Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sony A7s, FHD camera, with 12Mp sensor, big DR
  • 1100 Replies sorted by
  • @paglez, if you would make a shortmovie, which camera would you pick? I know, i have the 4/3 lenses. But maybe I can sell them. I have to think it over for a few weeks.

• A7s, undoubtedly.

• Using Canon batteries

• Just love this example on how to color grade the Sony a7S SLOG:

• @fotosiamo Now THAT is the best A7s footage I've seen.

• Sony a7s vs Epic Dragon

• Yo guys. Can anyone tell me something about the videoquality in 1080p50/60 against 1080p25/30?

• In full frame mode, 1080/60p and 1080/50p suffer from some aliasing and moire, and the picture is a bit softer than in the lower frame rate modes. It's not terrible, but not really good either. It's obviously doing some binning or line skipping instead of a full pixel read-out. In APS-C crop mode, 1080/60p and 1080/50p look every bit as good as the the lower frame rate modes. They're very good. Rolling shutter is also much better in APS-C crop mode. I use 1080/60p in APS-C crop mode exclusively.

• And BTW, APS-C looks pretty good even in 4K, since it's upscaled from a higher pixel count than HD. Think Amira…

• So APS-C crop 1080P60 looks better than 1080P60 full frame mode? Or does it look less good but with less aliasing and moire?

And how is the aliasing in 1080P30 in full frame mode?

Thanks btw!

• These modes are all very sharp with virtually no aliasing or moire. The camera must be doing a full pixel read-out with a proper downsampling algorithm. You can also apply digital zoom up to 1.3x with no reduction in sharpness.

• 1080/24p full frame

• 1080/25p full frame

• 1080/30p full frame

• 1080/24p APS-C

• 1080/25p APS-C

• 1080/30p APS-C

• 1080/50p APS-C

• 1080/60p APS-C

These modes are not so sharp and have noticeable moire and aliasing. They must be using pixel binning or line skipping of some sort. They're not terrible, but not great. Any application of digital zoom further reduces the sharpness.

• 1080/50p full frame

• 1080/60p full frame

The APS-C crop modes and the 50p and 60p modes also have less rolling shutter than the full frame 24/25/30p modes.

In conclusion, if you want high frame rates, strive to use the APS-C crop mode. You can use full frame lenses and accept the extra crop factor, or use APS-C lenses. Sony E lenses (APS-C lenses) are perfectly usable for 1080p shooting on the a7S. In fact they are often a better choice than Sony FE (full frame) lenses. But one warning, not all Sony E lenses with OSS stabilization will enable the OSS on the a7S.

• Thank You so much @balazer!!!

• the only APSC lens with OSS that i have try to my A7s and is not working , is newer kit lens 16-50mm ... (OSS only, as i simple lens is working)

I have 50mm-35mm OSS and they work fine with OSS. The same with my 10-18mm and 18-105 OSS f/4. They work nice.

• And if I buy a A7s with some Samyang prime lenses. Is it a good idea to buy the EF mount samyangs? (and use a metabones EF to sony E adapter?) (are there any cons to this?) or should I just use de samyang E mount lenses?

The reason why is because: I'm coming from the GH-series. I sold all my stuff: lenses, etc.. And that was a pitty. That's why I'm thinking: If I buy a A7S, and over 5 years I want another camera from another brand, I have again to sell all my lenses. With EF lenses, I can maybe keep them.

Or is this a bad way of thinking?

• Personally I migrated from Canon to Sony precisely because of the long term perspective and how the two companies have responded to user wishes over recent years. Having said that, with an adapter and samyang lenses you will have the fall back option.

• Yeah, the thing is. I don't think I ever buy a Canon. But EF is a mount is very populair. (Like: the blackmagic met EF mount, Red with EF mount, etc). That's the only reason. And I have to say, I also believe in sony for the long term perspective (but I also did this for GH panasonic.) Wel, I just sold my GH3 and almost all lenses, gonne wait a few month's for buying a A7s. Maybe there will be a price drop.

• Apologies if this has already been asked but for SLog2.. will a single Tiffen Variable ND (2-8 stops light) be enough for shooting in sunlight?

• Depends on the sunlight, but since you can and even should overexpose Slog2 by about two stops to avoid noise – generally yes.

• "Yeah, the thing is. I don't think I ever buy a Canon. But EF is a mount is very populair. (Like: the blackmagic met EF mount, Red with EF mount, etc). That's the only reason. And I have to say, I also believe in sony for the long term perspective (but I also did this for GH panasonic.) Wel, I just sold my GH3 and almost all lenses, gonne wait a few month's for buying a A7s. Maybe there will be a price drop."

Consius, get the lenses in Nikon mount. They can be adapted to pretty much any other mount in existence.

• The problem with the Nikon mount is that none of the adapters give you very precise control of the aperture. Also, the focus ring turns backwards compared to almost every other manufacturer's lenses. And so far I believe there are no Nikon adapters supporting auto focusing or image stabilization.

Therefore I consider Canon lenses to be a much better option, if you really want to go the adapted route. I count three different low-cost Canon EF adapters with support for auto-focus and image stabilization. They might be good alternatives to the very expensive Metabones.

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Pro-Mount-Auto-Adapter/dp/B00D9BKLX8

http://www.amazon.com/Neewer_Full-frame-Hand-shaking-Function-Camcorder-NEX-VG10/dp/B00KHJWEDA

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Adapter-Lenses-Mirrorless-Cameras/dp/B00KWHT0KC