Panasonic DVX200 - costly fixed lens 4K camera

Specs

• 4/3” MOS sensor
    • Fixed 13x zoom, 28mm-365.3mm, F2.8-F4.5
    • V-Log
    • 1080p120
    • 4Kp60
    • H.264 encoder

Not too long after the HDSLR revolution started, the companies started bringing out accessibly priced large sensor video cameras with interchangeable lenses. Such as the AF100, then later the FS100, then a bit later the C100.

Since then the C100 has been replaced with the (very disappointingly small update) C100mk2, the FS100's big brother the FS700 has been "replaced" (unofficially) with the FS7 (so surely the FS1 or FS200 is coming along next? Perhaps a topic for another thread...). Thus where is the AF200? One which has been waiting for an update for years and years longer than any of the others (and no, the AF100A hardly counts! Though I guess that is what Canon did with their "C100mk2"....).

Perhaps with the success of the GH4 (surely the most successful of the entire GH line so far), and the mainstreaming of 4K, those two factors will be sufficient to propel Panasonic to update the ageing AF100??

On a somewhat related point, how relevant is the AF100 still in 2015 and beyond? Some would think it still is: http://www.anycamerawilldo.com/old-but-not-out/

Am somewhat considering an AF100 myself, as planning on doing the next upcoming wedding season with one GH4 body and perhaps five or so GH1 bodies (maybe swapping out one GH1 for a GH2 with a monitor instead, for my second shooter to use). Thus I'll have a GH4 for single camera shoots (corporate ads / music videos / etc) and I'll have a heap of GH1 bodies to cheaply (only US$150 each!) cover the multiple angles needed for filming live events such as weddings. And I should be able to easily edit between them (making life an awful lot easier for me than this wedding season when I used: Nikon D5200 / Sony A5100 / Panasonic GH1 / G3 / GF3 / BMPCC).

However, half considering if it is worthwhile getting an AF100 as well if I see one cheap enough (say perhaps getting close to US$1,000-ish). As for appearances sake it could be reassuring for clients/brides to see my show up with an AF100, and not just a bunch of tiny GH1 bodies. Additionally I could have it handle some of the sound needs with its XLR inputs (additional to my usage of a Tascam DR-60D). And it is a camera which should cut in fairly easily enough with the bulk of the GH1 footage I'd hope?

• 143 Replies sorted by
  • Am somewhat considering an AF100 myself,

You can just get AX100 instead. Better EVF, also build in NDs, much better encoder, 4K.
    Mike and such just are added via Sony K2M. Or get X70.

• Have been looking at those in recent months, to recommend to a friend/boss who is more traditional ENG style and looking to upgrade (has an EX1R and 7D currently).

But I don't think they're so ideally suited for me? I want something which will match easily the bulk of the cameras I'd use: GH1 bodies. An AF100 would be better suited there? Additionally, needs to be cheap (AF100 could be half or even a third of the price of an AX100 + K2M or X70) and I think additionally the key factor is from purely outwards appearances the AF100 will have more of a "wow" factor from an average client/bride than an AX100 would have? (to help counteract somewhat the impression people might get from seeing tiny GH1 bodies... even though I love them!)

• Well, yep K2M make more sense if you also want later to use any of Sony FF E mount cameras also. OR upcoming camcorders. As it is modular solution.

Sony PXW-X70 is around $2300 (and will be updated to 4K).

AX100 + K2M will be $2200 new.

AF100 is around $1450. But used, noisy and without even 1080p60.

You can get AX100+ this thing, for example

http://www.amazon.com/Saramonic-SR-AX107-Two-Channel-Preamplifiers-Transformer/dp/B00SSLCON4/

• "AF100 is around $1450. But used, noisy and without even 1080p60."

I've seen prices get down towards close to $1k

And I think you're missing my core point, I don't want to use a bunch of camcorders. I want to use GH1 bodies for the bulk of the footage. And perhaps just bring along öne "serious looking" camera (which will still manage to nicely match the GH1 footage), as unfortunately first impression do matter. And as great as the GH series is, "explaining is losing". Thus I thought perhaps by using a mix of GH4/GH1/AF100 (bulk of them being GH1) I could perhaps get the best of all worlds at a very low cost.

• @IronFilm

It is just personal thoughts about long know rumors.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

The AF100 does do 1080p60, I used to own one.

• The AF100 does do 1080p60, I used to own one.

Yep. Some latest versions (it was paid update, hardware or something).

• It did 1080p60 overcrank stock from the beginning, but if you wanted 1080p60 with audio it was a paid update.

• but if you wanted 1080p60 with audio it was a paid update.

Well, yes. This is that I understand under normal 1080p60.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev , yeah there is nothing really "new" there. But the fact Noam Kroll posted this (a guy who almost never posts rumours) lends a lot of weight to this likely happening in at least some kind of form.

• But the fact Noam Kroll posted this (a guy who almost never posts rumours) lends a lot of weight to this likely happening in at least some kind of form.

I think this all rumor mill and posts tells more about state of Panasonic camera division.

I am also 99% sure that this 15-16 stops claim will be valid only in special HDR mode (if it is not complete bullshit).

• HDR mode on a new AF100 coming from the panny consumer side could still be interesting. If it has some kind of smart V-Log, plus a Multi shot exposure HDR in Video mode (even if only in HD) then it could be a cool option for challenging contrasty conditions. We'll know in a few weeks I guess.

• Panasonic has announced the AG-DVX200 4K large-sensor, 4/3” handheld camcorder, Offering many top-end features such 4K/60p recording, a 13X optical zoom and a V-Log L gamma curve 12 stops of latitude.

• Where is announcement PR, I mean link?

• PR

AG-DVX200 4K Large-Sensor Handheld Camcorder Features Top-End Performance

Offering many top-end features such 4K/60p recording, a 13X optical zoom and a V-Log L gamma curve (12 stops of latitude, target) and delivering a shallow depth of field and a wide field of view, the DVX200 is the ideal companion camera to the company’s groundbreaking VariCam 35 4K camera/recorder.

The DVX200 will be optimized for 4K/HD production and shares the esteemed VariCam family characteristics of filmic tonality and colorimetry, with natural, subtle rendering of skin flesh tones. It will offer a V-Log curve emulating the natural grey-scale rendition of the VariCam 35. The camcorder will be available in Fall 2015 with a suggested list price under $5000.

At NAB, it was announced that the award winning LUMIX GH4 will have firmware update (Ver.2.2) available later this month, enabling recording anamorphic video content. Unlike complex digital post processing needed to achieve the classic Hollywood look, many effects that have became so popular with anamorphic film capture can now be achieved optically in the LUMIX GH4.

• How disapointing will be if GH4 doesnt bring V-Log and better codec implementation.

• @endotoxic

For this use GH4 topic :-)

Chiquitita, tell me what's wrong
    You're enchained by your own sorrow
    In your eyes there is no hope for tomorrow
    How I hate to see you like this
    There is no way you can deny it
    I can see that you're oh so sad, so quiet

• vitaly

do you know what will be the F stop on the zoom of this new 4k camera? lets hope not 3.5 -5.6. would be grate if the put something like the 12-120 f2

they have zeizz tech either way.

• good poem! ;-)

• @endotoxic

It is not poem, it is song by ABBA :-)

• So no interchangeable lens 4k MFT camera / camcorder from Panasonic?

• Sad if true, they've just given up the ILC market space to everyone else. Perhaps a GH5 is just around the corner with amazing specs?