Personal View site logo
Sony A7s, FHD camera, with 12Mp sensor, big DR
  • 1100 Replies sorted by
  • @Sage I know, but basically every few months there is something amazing coming out. As for now, I did the jump and finally ordered the A7s. Happy to go full frame and high ISO :)

• @artiswar Great Video, I am jealous of your Scarlet Macaw =P

• @TATZU - Thank you! Not my beautiful bird but my neighbour's. He walks the neighbourhood with his German Shepard, Macaw on its back. :)

• @artiswar haha that is super cool!

• Shot On The Sony A7S PP6 With Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA Lens.

• Keep in mind that another benefit of 10bit vs 8bit is that the extra bit depth means that when you really have the stretch the image, the quality will be much higher with 10bit as there are more gradations in color. Pushing 8bit around too much just makes it look washed out and thin.

• Hey guys,

Here is a 30+ minute short film that I shot on the A7s. We shot it over 3 days with a budget of about $200 bucks. I used nothing but natural and available light (not even a bounce) and the only stabilization I used was a monopod during static scenes. My co-director and I did this as sort of a challenge to ourselves to see if we could do it with such restrictions. Please feel free to ask any questions if you have them.

• @kevin_kirchman thanks for your post, it's a great thing to experiment with available light, Godard himself did it! :) what lens and profile?

• Thanks @albertz. I used PP6 with the majority of it being shot with the 28-70, tho I did use the Canon 35mm F2 and 50mm 1.8 for some scenes with more shallow DOF.

• i was wondering if anybody has figured out if you can add or change the aspect bars in the a7s. there is a 2:35:1, but i like to shoot in 2:40:1. it is not so much of a difference, but i thought there might be a way to customize it. it would be so great, if this camera would have the hackability of a gh2... :/

The big story with the video front on the A7S is, of course, 4K video. With very high detail, excellent color and dynamic range, 4K footage from the A7S looks outstanding. The sensor is tailor-made for 4K with direct pixel readout using the full width of the sensor with no line skipping or pixel binning. That being said, there's a major downside in terms of convenience to shooting 4K with the A7S: you can't record it internally. To keep the slim, svelte design of the A7-series cameras, Sony opted to have 4K video capture available via HDMI out to an external recorder, since capturing 4K video on such a huge sensor would generate too much heat to record internally.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-a7s/sony-a7sA.HTM

premium32.jpg
    800 x 530 - 73K
  • I got the A7s and from what I've experienced so far, it is really amazing. PP settings are really complex but it's nice they enabled so many deeply technical adjustments.

• @flablo

Be sure to share things you will make with it :-)

• video shot on the a7s

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev sure, as soon as I do something interesting or rent a cat

• available light, Zeiss planar 50 and 85mm, edited and graded in premiere

• S-Log Color Workflow

• Hi everyone, I'm looking into buying an A7s, I know CES is coming up and I'm definitely going to wait until after CES is over to commit to buying the camera but I was wondering if anyone knew if sony is planning on updating the a7s soon? I believe I read about an alpha9 camera. I'm very unfamiliar with sony's updating and releasing camera schedule so I'm not sure whether to go with the a7s or if it would be beneficial to me to wait for a future release. Anybody have any insight? Thanks!

• Re: 10-bit vs 8-bit.

Yes 10-bit (or more) would be nice indeed.

If you're that desperate for it, if you're shooting in 1080p, if you take 50p or 60p, and blend 2 frames together for an output of 25p or 30p within a 16-bit space you should get more than 10-bits. Same if you downsize 4K to 1080p in a 16-bit space. (You can work in a 16-bit space in AE iirc).