Personal View site logo
Official GH2 "Stalin" hack development topic
  • 939 Replies sorted by
  • I hear that : ).
  • @_gl

Something like more than 24 hours in a day :-)
  • V., what do you need to have more time? More donations?
  • That does make sense. Why waste manpower on updates on the Gh-2, when after 8 months they are putting out a GF-3. I guess those wonderful engineers are planning out our Gh-3s. What a strange difference between a 3+ year cycle with the Canon 5Ds and the 12 month or less cycle on a panny. When the new hack is done, I will finally get a GH-2. Thanks Vitaliy.
  • Well... the latest trend is frequent firmware updates. So let's keep the hope afloat!!! But hope can be pretty cruel.

I heard Fuk-U-Shima situation is whole lot worse. I don't blame commoners in Japan to survive. I'm sure GH2 firmware update is not in their high priority list.

Ok please hack GH2 asap. Thanks!
  • >If A77 supports 24/25p and 24Mbps on all video modes, what can they do? Release GH3 this summer? Wouldn't it be easier to release a new firmware?

They'll just ignore it :-) With 99% probability development team moved to new cameras.
    This is called capitalism, dude. They want to be such effective looking as they can (to bosses and shareholders, of course, not customers) :-)
  • Yeah rumors shit. Same shit. I don't even care about GF3, GP1, A77, NEX7, NX20/200, EP-3... or whatever.

Panasonic wouldn't release a new firmware unless they must. If A77 supports 24/25p and 24Mbps on all video modes, what can they do? Release GH3 this summer? Wouldn't it be easier to release a new firmware? My fingers are crossed as I will be more exciting about GH23 based on firmware 1.1.

Anyways... happy hacking. If busy, not a problem. Take your time. I will be happy as long as it's ready this year.
  • >I think they do care. Sony releasing NEX-C3 this week. GF3 next week.

They care only in marketing terms, not really.
    They need to segment their production as they learned it in university.
    Small->Larger->Large, No-Video->Bad Video->Good Video with manual control, you know.

>GH2's competitor is A77 coming next month. $1099 w/ a kit zoom.

A77 is not GH2 competitor. It's a Sony! (tm) :-) So, they sure make something wrong again (and I am not talking about wrong mount and wrong transparent mirror technology used, as it is default).

>Maybe GP1 to fight off NEX-7 this summer. Fight!!!

Rumors, rumors. Same shit.
    Going back in rumor mill A77 and NEX-7 must be available for many months already.
  • Oh really? Panasonic don't give shit about it?

I think they do care. Sony releasing NEX-C3 this week. GF3 next week. GH2's competitor is A77 coming next month. $1099 w/ a kit zoom. Maybe GP1 to fight off NEX-7 this summer. Fight!!!

• >Heck let's wait until Panasonic releases new GH2 firmware

I have big doubts that we'll see any firmware GH2 from Panasonic.
    I think that they don't give a shit about NEX-7 (as well as for all their own products :-) ).
  • Take your time. No hurry. My GH2 is taking a backseat after GH17 took over the mounting plate of my rig.

Heck let's wait until Panasonic releases new GH2 firmware. Sony NEX-7 is expected next month. It's about time for Panasonic to boost GH2.
  • Small status update. I am still working on reversing and ptool related code. All is going good.
    This thing requires time and I do not have many available, unfortunately.
  • >Very excited about this project, any news on the progress?

I am working on it. As soon as any meaningful (for public) news will be available, I'll post them here.
  • Very excited about this project, any news on the progress?
  • >Thanks Vitaliy. That is all we need to know.

This had been on EOSHD and 43rumors some time ago.
    You can find a link in this posts.
  • Thanks Vitaliy. That is all we need to know. Great job on the hacks this weekend. We all appreciate everything you do.
  • Excellent!!! As I have GH2 I'm very happy to wait. Such a great camera already!
  • >For the GH2 Panasonic has not released that file

As far as I remember, GH2 firmware leaked some time ago.
  • We all definitely appreciate the GH17. However, I still think the GH2 offers more. It will be perfect when it is hacked though.
  • I don't know. But I can wait longer for GH2 since I have GH17 in hand. :)
  • @Stonebat

Until they do that we won't see the hack right? I doubt anyone will be allowed to share the firmware that is out there right now.
  • I'm speculating that Panny will release new GH2 firmware (1.1???) when they release new m43 lenses unless each new lens has embedded firmware update for the body.
  • When and if we get to the point where a GH2 hack is ready will we need to obtain the original firmware file in order to use the hack? With all of the other hacks we have just downloaded the file from Panasonic and then modified it ourselves with Ptool.

For the GH2 Panasonic has not released that file and my understanding is that it is patented software. Will the firmware be shared for everyone to use or is that a no no?
  • @_gl Exactly - that would be the best option of all. For video work it's great to adjust iso on the fly particulatly as the GH2 is so low-noise. If it could do that AND go below ISO 160 that would be even better!
  • Are the fixed ISO steps a software limitation? I assume the sensor gain (which is what ISO is) can actually be adjusted in more steps? If yes it would be nice to have finer steps, adjustable on the wheel.

It's similar to Mark's request, but often you want a specific shutter speed _and_ aperature (to get a fixed depth-of-field), so adjusting ISO is the best exposure option. It would also allow a 'Shutter & Aperature' priority mode, where only the ISO is adjusted for auto-exposure (especially useful for timelapses). Even if it couldn't be done during recording, it would still be useful.