Personal View site logo
Metabones lens speed booster adapter, focal reducer
  • 873 Replies sorted by
  • Speed Booster ULTRA

Sharper corners, less distortion, reduced vignetting

New optical design: advanced 5-element/4-group optical design incorporating ultra-high index tanatalum-based optical glass to achieve extraordinary optical performance with improved corner sharpness, distortion and reduced vignetting.

Like the revolutionary original Metabones Speed Booster announced in January 2013, the Speed Booster ULTRA has a magnification of 0.71x, and so it effectively reduces the crop factor of mirrorless cameras with DX-sized sensors, such as Sony E-mount and Fuji X-mount cameras, from 1.5x to 1.07x. However, the new ULTRA design makes very effective use of exotic materials at the furthest limit of glassmaking technology, and as a result is well corrected for use with virtually all fullframe SLR lenses regardless of exit pupil distance. Thus, the Speed Booster ULTRA performs extremely well with professional-grade f/2.8 zoom lenses such as the 24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 zooms by Canon and Nikon to produce 17-50mm f/2.0 and 50-142mm f/2.0 high-speed zooms, respectively. Similarly, high-speed fixed focal length lenses such as a 50mm f/1.2 will be transformed into a 35.5mm f/0.9 lens with excellent contrast and resolution from the center all the way to the edges of the image. (More information can be found in the press release here)

• Any word on when the EF to GH4 version is shipping?

Also, any word of a Nikon version with support for AF and IS?

• An order with Metabones last week hasn't shipped yet. I have sent several emails to Metabones using both info@metabones.com and support@metabones.com asking for an update and still not a single reply yet. Is this normal when dealing with them?

• Another test with speedbooster metabones nikon / MFT.

Sigma 35mm f1.4 art , simply amazing , maybe the best combo ever on GH4 ,

and Tokina 11-16 f2,8

• waiting for Speed Booster ULTRA ! LOL

• @valpopando Beautiful videos! Well-done!

• Just sharing an update on my order from well over a week ago. I have tried multiple times to contact Metabones on their various email addresses but have yet to receive a single reply or shipping details, so I will be cancelling my order through Paypal.

Hopefully this is just an isolated incident and others have better luck than I did.

• A rental house in my city has theirs in. They got it a few days ago.

• @cinemasteve87. thx mate @dial I brought mine on Marcotec website germany , 3 day and I got it

• Just received my FD to MFT Speed Booster, and right away the plastic ring covering the space around the glass element came off. This is supposed to happen?

• I sent email to Metabones about Minolta MD to Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster concerning the incompatibility issues.

They didn't reply. I guess they don't want my money.

• So I know that there's no Leica M to MFT speedbooster. But is there any way to get a speedbooster for Leica M lenses through adapters? More specifically, I wanted to see if it was possible to use a speedbooster on the SLR Magic 50mm T0.95 M Mount lens.

• Can I use GH4 with "Canon EF Lens to Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster" and Samyang lenses ( Samyang 50mm T1.5 Lens for Canon EF Mount ) ?

• @Panamedia No way to have a speed booster for Leica-M, the flange distance is too short. Leica-R, yes.

• @ Bebop

Yes you can. The 0.71x reduction would turn it into a 35mm ~T1.1.

• Is there a chance that they'd do an Ultra for m4/3 mount?

• has anybody here ever had problems with a contax zeiss 85/1,4 on the contax-mft speed booster? mine shows weird behaviour when mounted, the focus becomes stiff as in almost unusable. fyi: i have a rare mmg copy of the lens. thanks for your help!

• No problem here. I have an AEG, though.

• Hello, Here's some tests I've made using different EF lenses on my GH4 with the Metabones Speedbooster.

Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 :: Canon 24mm f/3.5 L II TS-E :: Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS USM :: Samyang 35mm T/1.5 :: Canon 35mm f/1.4 L :: Zeiss 50mm f/2 Makro-planar :: Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM :: Samyang 85mm T/1.5

Love Zeiss, 70-200 & Tokina for wide angle. Samyang 35 and 24-105 are very good.

• Anyone have any speculations about the crop factor of a GH4-specific variant Speedbooster, whether it'll be available in both standard and ULTRA variants, active EF right away, et cetera et cetera?

• @fosterchen I had the same thing happen when I got mine, and it continues to fall out. Very anoing.

• I actually just left it out, since it wasn't doing much anyways. But I've returned it already now.

• Reposting from another thread that can be deleted --

I bought a Nikon to MFT Metabones Speedbooster for the GH2, which served me quite well for a year, particularly with the remarkably good Sigma 18-35. The crop factor was 1.42x, which was just about perfect with the Sigma: any wider would have caused vignetting, as evidenced in the fact that I could only use it with the lens hood off.

Now that I'm using a GH4, I am still using this setup, but in UHD mode I'm getting a 1.7x crop, which is a little annoying to me. My Sigma 18-35 suddenly doesn't feel quite wide enough on the wide end for a walk-about lens, and I struggle to get good subject isolation in situations where it never used to be a problem.

Another annoyance is not having autofocus, or the possibility of image stabilization if I buy a VR Nikon lens in the future, due to the Nikon Speedboosters not having electronic contacts. I don't use autofocus in video, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable shooting stills if I had autofocus. I'd also feel more comfortable shooting video and stills beyond 85mm, if I had image stabilized lenses that are supported as such on my GH4.

Finally, around here everyone and their mom is using Canon. I'm mostly happy with my modest lens collection, but there are definitely times when I'd love to be able to throw someones' Canon 70-200mm f2.8 on my GH4.

To me, it seems like the best option at the moment is the Canon EF to BMCC-MFT Speedbooster. This has a 0.64x reduction, yielding a crop of 1.53x on the GH4 in UHD mode, which is damn near Super 35 -- perfect, in other words. It also inexplicably has electronic contacts (surprising, because the BMCC-MFT doesn't). This would mean that I get autofocus and image stabilization as an added benefit.

Finally, as far as I know, I could use a basic Nikon to Canon adapter ring to mount old Nikon AI/AI-s lenses (as well as newer Nikon glass with manual aperture rings, like my Rokinon Cine lenses) onto a Canon to BMCC-MFT Speedbooster, opening up the way for even more lens choices with a single Speedbooster.

I've read rumors about a GH4 specific Speedbooster. I also would happily spend the extra cash on an "Ultra" variant Speedbooster, if it yielded improve image quality. These are the main considerations that are holding me back from exchanging my Nikon-mount Sigma 18-35 for a Canon EF mount copy, and exchanging my Nikon to MFT Speedbooster for a Canon EF to BMCC Speedbooster.

Any thoughts on these questions would be very appreciated. I'm a little reluctant to sell my Sigma and Speedbooster, crippling my lens options for at least a week while I wait for Canon replacements to ship in... but overall, it seems like the best idea.

• From the link I provided above MB says the GH4 is not supported:

Autofocus EF-S lenses GH4 Lens correction such as peripheral shading, CA and distortion Focus confirmation "chip" (e.g. Dandelion) M42 screw mount adapters (see note 5) Stacking non-Metabones/non-Conurus mount adapters on top (see note 6 and list of lenses which require modification below.)

Isn't there an issue where the mechanical shutter can hit the rear of this adapter. Voldermort wrote something about it.

Also, before I bought my NikG to MFT SB, I asked MB if they were planning to develop one just for the GH4 and they replied in broken english that they already have one for the GH4, the same NikG to MFT model. So I guess those rumors are nothing but rumors?