Personal View site logo
Official Low GOP topic, series 2
  • 1022 Replies sorted by
  • @PerryWilson no, its using more Q settings (and I havent released those WIP settings yet) - but I need to adjust and it could mean limiting a bit more... :-(
  • Nick, I hope you can find a way to do this without limiting.

Have you tried building a setting around 192M GOP1?

The reason I ask is 192M GOP1 in theory can offer 1MB i-frames @ 24FPS. This should probably be close to the max.

Of course, not to get you off track from maximizing 176M. I'm looking forward to your next 176M GOP1 version (more Q settings).
  • ME TOO!!!! even though I have no clue what "Q settings" is
  • I'm away this weekend in Paris filming so its not looking likely I'll have time to finish the latest patch till Sunday night.
    PS: Vitaliy will be glad to be rid of me :-)
  • Have a good shoot. Thanks again for the incredible work!
  • yeah man, good work, let us know how the footage looks
  • Yes, thanks Nick.
    Remember what happens in Paris, stays in Paris!
  • More test footage using Driftwood's original GOP1. Just amazing!
    Please excuse the shaky camera work. Didn't have my rig with me for this one.

• @bkmcwd @proaudio4 Ignore my previous concerns, I've just spent a few hours working with the footage I shot today with this 66M GOP3 AQ3 patch and all is good, very good. I also can see little point trying to squeeze more juice out of the I-Frame size either, it's not worth the effort as you won't be able to push it much higher than it is already. As it goes it's delivering a great bitrate and lovely looking streams under many different conditions/shots. The only thing to do is to kill that rogue P-frame, I'll try what @driftwood suggested to change with the encoder setting tomorrow, but I guess you will too.

I get what you're saying proaudio4 about pushing for a 192M GOP1 but on the downside of that is it may further limit the type of SD cards that can cope with it (and cause even more twitchy fear in those who point it at a very highly detailed scene for any length of time ;)), and after all this 176M GOP1 is sweet as as it is really (but yeah, you need a very good card to run it anyway, which is fair enough frankly). Also, diminishing returns, gilding the lily etc.
  • 176M GOP1 is a beast fills my SD Extreme 8 giggers in 4 mins lol...
  • @Stray if I remember I did a quick look at my old gop 3 132m and stuck 2 on 1080p encoder setting 1 and it worked. Best of luck getting your GOP3 patch fully stable - sounds brilliant and look forward to using it on my return.
  • Thanks Stray.

Also, you bring up a good point about "hanging on the edge" of being able to write to SDHC cards.
    Based on the small difference between GOP1 192M and GOP1 176M, the i-frame difference is a bit less than 10%,
    so maybe it's worth staying at 176M GOP1 and fine tuning for staibility at extremes.

Can the current 176M GOP1 withstand pappas death chart at SS 1/1600 and ISO3200? Anyone know?
    I'll be testing this tomorrow, but based on driftwood is still fine tuning it, it probably does not at this time.

• @driftwood thanks for the help, but this is bkmcwds patch not mine, its working really well only the P-Frame to do to it I reckon (but bkmcwd may have other plans). Have a good shoot mate.
  • @elementalracer

"just amazing" is correct. Thanks for sharing this.
    Also, is it just me, but even compressed vimeo of driftwoods GOP1 makes it look like it came from a much higher end camera.
    I think i'm becoming a firm believer in the visual difference and smooth frame transition that intraframe offers over long GOP.
    freaking love it!
    smooth-as-fuck is right!
  • "I think i'm becoming a firm believer in the visual difference and smooth frame transition that intraframe offers over long GOP."

haha, I'm getting there too working with this GOP 3 footage today, however I'm going to wait a while before really going for GOP 1, I need to overcome some personal concerns first (and it isn't just card/disk space related, I transcode or work mostly with exported still sequences anyway). I'm an old coder and systems designer so for me, although it is obviously working, making a codec built for long GOP run intra just... well.. it makes me itch frankly ;). I feel the same way about how it looks on vimeo too as it goes.
  • Stray,
    well understood.

I'm looking forward to checking out bkmcwd's 66M AQ3 GOP3.
    I've been busy and have not had a chance to try these new settings.
  • @proaudio @bkmcwd Woah, my bad, not paying attention, or more accurately not remembering http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/18257#Comment_18257 Soo.. although streamparser is not saying framerate is halved, maybe there is something else wrong. Yeah, there is, framerate is duff on the shots that exceed the max bit rate. Sooo.. it needs some serious alterations to the buffers or you up its max bitrate to 100-130Mbps. Christ I'm really sorry I missed that, but as an example a 31 second shot is actually only 21 seconds running at 23.976. er.. oops..
  • Stray,
    Sounds like it - as you mentioned Chis's post (and driftwoods feedback) regarding average bitrate exceeding max bitrate. Damn, maybe it's worth it to just find the sweet spot by raising the bitrate as you mentioned (100-130Mb/s).

bkmcwd, are you following this info?
  • @proaudio4 Yep, and quite a major one, most of my shots today were indoor and talking heads, the outdoor detailed shots which are the ones I just got onto working with properly are duff. I'm fixing/testing/rebuilding the patch now, because I WANT a GOP 3 AQ3 at a lower bitrate. If I have to I'll upshift and make an 88M AQ3 GOP3.
  • Yes!
    I'm with you on that Stray. Afterall, we were targeting 88M AQ3 a while back.
    It appears GOP3 will help us here.
  • I think its going to take quite a while but I've got nothing else to do for the next few days.
  • I hear you there.
    I'll be testing starting tomorrow myself.
    thank you!
  • GOP1 Intra 176M ver 3 'QuantMeBaby' patch. Plus 1080i60 GOP 1 working!!!
    Right off to Paris, Nuit Blanc time... and a break from here. I'm taking a few QP adjusted patches with me to film (including this one which improves the quality but may crash under very extreme conditions) over the weekend, so, hopefully will have some good footage to show here.
    We're pushing the boundaries now... onwards... Sleep well all! Back Sunday night.
    Driftwood 176M Intra GOP1 ver 3 (with Q adjustments) - setf.zip
    596B
  • @driftwood your the man.. gonna download now and test drive this baby. By the way the 2nd version was sweet each frame looks like a picture & and the motion is soo organic. Keep up the good work..
  • BEAST!!! my GF's gonna have I have to go testing :P planning a shoot sunday night just to test the setup... good luck on your shoot, look forward to seeing your footage
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions