Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • @Sangye

Interesting, thanks for the post ...

• Thanks @rNeil.

I've had good luck with iDynamic on the GH4. I would never use it on the GH2, because it seemed wildly unpredictable. But on the GH4, it consistently boosts dynamic range, and I feel that it lends a smoother roll-off on the highlights. This is all very subjective, and like you, I don't understand how it works or how it differs at the functional level from other in-camera settings that one might tweak. What I do know is that Cine-D with -5 contrast, and a -5 highlights / +5 shadows curve in-camera, looks "dead" and is difficult to grade... whereas pulling those settings a little back but applying iDynamic creates more useable dynamic range for post-production, without looking "dead".

• @Sangye

Interesting, noting you used iDynamic. Not been willing to try those mish-up settings out, as letting the cam's engineers do something I don't understand that can change on the fly isn't comforting to my brain. However, that is a nice looking grade you've got there. What do you think iDynamic gets that is past what other settings you control allow? Very curious. Nice look there.

Neil

• Trying out another lens on the GH4, in 4K:

• Shot an interview today on a fairly high-budget international doc project. Main camera was a C500, with a 70-200. 2nd camera was my GH4, with a Rokinon 85mm Cine + Speedbooster.

The GH4 really held its own. The C500 might be the best camera at the moment for documentary filmmaking, but the GH4 compliments it beautifully. It's the ideal B-camera for these kinds of shoots, and an ideal A-camera for many other kinds of shoots.

Can't share any footage, but here's a still that I did a quick and dirty color grade on.

The GH4 was set to Cine-D, -2, -5, -5, -2, 0, iDyn-High, +2 shadows / -2 highlights, to get as close to C-Log as possible. I was worried that I may have gone too flat, but it really grades nicely in my opinion.

P1010199.Still001 copy.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 1M
  • Well I guess it was just wishful thinking of @RRRoger

• @anti12 - we know about that one. I'm asking about a firmware announcement regarding the HDMI output of the camera, and where we might find it.

• In Europe the demand for the camera was 2,5 times higher than expected

Sometimes I ask myself if it is special mentally challenged people adoption program is in action in Panasonic.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/interview/20140919_667566.html

• RRRoger - can you give a link to the October announcement? Thanks

• Filmed a commercial a few weeks ago with GH4 + GH2. I actually think they work pretty well together. Hacked with MoonT8. If you can share this with as many people as you know, that would be awesome and appreciated.

• Panasonic recently announced their intention of a new firmware update in October. Perhaps, they are trying to do more than make it Shogun compatable thru the HDMI port?

I am still hoping for 120fps at 1080P, but even 720P 120 would be very useful.

• @ricker - to be fair, the community kind of decided Photokina would be the moment to announce the firmware upgrade we're all hoping for, not Panasonic. I think we should be looking for another firmware upgrade when the Atomos Shogun gets released, especially after the positive noises they've been making on their own forum regarding focusing on the A7s and the GH4

• Wow so their update, is not going to address the 10bit 422 output of 1080p25, or should I say lack of output currently. Lame.

• @mdfaisal, the card you mentioned should work fine and it's easy to test.

• I'd would appreciate internal 10-bit 422 in 4k with log. That would probably be higher bitrate too, probabaly smth like Prores.

• Source ??? :)

Fantazy :-)

• Fair enough :)
  • I'd be happy if they just sort out the 10bit hdmi problems come the 15th or whenever they release the firmware

Fantazy :-)

• I think the GH4 may have internal 10bit 4444, or 422 with the Log function. I'm not sure about having RAW.

• Anyone know about new firmware release date?

No. It'll be known 15th September.

• Anyone know about new firmware release date?

• Hi... I have rent GH4 but thats not include the SD Card. So in my tight budget can Sandisk SDHC Extreme 64GB Class 10 UHS-1 45MB/s will handle 4K recording at 100mbps ?

• Hey there, yesterday I shot some nightsky pictures and noticed some ugly bending and compression artifacts showing up on the display and viewfinder while I watched it. However, on my computer it's perfectly fine. Perhaps it's bad in camera playback compression or something? Does anyone have this same problem?