Personal View site logo
Samsung galaxy S5
  • 55 Replies sorted by
  • As soon as Samsung will publish the codes, one will can go with compiling and improve phone camera performance of the S5

Usually companies never publish source files that have any value. They just compile this modules or drivers, and never publish any sources of applications.

• 4K Galaxy NOTE 3 V.S. Canon 5D Mark III – Video Comparison:

(I posted this here despite the fact that a Galaxy Note III was used in the comparison, not a Galaxy S5, because I think the camera of the S5 is the same. I might be wrong, though.)

• I think the S5 has a different sensor.

• Most probably different is all camera module :-)

• One obvious issue in using the Galaxy S 5 as a 4K camcorder is the lack of in-camera stabilization. But 4K gives you a lot of leeway in editing, including using software stabilization. Here is a 4K video stabilized using the plug-in in Sony Vegas Pro 13 applied to each clip:

Here is the original video that was posted above prior to stabilizing in post:

One obvious flaw is that in a scene with a wind-waving branch, the software algorithm tries to de-shake the branch and therefore causes the background to shake! Otherwise, the software appears to do a pretty good job without apparent resolution loss viewed at 1080.

• Another stabilized 4K video:

Accordion playing, jugglers, a carousel, bowling, chess, a foot-model shoot, a jazz band, diners.

Select 2160 for best viewing on any screen.

• Cambridge, UK in 4K:

• Use this S5 to control gh4 of start, stop, zoom in ..and both together shooting 4 k but how or could be?

• Galaxy S5 4K Video with Tripod

Video capture starts recording with just tap of the video button in the camera shooting mode. The same button that switches to the video mode also starts the video recording, so you don't have to worry about missing a thing. In the normal capture modes, the S5 produces excellent videos in both UHD and Full HD resolutions. The Full HD videos are very pleasing when played back on the phone or a computer, with smooth playback and sharp video. Video stabilization is available for 1080p and lower resolution settings, as well as some slow motion video options.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/samsung/galaxy-s5/samsung-galaxy-s5-review.html

bird2.jpg
    800 x 1259 - 143K
  • 4K Video shot indoors in successively dimmer surroundings: From a reasonably lit library reading room, to windowless library rooms, to a dark window-lit dining hall, and finally to a windowless library illuminated by translucent marble and kept dim so that the marble shines, relatively. This last setting shows the limits of the Samsung.

Each building is preceded by outside shots so that the contrast, if any, of color and resolution can be easily made with the indoors shots by space.

All shots used a miniature tripod to prevent shake.

• Mark, remarkable! You managed to prevent the suffering of micro jitters, spoiling other shooter's footage, having pronounced jello. I had warp stabilised sample source test 4K footage I downloaded some time ago, and that solved a lot of the problems, yet time consuming to process at 4K, ouch! Securing the phone on a tripod seems a must, and one of the worst effects is wind causing micro jitters to lovely footage. You prevented that. The Sony has stabilisation at 4K? I may have that wrong. Sony image is different, some like it more, other likes the S5. To each their own. I decided to wait and see, the S5 or next version is on the radar. Thanks for the sample videos.

• Sony Z2 video 4k is Ugly and soft.

• It is just not possible to take watcheable 4K video without stabilizing on site using a cellphone. It is too light, and it is impossible to hold steady while looking at the screen.

But using a tripod mostly reduces the main attraction of shooting 4K using a smartphone - easy portability. It is a shame, as I think the Samsung 4K video, when jitters are avoided on site, is pretty good, in all but the dimmest of environments.

This stabilizing device, which looks to be reasonably priced, may be the answer:

http://gazercam.com/

A handheld, electronic stabilizer for smartphones that auto-adjusts. We will see.

• @derek, I observed a comparison video and agree, the Sony did not appeal to me, other than the internal stabilisation feature at 4K. Can't really comment if the Sony stabilisation at 4K is any good, I didn't like the footage to begin with. Thanks for confirming the Sony model. New high end phone off the radar for now.

@markr041, agree. Even on a tripod, the camera clamp needs to be secure, wind appeared problematic in some instances of other shooters sample footage observed, kind of defeats the purpose of convenient device, solid tripod and clamp, IMO. Gazercam looks great. I had alredy observed the product specs of the Ikan X3. Gazercam handle/tripod base, looks better. I might hold out until the next gen Samsung and review again. Great footage, Mark. best regards,

• @markr041

Good luck with a tiny stabiliser for a tiny camera.

I do believe a technology will arrive. When that day comes, we'll look on current offerings as we do on cures for baldness.

• Here you go: the Galaxy S5 on a 3-axis digital stabilizer (Ikan X3). No tripod, no monopod, just one hand. Balancing is automatic (3 seconds):

The 4K video:

• Moving through people and tracking a person at a street fair with the S5 on a digital stabilizer:

• More experimentation with the 3-axis gimbal. Following people, following action - and a circle-around a playing pianist in Washington Square Park, NYC.