Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic, series 2
  • 1022 Replies sorted by
  • @proaudio4
    When doing the test which applied stress to my patch super extremely now, the error came out...
    Can't this patch clear your extream stress test?
    Although I am going to improve again, please test with this current state... :-(
    Thank you!
    test.jpg
    1300 x 634 - 191K
  • download the original, because I dont have a pro account I can only do one HD a week...
  • @Stray
    Thanks for info.
    "Have you seen how low the framelimit is on Driftwoods 176M intra ?"
    Of course, I know!
    Also when I began to make AQ3, it started with low FL and QV=26 at first.
    However, since I wanted to make a multiple or more into one, I surely suffered troubles.
    I think that the problem which I have is being stabilized and being unable to produce super extreme stress... :-(

I also cannot anymore now, but... me too.
  • What do you guys do as a stress test? Please let me know so I can test the patches accordingly.
  • @sohus

Use stray's new extreme dense chart:
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/uploads/FileUpload/f4/72365bf882cfc8cf57d666c66081c0.png

Frame the chart
    Use fixed lighting (needed when comparing different setting files)
    High shutter speed: 1/1600
    High ISO: 3200
  • Hey - just want to let you know that your settings are great.
    So much better than the original GH2.
    I was shocked at first when all my footage started stuttering - but that was because i played it from the GH2 and not from my HDD.
    Will upload some footage in the near future ;)
    Keep up the great work
  • Do I print it or do you put it on a HD screen and shoot that?
  • I print my charts. Make sure to print at your printers highest DPI.
    Check and compare static shots on the chart.

Also, for a second test, pan across the chart.
    I have a motorized base where I can fix the speed control.
    This way I can compare how well each setting has with motion.
    Since the pan speed is fixed between different tests, it works great for
    comparing motion.
  • I work for Océ (part of Canon) in the printer division so I will print it in high res at work next week. We have professional graphic printers with insane DPI sizes so that must be possible.
  • @Stray

With regards to your last posts, what setting do you recommend? @cbrandin 66M?

I just want to settle for the best stable version without issues for some upcoming shoots. If I interpret your post in the right way, the lower bitrate low GOP settings are not recommended by you because of stability and stream issues. What about @Driftwood's GOP3 132M and GOP1 176M? Your insight is appreciated, I love your well documented posts.
  • Driftwood: I replaced my previous patch with your 176M GOP1 patch and I'm getting around 45m. I followed the settings you posted

[Settings]
    Version increment=1
    30min limit removal=Checked
    PAL<->NTSC Menu=Checked
    Video Bitrate 24H=176000000
    Video Bitrate 24L=154000000
    Video Bitrate FSH/SH=110000000
    Video Bitrate FH/H=55000000
    720p50 GOP Size=1
    1080i50 and 1080p24 GOP Size=1
    1080i60 GOP Size=1
    Encoder setting 1 720p=3
    Encoder setting 1 1080i/p=2
    Video buffer=0x3000000
    Video buffer 24p=0x3600000
    Initial quantizer=14
    Quantizer for 1080 modes=14
    1080p24 FB2=1084023
    60fps FB2=422406
    50fps FB2=494887
    1080p24 Frame Limit=6111808
    60fps Frame Limit=909629
    50fps Frame Limit=1156400

Do I need to change other settings with ptool?

What am I doing wrong?

• @sohus Yep, the cbrandin 66M and 44M are stable, as is his new max variation 66M patch. However, I did spend a lot of time, as have others, with Driftwoods 132M GOP3 and it is very stable. I haven't spent any amount of time at all shooting with/testing the 176M GOP1, and I don't think I'm likely too for a while yet (it is after all still being tweaked by Driftwood). But thats me, YMMV. Your best bet is to take the time shooting with all the stable patches, and also try to shoot scenes similar to your upcoming shoots. Check the footage out, particularly in post if you imagine you'll be doing at least some post work after the shoot. Then decide. Its impossible to make hard and fast recommendations as to what patch to use, we all have different eyes and different styles and workflows. I would be concerned about taking the 176M GOP1 out to a shoot as your only option, I think that would be madness at the moment, and I think Driftwood would agree. However maybe there are people here who have really shot with it, properly, who can vouch for it.

Edit : I've also been shooting with bkmcwds 66M GOP6 for some shots, but I mostly use the cbrandin 66M max variation patch with the AQ set to 3 at the moment. I do have an 88M GOP12 AQ2, but recent discoveries have raised concerns in me with it, so I'm going to look at it again properly tomorrow. It did pass all the usual tests, and real world shooting looked good, but still,.. I plan to look at it again. If only to see if it can be squeaked up to AQ3. If I wanted a GOP3 I'd always reach for the 132M at the moment.
  • where can I find the 132m GOP3 by driftwood, this website is a mess lol we should have one patch vault
  • There is indeed a patch vault where you can find 132M GOP3 and others.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/16603#Comment_16603
  • hey when i opened the 132 patch in that file it reads GOP6
  • Look carefully - that GOP6 is for 720P 60. 1080i50 and 1080p24 GOP Size=3.
  • Driftwood
    Your last 176M GOP1 v3 increased i-frames by 100K. Nice work.
    Also it passed Stray's extreme dense test chart.
    14-140 lens (140mm) f5.6, 1/1600 SS, ISO3200.
    Passed static and motion tests without error.

Most import, each frame looks like a jpeg.
    It plays back with a much better vibe and is felt like you're watching a series of pictures. More movie like for sure.

Can you squeeze another 100K out of it?

BTW, outstanding!
    176M GOP1 DRIFTWOOD v3 stray extreme.png
    1920 x 1080 - 144K
  • @proaudio4

Now I'm asking for a patch! Where's driftwood's 176M GOP1 v3?
  • @proaudio4 your right driftwoods 176 GOP1 v3 is insane tried it out and I was blown away, each frame is really like a picture. There is something about I-Frame motion and visually it's soo RED like, more like a real motion picture camera. For now that will be my go to patch, got a music video shoot next week that's what I'll be using..
  • OK guys here is lowlight test with three of driftwoods patches, all screen grabs off H.264 playback, no grades, no sharpening

1: 132mbit GOP3
    2: 176mnit GOP1 V3 (Quant Me Baby)
    3: 244mbit GOP1 (smooth as fuck)

IMO 244mbit GOP1 is the king, followed closely by the 132(havent done day tests, but Ive heard 132 is amazing... especially in the day... IDK what I-Frame size is but IDK 244 looks sooooooo good
    132mbit GOP3.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 1M
    176mbit GOP1.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 1M
    244mbit GOP1.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 1M
  • @PerryWilson great test by the way. They all look great IMO, but for some reason 176mb/s GOP1 v3 looks so organic to me I tried it out on my GH2 both day time & night time the still grabs that I'm viewing on my computer really looks like stills. That's just my opinion, but keep them coming.
  • what is I-Frame size and what is the up side to having larger I-Frames... man I hope driftwoods shoot is going good, and excited for him to get back at it... all we need is a good movie profile a good flat S-log profile
  • GOP1 Intra 176M ver 3 'QuantMeBaby' with Quantizer 14 producing 800K sized I-frame? Impressive spec. Hopefully the next PTool improves the stability.

How long can 16GB card record? 10 mins?

For taking film, GOP1 all the way. For taking paid event, GOP3. For personal work, GOP12.
  • @Stonebat that's what I'm talking about I'm with you on that one 176 GOP1 v3 for the win..
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions