Personal View site logo
Panasonic LX100 camera topic
  • 566 Replies sorted by
  • @karl I am still debating to buy the LX100. I will use it 90% for video underwater. The last days I read a lot of threads about the LX100 and the forthcoming houses of Nauticam and Ikelite. The reason I am hesitating is that there might be an issue about the Autofocus hunting of the LX 100. And that might become a problem underwater. I have read that there are some workaronds but I wonder this will work underwater? Any idea of the GH 4 has the same 'problem'? I have a trip planned to Rangiroa in January and will miss the forthcoming reviews of the use of the housings underwater. TNX for your advice

• Basically to make it like the GH cameras in which if I select the top dial to the mode that has the letter M together with a movie camera, I can see my adjustments live on the screen. For example, if I increase the ISO, the image on the screen would get brighter. If I increase the shutter speed, the image on the screen would get darker.

Anyway, I tried what you said and it works somewhat. I guess I'll have to play with it some more.

• @PauloTeixeira: I'm not sure I understand your question correctly, but if by adjustments you mean aperture/shutter effects, please have a look at the manual section titled "Checking the effects of the aperture value and shutter speed ([Preview] Mode)" (page 88 in the english LX 100 manual).

But of course you can also check you settings while you're recording and just later throw away the part of your recording where you were adjusting...

• I basically took a native clip off that card and uploaded to YouTube. Shot in 3840x2160p30. Shutter of 30, Aperture of around f/1.7 at it's widest and it obviously changed a bit when I zoomed it. Auto focus was at auto. I was sort of looking at the settings on the camera while shooting which wasn't the brightest idea. I really should have practiced a bit shooting with the camera handheld before I shot this.

Anyway, does anyone know what I need to do in order to see my adjustments live on the screen? It works if I hit record first but I want to see my adjustments live before I hit record.

• Basically the Panasonic AC90 got all the time-lapse shots and the LX100 got shots of him singing as well as talking about the painting. Edited in Premiere Pro CC 2014.

The only other time I've used the LX100 was briefly in a store. I received the LX100 yesterday and decided to finish up this video with it. The clip is originally 2160p but I was already using a 1080p timeline and I decided to stick with it.

This was obviously shot in Massachusetts and I'll actually be leaving to the Azores in a few days. I'll be their for 2 weeks.

• @markr041 - lovely color and details

• @gameb The video I posted on Richmond above:

1. It was shot all handheld. So you can see what the camera does without degrading software fixes.

2. It used the internal mics, so you can hear the ambient sounds (atmosphere). There was no wind, so the sound is very natural (water flows, honking geese, traffic, birds, trains going by). And there is no distracting music track.

I recommend you download the original 4K version.

• I know @karl, it was not really a question for you...:)) it was more in general, as I use the camera built in mics sometimes, when the primary sound is not really that important, like sound atmospheres, over dubbed voices or music in post etc. the gh2-sound sometimes was very useful

• @gameb: I didn't care about the sound at all, since I usually just shoot underwater videos, where there's not much of interest to record (well, fish are not really mute, but their sounds are not very exciting, either).

I didn't even bother to switch on the "Wind Cut" option, which I probably should have, given how strong the wind blew :-)

• @karl Looks really good, like for some kind of work you can shoot without tripode... Any feedback about the camera built in mics?

• I've now uploaded my LX100 stabilization test video - you can download the test video here: (Use something like "right-click / Save as..." to store the file locally, streaming replay probably won't be possible at the bitrates used):

3840 x 2160 24p H.264 encoded at 32 MBit/s (size ~1.1GB)

1920 x 1080 24p H.264 encoded at 16 MBit/s (size ~550MB)

(Notice that downscaling from 2160p to 1080p is not a trivial procedure if you want to avoid awful aliasing artefacts - therefore either follow the recommendations given in this posting or download the already carefully downscaled 1080p version if you do not have a 4k display to watch the video on.)

No tripods, stands, gimbals, gyros or alike were used for any of the contained scenes - only the LX100's built-in OIS plus Georg Martius' vid.stabfilter were used on the all-handheld-shot material.

Colors, exposure and sharpness have not been changed. Compressed domain cut was done using mpv and the excerpt plugin and ffmpeg. Timeline editing and rendering were done using kdenlive.

Settings used to record the video were: 0/0/0/0 for brightness/color/contrast/sharpness, "style" was "standard" and "shadows +2" used to somewhat lighten up darker areas. I didn't play around with those settings too much, I saw not much reason to deviate from the standard settings other than for lifting the shadow areas somewhat.

@sgreszcz: Regarding your question: "Does anyone know if the LX100 locks the ISO and white balance (if set to auto) when you hit the record button?": ISO is not locked when set to "auto", and from what I have seen, it is reasonably well adjusted with the lighting conditions. White balance seems to be locked when not in "Automatic White Balance" mode, just as one would expect.

One thing that definitely put a smile on my face as I wandered around downtown Knoxville shooting with all three cameras side by side was the Panasonic LX100's performance. Sure, I wasn't shooting sports, but then none of these cameras have long enough lenses to be well-suited to sports anyway, unless you're pretty close to the action. But for more general shooting, the LX100 was easily swift enough to capture active kids and pets or the like, and it felt significantly faster than either the RX100 III or G7X.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-lx100/panasonic-lx100-shooters-report-part-i.htm

premium31.jpg
    800 x 585 - 202K
  • @karl,

I would be interested in seeing some of your experiments and learning more of your shooting settings. I've just been shooting some of my kid's Christmas plays, indoors in less that great light and they have turned out great! I love this camera, and haven't even had to use stabilisation in post as the lens OIS has been great, at least for hand shakes.

Before I had olympus cameras with IBIS, but they haven't done much with improving video. With 4k on the LX100 (and hopefully with the GX7 replacement) I'm going to switch to Panasonic and use the extra resolution for any video projects.

Does anyone know if the LX100 locks the ISO and white balance (if set to auto) when you hit the record button? I think that it doesn't seem to shift as much as when shooting video on my Olympus cameras.

• After a week of fun holiday shooting with the LX100 and optimizing my postprocessing workflow for it, I can say that one of the best things about "4k resolution" to me is the increased potential of ex-post stabilizing. I did numerous free-handed shots, e.g. standing on one boat in the wind & waves, shooting another boat at maximum focus length, and only in post stabilized the footage (using libvidstab with ffmpeg). And what can I say, looks perfect to me, without any stand or gimbal.

(The InterNet bandwidth on this island sucks, but if people are interested, I can upload some samples after returning home.)

• @gzol: The 3 Patona batteries I bought so far work great for me (see also my posting above in this thread.)

• you can buy genuine battery really cheap, I bought 2 BLE9 (GF3-GF6) battery and they work perfectly fine on LX100, just about 10% less battery life