Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic DVX200 - costly fixed lens 4K camera
  • 143 Replies sorted by
  • Il sure this will be a cool camera but I was really hoping for basically the same camera with an interchangeable lens.. Jvc only option at this range it seems..

• @shian

It's Panasonic! (c)

• PR

Panasonic has announced the AG-DVX200 4K large-sensor, 4/3” handheld camcorder here at NAB 2015. The DVX200 will offer many top-end features including 4K/60p* recording, a 13X optical zoom and a V-Log L gamma curve (12 stops of latitude, target).

Delivering a shallow depth of field and a wide field of view, the DVX200 is the ideal companion camera to the company’s groundbreaking VariCam 35 4K camera/recorder. With an integrated lens design, the DVX200 will excel in independent film and documentary production, as well as event videography.

The DVX200 will be optimized for 4K/HD production, and shares the esteemed VariCam family characteristics of filmic tonality and colorimetry, with natural, subtle rendering of skin flesh tones, and a V-Log curve emulating the natural grey-scale rendition of the VariCam 35. The camcorder will incorporate a newly-developed 4/3” large-format MOS sensor and offer variable frame rate recording up to 120fps in FHD mode, enhancing the DVX200’s utility in sports and VFX production.

The new handheld 4K camcorder will offer an array of professional features including a newly-designed Leica Dicomar 4K F2.8~F4.5 zoom lens (4K/24p: 29.5 mm ~ 384.9 mm, HD: 28 mm ~ 365.3mm, 35 mm equivalent), time-code in/out, 3G HD-SDI and HDMI 2.0 (4K) video outs, easy focus and zooming, and programmable user buttons.

The DVX200 will record 4K (4096 × 2160) / 24p, UHD (3840 × 2160) / HD (1920 × 1080) 60p / 50p / 30p / 25p / 24p in either MP4 / MOV file formats. There are two SD card** slots, facilitating backup and relay recording. For professionals working worldwide, the camera’s master frame rate is selectable between 59.94Hz (23.98Hz) / 50.00Hz / 24.00Hz.

The DVX200’s three manual operation lens rings—13x zoom (Cam driven), focus and iris—will provide a comfortable manual control similar to an interchangeable lens camera, but without the need for actual lens changes. The zoom ring's solid feel and smooth action allow delicate ultra-slow zooming. In addition, the camera’s multi-step zoom control provides fast response and smooth zoom action, yielding the creative freedom every camera operator desires. The zoom control on the handle enables variable speed zoom, allowing fine zoom control even for low angle shots. The DVX200 also features an enhanced Image Stabilizer, including a five-axis Hybrid Image Stabilizer and 4x correction-area Image Stabilizer that produces clear images without blurring, and a micro-drive focus unit that improves focus speed, tracking and capture performance, facilitating 4K focusing and shallow focus shooting.

The new Leica Dicomar 4K zoom lens with F2.8 aperture is an optimal choice for 4K video, with the ability to produce elegant imagery and subtle “bokeh” Also, Leica’s exacting quality standards serve to suppress the occurrence of ghosting and flare to a minimum. Since the DVX200 is an integrated-lens camcorder, there is no need to perform the flange back adjustments or shading corrections when changing lenses. Even with a large diameter lens, the DVX200’s weight and balance have been optimized to facilitate agile, mobile 4K acquisition. With superb center-of-gravity balance, the camcorder will be ideal for such flexible shooting applications as mounting on today’s popular stabilized camera rigs.

The AG-DVX200 utilizes a front element lens / filter diameter of 72mm, a very common size. It is expected that many third party lens accessory manufacturers will announce items such as close-up lenses and other desired options.

The AG-DVX200 will feature next-generation ergonomics, with the battery positioned in the rear so as not to interfere during handheld shooting. The DVX200 comes with a rugged woven carbon,fiber-like finish, and the recording section is distinctively styled with crimson shading.

The AG-DVX200 will be available in Fall 2015 with a suggested list price under $5000.

• Why in the world did they not just make the camera have a detachable servo lens that it comes with?!...like an xl2 for example? So Limiting!

• Why in the world did they not just make the camera have a detachable servo lens that it comes with?!...like an xl2 for example? So Limiting!

DVX100 sold very good many years ago. DVX200 must sell even better. (c) Panasonic logic

• Panasonics way of looking forward is looking back (but even further).

