Personal View site logo
Are all POWER OIS lenses unsuitable for handheld shooting?
  • 143 Replies sorted by
  • I owned both lenses and compared them. Yes, the 14-140 v1 is better for handheld Video, but it is much bigger and heavier. On the other hand, the 14-140 v2 has remarkable better sharpness and contrast in the 70-140mm range.

For 4K recording I'd definitely prefer the 14-140 v2 as the micro jitter can be easily removed in post without significant sharpness degradiation using the software stabilizer built into my NLE (I'm using Edius).

For 1080p recording I would use the 14-140 v1, as the sharpness disadvantage caused by the v1 lens is less visible than the sharpness degradiation caused by the software stabilizer.

• Here are 3 more videos showing the 14-140mm v2 OIS vibration.

The vibration shows even in these low res clips.

• Sony A7 II joins the club.

• Now I have tested the demo version of new Mercalli v4. It has good improvements. I can now stabilize many clips with assigning the same settings to all files. There is still not a possibility to save settings. I can now get rid of that micro vibration easily with lots of files.

The luminance shift GH3/4 0-255 to 16-235 is corrected (hurray). It is funny because when I asked them earlier about it (v3) they said that the issue not exists but they have now corrected it silently.

Rendering is still about the same than earlier and the bitrate goes easily very high with complex 4k scene.

There are some new features like NR/sharpening and clip combining. There are also new stab features with very slow analysing but those are optional. I can not say much about stab IQ, I just started using it.

• One more vibrating 14-140 v2 lens:

• My 14 140 v1 jitters, it also has this strange behavior that when on a tripod, the lens does this strong jitter from time to time. I know it makes no sense to have the ios on but its just really annoying that it ruins the shot if I forget to shot it off. Its also a strong indication that something is really wrong with the way ios works.

I'm to the point where I think ios is useless, and I think the jitters ruins the frames with jitter to a point thats not recoverable by post stabilization due to the smearing caused by the nature of the very fast movement of the jitter combined with slow shutter when filming.

• @Brumbazz

Are you sure it is the older 14-140 v1 F 4-5.6 ? I thought the jitter issue is the problem of newer version. Does it jitter when shooting stationary wide (14mm) clips handheld?

• Two more examples of 14-140mm v jittering OIS. Is there somebody else with same kind of videos? I need evidence for Panasonic.

This is mine at 14mm:

• I own the 14-140 v2 lens as well and I can fully confirm your findings. I previously owned the 10-140 v1 lens, which did not show this kind of jitter. However, optical quality of the v2 lens is much better at the long end.

• No answer from Panasonic yet although I keep asking.

Meanwhile we can enjoy jittering videos from Youtube ( GH4 + 14-140mm f3.5-5.6 ) :

• New example of jittering Panasonic 14-140mm f 3.5-5.6. Please complain to Panasonic is you have this lens.

• 35-100mm f2.8 FW update !!!

Can someone report if the jitter issue is fixed?

• I was planning on doing some shooting with 35-100/2.8 this weekend on my gx7. Don't know if I will have time to do a before and after, but I'm definitely going to upgrade.

• @vesku: Thanks for your notification.

I downloaded the firmware update and tested it @1080p and @4K. This firmware is a HUGE improvement. I would say, handheld OIS stability of the 35-100mm lens is now on par with the 12-35/2.8 lens @35mm and does not get significantly worse @100mm. However, in my hands there is still a slight jitter visible on both lenses.

• I can't wait to see some new videos posted, Come on guys, get out there and shoot something!

• Great news! Hopefully they will do the same for 14-140mm II as well

• I ran a quick repeat of the test I had posted previously and concur with @sportster : the OIS on the 35-100mm lens now appears to be similar in character to the OIS on the 12-35mm lens. Which is to say, not great, but definitely better than it was.

• I finally got an answer from Panasonic factory about my questions of Panasonic 14-140 f3.5-5.6 OIS jittering in video. They said that my many jittering example videos looks normal and the OIS seems to work in factory standards and there is nothing wrong. It is not a surprise, what else they can say. They said the same thing about 35-100 f2.8 but still they made the FW fix. Now they still cant say that they have not heard about the issue.

• They said the same thing about 35-100 f2.8 but still they made the FW fix

Let's hope for 14-140 firmware :-)

• @sportster -- I wish I could say I see the same thing. Maybe it depends on each specific lens sample, but my 35-100 is nowhere near as good as my 12-35 (I'm sure everyone can figure out which is which):

• The update is a great improvement. On my sample, it is still fairly visible, but much better than before. It's of course subjective, but I can probably live with the jitter in normal mode. It is not good enough in Tele-Ex still though, so tripod is required there (at least in my opinion).

• found this video on Vimeo. 35-100mm before and after firmware update.

• Wow that is quite a difference.

• It's a shame, because the OIS on the old 14-42 is quite good. Even in ETC mode. Dunno why the messed it up so badly on the newer lenses.

• Here is one more example of "normal working OIS in Panasonic standards" .

Panasonic 14-140mm f3.5-5.6.