Personal View site logo
Panasonic LX100 camera topic
  • 566 Replies sorted by

We found the colors produced by the sensor to be both attractive and realistic. The dynamic range is great, though it is definitely easier to recuperate details in the shadows than in the highlights in post-processing. As for high ISO performance, it is very good up to 1600.

http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2015/01/28/panasonic-lumix-lx100-review-part-ii/

hdd21.jpg
    800 x 533 - 68K
  • Does this camera record cinema 24p 4k or just 23.976 4k?

• 3840 x 2160 only, no C24

There's a lot to like about the Panasonic LX100. It bridges the gap between some of the very small fixed lens compacts and smaller mirrorless systems, offering a reasonably priced pocket camera with a built-in EVF and 4K video capability. Stills image quality is high.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/panasonic_lx_100_review.shtml

hdd30.jpg
    563 x 599 - 108K
  • Got my Nauticam NA-LX100 housing yesterday. For obvious reasons, I had to change my profile image on this occasion :-)

na-lx100-klein.jpg
    1920 x 1440 - 884K
  • @karl

Are you going to shooting sharks from 2 meters next?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev: I already did shoot some sharks from that distance (and less) in the past... and probably will do so end of March, when I'm off to my next diving trip :-)

• and probably will do so end of March, when I'm off to my next diving trip :-)

Kiss them for me, ok?

• Hmmm... I'd rather not, you never know whether they appreciate personal contact. I'll keep my LX100 between me and them :-)

(The attached is a screen shot from a video I took at Maya Thila, Maldives, 2013. Will dive there again... this time taking 4k videos :-)

shark.jpg
    640 x 360 - 51K
  • I wish I had that housing when I was in the Azores last month getting a lot of 4K footage. It'll be great seeing your underwater footage being shot with the LX100.

I posted some video of the Azores in an earlier post of this thread. I Thought a certain clip I shot looked a bit over exposed and so on another day, I decided to go to that spot again to re-shoot it. Once I shot it, I decided to go down to where the ocean is. While walking down, I had to go extra slowly because of how slippery the cement was. Then when I got to a good spot, I decided to take a shot. I then put the camera back into my pocket. While I was about to head back, a big wave decided to hit me. Once the water got back into the ocean, I started walking and then saw that a second wave was getting to me. I immediate ran to grab onto the wall of rocks just so I don't fall. On the way to go back up, if I third wave were to get to me, well, lest just say it would be very hard to get to a well and who knows what would have happened.

I ended up getting out with just some scratches and a sore elbow and at the same time being soaked from head to toe with water. I'm sure the people must have been wondering why I'm walking around the city covered in water. As expected, the LX100 got destroyed with the water. I did end up putting the camera inside rice but I have no idea if the camera is good. I do know that the battery is gone for good. I I actually rented that camera from a rental house and currently awaiting to find out how much it'll cost me to fix the camera. To make matters worse, the clip that looked overexposed really wasn't that over exposed when I watched it on my TV in the US and in fact, it looked better than the clip it replaced. I had always put the camera inside a plastic bag but on the day it happened, I did not go with the bag. As mentioned, the ground was already very slippery but for some strange reason I still decided to go their.

Unfortunately their was some more places that I wanted to shoot with that camera and couldn't. At least I was able to get a lot of shots as is before that incident happened. I'm still very bugged by it to this day. I just have to remind myself that things could have gotten much worse. I could have been badly injured.

Reminds me of another incident in the Azores. Summer of 2005. I had bought the Sony HC1 camcorder. I decided to take a lot of scenery shots with it. Now in one particular spot, their was a mountain with a hot springs pool at the bottom. I decided to climb the mountain just to get a wide shot. When it was time to come down, I decided to go down with my back side to the mountain just so I don't mess up the camcorder which I had put in my pocket. Yes, my pocket was big enough to fit it. All of a sudden, I slipped and then grabbed onto a ledge. If that ledge wasn't their, I would have hell into the hot springs. The water isn't actually that hot since people swim in it but still, the camcorder would have obviously gotten messed up.

• cant wait to see some more underwater footage?

