, we got a demo fs7 unit at work and we ran into the problem of not being able to edit any of the test shots we took.

Thanks!

• XAVC-S is just an .mp4 file with PCM audio and some constrained video encoding parameters. I sure hope Premiere reads .mp4 files.

• Hi guys, I'm thinking about filming a shortfilm with A7S. But I have a few questions:

I want to shoot it in 50fps and I shoot it on my shoulder, no tripod. So I thought: I use Crop mode with a speedbooster (crop mode has a better 50fps quality so seems and less rolling shutter). Is the iso in SLOG crop mode also 3200? And what about the noise? And how is the 50fsp quality vs the 25p (or 60 vs 30) quality?

Thanks you

• SLOG is a minimum of ISO 3200 whether you're in "crop" mode or not. As far as the noise, it will be a little more apparent in crop mode than full frame. As far as whether the amount of noise or quality are up to your standards, I'd suggest renting one for a few days (only $110 for 4 days at lensrentals.com) to do some tests.

• In S-Log2 at ISO 3200, noise will be minimal if you expose into the upper part of the recorded dynamic range: try for an exposure around +2.0 or +3.0.