• 16 megapixel sensor
    • Phase detect auto-focus
    • 5.1inch Full HD screen
    • 4K video recording
    • Real-Time HDR video and stills
    • Waterproof to 1m
    • 142.0 x 72.5 x 8.1mm, 145g
  • 55 Replies sorted by
  • @markr041, I started wearing glasses in the last 12 months. A real pain to adjust between general viewing and removing glasses and viewing via a viewfinder, grrrr.

Pulling focus, above, very good. The S5 lens breathing is pronounced, nothing you can do about that, save resizing and keyframing scale to try and counter it visually, if desired. Curious if, say, the Sony 4K phone camera suffers similar pronounced lens breathing.

Not sure if the S5 camera allows for video shutter control. If not, perhaps adding an ND may prevent the camera automatically increasing shutter speed to compensate for strong daylight. The resulting staccato video may reduce some of the S5 (and other auto cameras/phone cameras) slight shimmering look in footage, such as the first 5 seconds of your Washington Square Park clip. Alternatively, what I think I may be seeing is the gimbal making micro adjustments to stabilise, and the rolling shutter, which appears to be quite a slower read in most lower cost 4K CMOS sensor devices, may be affecting the image. Or, there is fine focus adjustments happening and causing the said shimmer. Thinking too much mode, now set to off...

Impressive combo, the S5 and gimbal. Going to wait for something like the Sam S6 and review again. My current mobile is almost 4 years old and has a cracked screen, main function button rarely works (children playing games) so using the virtual button activated in the OS. Holding out until I absolutely need to replace. Keep up the good work with the 4K video phone camera. 4 years ago, I would not have thought of such a device as being available and reasonably affordable today.

• @WhiteRabbit, Thanks. You have a good eye.

Sometimes I used manual focus and sometimes not, which is when (sometimes) you may get the pulse. For manual focus you must start the recording, press where to focus and then it will lock the focus there. Interestingly with a soft touch on the gimbal it has no effect on stability. You can do focus "pulls" that way while shooting too. It is clear for most shots one wants to invoke manual.

A while ago I shot this 4K test video (on a tripod), assessing the autofocus and manual focus and trying focus pulls. The description under the video at the Youtube site describes the test sequence. It did ok:

• @markr041, thanks for posting the 3-Axis stabilised clips above.

I thought I was seeing a few micro jitters slip through, however, upon reviewing the Washington Square Park clip, I started to think again. Have I been seeing the effect of lens breathing as the S5 occasionally changes focus during it's search for a focus reference point? For example, at 1:24, 3:30 and 3.42, is that the effect of lens breathing of the S5 in auto focus mode? Are you shooting in auto focus mode or manual focus mode? I recall reading (a long time ago) that you can set the S5 to manual focus mode, however, it was cumbersome to change the focus point by touching relevant part of the LCD while recording. With a gimbal, not sure if that makes the manual focus process easier or interferes with stabilisation...

Really amazing what you're producing with the S5. Well done.

• More experimentation with the 3-axis gimbal. Following people, following action - and a circle-around a playing pianist in Washington Square Park, NYC.

• Moving through people and tracking a person at a street fair with the S5 on a digital stabilizer:

• Here you go: the Galaxy S5 on a 3-axis digital stabilizer (Ikan X3). No tripod, no monopod, just one hand. Balancing is automatic (3 seconds):

The 4K video:

• @markr041

Good luck with a tiny stabiliser for a tiny camera.

I do believe a technology will arrive. When that day comes, we'll look on current offerings as we do on cures for baldness.

• @derek, I observed a comparison video and agree, the Sony did not appeal to me, other than the internal stabilisation feature at 4K. Can't really comment if the Sony stabilisation at 4K is any good, I didn't like the footage to begin with. Thanks for confirming the Sony model. New high end phone off the radar for now.

@markr041, agree. Even on a tripod, the camera clamp needs to be secure, wind appeared problematic in some instances of other shooters sample footage observed, kind of defeats the purpose of convenient device, solid tripod and clamp, IMO. Gazercam looks great. I had alredy observed the product specs of the Ikan X3. Gazercam handle/tripod base, looks better. I might hold out until the next gen Samsung and review again. Great footage, Mark. best regards,

• It is just not possible to take watcheable 4K video without stabilizing on site using a cellphone. It is too light, and it is impossible to hold steady while looking at the screen.

But using a tripod mostly reduces the main attraction of shooting 4K using a smartphone - easy portability. It is a shame, as I think the Samsung 4K video, when jitters are avoided on site, is pretty good, in all but the dimmest of environments.

This stabilizing device, which looks to be reasonably priced, may be the answer:

http://gazercam.com/

A handheld, electronic stabilizer for smartphones that auto-adjusts. We will see.

• Sony Z2 video 4k is Ugly and soft.

• Mark, remarkable! You managed to prevent the suffering of micro jitters, spoiling other shooter's footage, having pronounced jello. I had warp stabilised sample source test 4K footage I downloaded some time ago, and that solved a lot of the problems, yet time consuming to process at 4K, ouch! Securing the phone on a tripod seems a must, and one of the worst effects is wind causing micro jitters to lovely footage. You prevented that. The Sony has stabilisation at 4K? I may have that wrong. Sony image is different, some like it more, other likes the S5. To each their own. I decided to wait and see, the S5 or next version is on the radar. Thanks for the sample videos.

• 4K Video shot indoors in successively dimmer surroundings: From a reasonably lit library reading room, to windowless library rooms, to a dark window-lit dining hall, and finally to a windowless library illuminated by translucent marble and kept dim so that the marble shines, relatively. This last setting shows the limits of the Samsung.

Each building is preceded by outside shots so that the contrast, if any, of color and resolution can be easily made with the indoors shots by space.

All shots used a miniature tripod to prevent shake.

Video capture starts recording with just tap of the video button in the camera shooting mode. The same button that switches to the video mode also starts the video recording, so you don't have to worry about missing a thing. In the normal capture modes, the S5 produces excellent videos in both UHD and Full HD resolutions. The Full HD videos are very pleasing when played back on the phone or a computer, with smooth playback and sharp video. Video stabilization is available for 1080p and lower resolution settings, as well as some slow motion video options.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/samsung/galaxy-s5/samsung-galaxy-s5-review.html

bird2.jpg
    800 x 1259 - 143K
  • Galaxy S5 4K Video with Tripod

• Use this S5 to control gh4 of start, stop, zoom in ..and both together shooting 4 k but how or could be?

• Cambridge, UK in 4K:

• Another stabilized 4K video:

Accordion playing, jugglers, a carousel, bowling, chess, a foot-model shoot, a jazz band, diners.

Select 2160 for best viewing on any screen.