• @PauloTeixeira: For the purpose of near-surface shooting, the Nauticam housing is probably overly expensive - for the situation you described a much less expensive(*) bag-type housing (like this one from ewa-marine) should be sufficient.

(*) ewa-marine bags seem to be sold somewhat overpriced in the US, in Germany, the D-B bag is sold for for 161 € - including 19% VAT. But the US retail prices for this bag are still ~5 times below the price of a NA-LX100...

Your experience was really a sad one... but as you said, much worse things could have happened had the waves taken you to the ocean... plenty of people died in similar accidents in past years.

@deedive: I won't be able to deliver before mid of April...

• I will use LX100 in a Nauticam Housing at Socorro very soon, do you think a red filter is necessary? I still have a few magic filters.

• I have bought also the Nauticam housing and I am diving now in Rangiroa and Fakarava. You can adjust very easily White Balance. I prefer this in stead of using red filter.

• @kkfok: Red filters just take away light, they had their use with analog film, but a digital camera can computationally compensate the white balance and still benefit from the larger amount of light that reaches the sensor without the filter. As @danz already wrote, the LX100 is very good at that - just use the "custom white balance" settings and use a grey card or something else neutral for the reference shot to set it up.

• @karl, thanks. I usually just white balance with my palm, glad to know that LX100 can MWB nicely underwater. Not every cameras were created the same. I tried GH2 some years ago and it couldn't MWB underwater without a red filter.

@danz, Fakarava is my dream place, wish you can share you video when you are back. Which port are you using? I am using the 3.5" dome.

• @kkfok: Yeah Fakarava is great. If you go you should dive both passes: north and south. I mostly used the 3.5 dome. And I can confirm that the alarm is working. At 13 meter it suddenly went on and that saved my camera and housing.

• @danz: So after the alarm rang there was only so little water inside that it didn't reach vital parts before you resurfaced?

Can you say what part of the housing was leaking? And how you fixed the cause of the leak?

@kkfok: You use you palm as a reference? Unless you're a Zombie, your palm is supposed to have a healthy rosy tint, much unlike grey... ;-)

If you don't have a grey card with you, you can use the greyish exteriour of aluminium gas tanks of nearby divers, or you can use sandy patches on the ground, but only if they are not speckled with algae.

I can confirm that the GH2 custom white balance function was unable to compensate for strongly tinted ambient light such as experienced underwater, but correction in post was still possible - and the image could still benefit from the better luminance information without a filter. Luckily, the LX100 is much better than the GH2 with regards to custom white balance compensation.

• @danz, Yes, will definitely do both passes, plan to do the trip on early 2016 with Rangiroa. How's the corner sharpness of the dome? Do you need to step down the lens? I found that I could only focus with AF-Macro underwater behind the dome, do you have the same experience?

• @karl: After the alarm I noticed some drops in the housing. I have put the housing immediately in a horizontal position with the dome downside. I noticed then that there was about 0,5 to 1 cm in the dome. I kept the housing in that position and I surfaced waitig for the boat to come and I asked the captain to keep the housing in the horizontal position. Then I turned the dome off and removed the water. I cleaned and let it dry for a night. What part was leaking? I honestly don't know. I cleaned and waxed the earring of the door and the dome. And I double checked if the handle for the on/off buttom was well as far as possible down. Next I did a test dive without housing and it didn't leak. Pfff hé, hé...

@ kkfok: Do you mean focusing in AF macro behind the 3,5'' dome? That sounds strange? I think I am missing your point.

• @danz, I could only test the housing in my bath tub, subjects were around 50-60cm from the dome port and I found my camera could only focus at the subjects with AF-Macro mode.

• @kkfok: I didn't try this with the 3,5'' dome because I used it mainly for wideangle in Fakarava. For focusing on subjects of around 50 cm I rather would use the standard rectangular port. @ karl: correction I did use the housing without camera for the test dive.

• LX100 topic...... not underwater stuff, i suggest different topic.

• If the successor of LX100 has a mic input and manual zoom like what was found in Fuji X10/X20/X30 series, then I will buy one for me.

• For portable cameras I personally would prefer an good on board mic. The problem though is wind noise. I think if they choose not to allow an external mic the on-board one should be able to handle common windy conditions.