Surely it is 8bit 4:2:0 AVCHD only too?

@matticusmaximus Lets hope that after they realize that the disturbance/shockwaves they expected this thing to create will likely be equal or smaller than what the AF100b "update" created - they do remove that lens.

Panasonic: give us a version without the lens please! (and make the one attached a removable one before launching the thing)

They have really tried their best to find any and all excuses for the fixed lens :) so they do realize that its a bad idea...

"...there is no need to perform the flange back adjustments or shading corrections when changing lenses."

Yep, sure, this must be something that I do all the time with GH4 and other m4/3 cameras, continously just adjusting the flange back distance. :D

• Yep, sure, this must be something that I do all the time with GH4 and other m4/3 cameras, continously just adjusting the flange back distance. :D

I have spent more time than you can imagine adjusting flange back distances on many different lenses, and I wouldn't have it any other way. :) Love me those interchangeable lenses.

• Not too much info @ Panasonic's site. I am sure this f2.8 lens stops down when zoomed in. http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/dvx4k/index.html

• It does . . . Leica Dicomar 4K F2.8~F4.5 zoom lens (4K/24p: 29.5 mm ~ 384.9 mm, HD: 28 mm ~ 365.3mm, 35 mm equivalent),

But a 14-180 2.8 4.5 lens is pretty good for Weddings!

• I can see those people still use EX123/P2 cams (I still see them used at weddings too!) can upgrade to this one, the quality is much more improved.

• So what kind of "Extra Control" do they get with the lens by having it built in? They mention it in that last video, but it makes no sense to me...

• @matticusmaximus As you zoom in and that lens needs to stop down, these camcorders (generally) gain up to compensate. They can also offer a reasonable smooth servo zoom, built in.

• Here's another video:

• I just keep thinking, (Canon did it back in the day with the xl2) I suppose the larger sensor makes a big difference and they want to keep the size down...oh well, maybe it will pair well with the gh4, or gh5 whenever it comes out...

• :54 mark of the video. AVC Ultra at 444. He most likely made a mistake but I thought I'd post this here. Imagine if that was true.

• I just got back from NAB. I especially wanted to see the replacement for the AF100 with 4/3 Sensor and lens mount. Instead they were aggressively pushing the AG-DVX200 4K large-sensor, 4/3” handheld camcorder. They asked and I did not like the red on the demo cameras, I was not exactly impressed with the price performance either.

Instead I left thinking I would buy a 4k JVC super 35 GY-LS300 with MFT mount for all my Panasonic lens. This is the camera, I think that Panasonic could have built a better version but missed the boat.

• If only the URSA Mini 4K had come in a m4/3 mount..... then that would be our AF200 replacement at only $3k! (though likely with just 3K-ish resolution after the crop from Super 35mm, but still plenty of extra resolution for 1080 distribution)

Instead very surprisingly the JVC GY-LS300 is still in the running as my camera I'll do the big splurge on getting this year. I'm even still considering the original AF100 instead, if I can pick it up on eBay for under $1k.

• There will be plenty of AF100 for under $1k. Camera stores are only offering $500 for a trade in.

• $500?? Crazy, I'd buy an AF100 in a heartbeat if I could get one to my door for just $500

• Panasonic just added more information on their web site...

http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/dvx4k/

AG-DVX200 4/3-type Fixed Lens 4K Camcorder Builds on the Best of Panasonic’s Highly-Acclaimed HD Cameras.

Following in the footsteps of the breakthrough AG-DVX100, the new AG-DVX200 debuts as the world’s first1 4/3-type large format, 4K/60p2 camcorder to feature an integrated zoom lens. The DVX200 captures stunning imagery by virtue of LEICA DICOMAR 4K 13x zoom lens combined with an advanced large format 4K imager and the blending of aesthetics like shallow focus, attractive Bokeh, and an amazing 12 stop dynamic range made possible by the VariCam style V-Log L processing. Newly designed lens-integrated body provides excellent mobility and extra flexibility is supported by the compartment with hatch-type cover which protects the battery and terminals from dust and impacts. The crimson red coloring and stylish carbon-black textured body represents philosophy and advanced features of the new AG-DVX200 which produce emotional and highly detailed 4K images.