Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • Some video projects I made shot with the GH4 incl. Metabones Speedbooster and Nikon lenses.

• $1497. Great, it's getting better. I still only have a GH3. I'd love to be able to crop/zoom 4K source in a 1080p timeline. And, I really like the idea of being able to pull 8M stills from a 4K capture. But...I would really like to wait till we have 60p available in 4K. Is that ever going to happen? Or is it too much data to feed in too little time? Will 60p in 4K come when the H265 codec? If 60p in 4k will be feasible in the next year or so, I'll bide my time with the GH3. Will we ever see 60p in 4K? Maybe in a GH5?

• Is that ever going to happen? Or is it too much data to feed in too little time? Will 60p in 4K come when the H265 codec?

Of course. Most probably it will still be H.264, as you won't be able play high bitrate 4K 60fps HEVC on most computers (on around 90-95%).

• @jjj_ri_usa

Btw timing and price are very interesting also. As they set it equal to Samsung NX1 and price was adjusted right before wide release of Samsung.

Seems that they take this camera seriously.

• Btw, small preview. On Black Friday we will match this price for EU/AU/NZ customers (of course we also include shipping in it).

• @Vitaly Competition is a good thing! :-) Panasonic needs to be concerned about the NX1. It seems to be a very good camera. It has a lot of the features of the GH4, but with a larger sensor. But...I'm invested in u43 lenses, so I will wait for a GH5 that will hopefully have 4k @ 60p?

• Now would be a good time to get serious about releasing that V-Log update.

As for the GH5, it needs a multi aspect ratio sensor to get around the 4K crop.

• Hi guys, this is my first post here at personalview. I apologize if this has been answered before.

Basically I want to use an European GH4 to record live events(>30min) with an external recorder. Is it possible to get continuous clean 1080P output from the HDMI out with the camera in standby mode and terefore kinda bypassing the 30min rec limit?

• Once the next firmware upgrade is released, you should have complete 25p functionality with Atomos recorders

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev @Vitaly Thanks for the price drop link. I just got my GH4 in the US few days before :-( .

Do you think you could work one day on a GH4 hack ? I think the hardware is totaly capable of 120FPS in 2K/1080p maybe even @ 4.2.2 internaly, better audio bitrate and a lot more... I would be the first one to donate 30-50$ if you need to buy a GH4 for it and for your working time and I bet that at least 100 other fans from the community would do the same, with more or less money.

You made me fall in love with my GH2 back in the days :)

• If I wanted better than the GH4, I'd buy a different camera. I can't see the point in hacking it. The GH2 was a different matter; there was nothing else around at the time and removing the 30 min limit and increasing recording bitrate and GOP structure was all that was really possible.

• I have got an idea.

Can I have 4:4:4 1080P ETC if I use 4k and 2x digital zoom?

• Quick little vid from Thanksgiving. Voigtlander 42.5, Cinelike D + Implulz LUT Kodak Elite Chrome.

• Here is a short peace I shot yesterday. Setting Natural, Nikon35mm on speedbooster. Edited and grading in PP CC.

• Here's a video I shot with the GH4, BMPCC, Sony A7s, and GoPro Hero 2. It's one of my proudest pieces of work since it's a collection of memories I caught of my girlfriend's and my adventures. Enjoy :)

• That is really nice, Cinemasteve.

• I made some samples to compare different modes in GH4. I compared 4k video, ETC mode, JPG and RAW.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54849358

1. 4k center crop

2. 4k 2x dig zoom downsampled to fullhd

3. ETC fullhd

4. best JPG center crop 1920x1080

5. RAW (ACR) center crop 1920x1080

I noticed that the sensor debayering ruins fine color detail even in RAW photo and levels the differences of different modes. GH4 4:2:0 4k video and ETC is very close to best camera JPG photo in 100% sensor readout (is the camera JPG 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 ?) . RAW photo is sharpest but not perfect.

If I use 4k/2x dig zoom I get a little sharper result that cropping 4k or using ETC.

I think that Samsung NX1 with 6.5k sensor debayering and downsampling is maybe far better than GH4 in 4k video colors. I think that even 100% RAW center crop is worse in GH4. We will see.

• I still only have a GH3. I'd love to be able to crop/zoom 4K source in a 1080p timeline. And, I really like the idea of being able to pull 8M stills from a 4K capture. But...I would really like to wait till we have 60p available in 4K.

I'm in the same boat. I love the improvements on the GH4... but the GH3 is great until we get quality 120fps 2k or 60fps 4K. Hell, I probably would have got a GH4 if the 96fps was as clear as the full quality 1080p. That was really the deal breaker for me.

• The upgrade was worth it IMHO. I sold my GH3 since I could never match it well to my GH2 (especially during interviews). The GH4 is easier to cut with. And the 96fps is totally usable in certain situations when used sparingly. And there's always the rental option when there's a need for higher framerates at higher resolutions. We rented a 7Q for our fs700 earlier this year specifically to take advantage of already available quality you've mentioned (plus a whole lot more). It's looked amazing, but the increased setup time during production and extra post hours were too much for everyday use (at least for our small 2-3 man crew).

• Here's a nice GH4 shot video. Looks good at night.

• Our visit to Norway in august 2014. Shot with Lumix GH4@ Olympus 12mm

• Wedding shot with GH4. It's not final and I'll have a different beginning edited as well as boosted mids and some desaturation next week. Juts wanted to post to show Gh4 just all around ROCKS! I have a short film coming soon that's NOT a wedding, so should be fun: