Personal View site logo
Driftwood Cluster X series 3:│moon T7│ЅріzZ T6│Nebula T7│Drewnet T9│
  • 1811 Replies sorted by
  • @sam, this topic got lost a long time ago haha

• This grading motion picture cinematic look whatsoever talk is going nowhere. It's somewhat subjektive and should not be discussed in this topic…

• @jpbturbo: As I wrote already, I did the grading process onto the Vimeo converted hd.mp4 file, not the original one!!! Download the same file and post your grading here, then let's see if it has any kind of a motion picture analogy.

• @producer. No, the highlights look poorly colored on the BMPCC shot and the saturation looks strange.

There are some odd color tones going on in everything that you grade, it looks like magic bullet gone wrong.

• Where can one find this plugin? I'd like to try it. Thanks

• @sleepy32: Ha?!?!?!? Actually the 1st BMPCC looks drastically sharper, and of course thinner - that's what you mean, I'm sure (typical for BMPCC). Well, that's what was in the original source, what can I do?!? There is a sand on the 1st picture - very fine sand. While there is a coarse soil dry ground on the 2nd. Please, judge and compare objectively!

• @producer, No. The first frame for some reason seems softer

• @crowbar: Ok, here it is:

P.S.: Just in addition few hours after this upload - accidentally I've found a frame from "2 Guns" (Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg). The tones, nuances and the general look and feel of my grading is very close to the movie.

You can easily suppose that the both frames are from the same movie, can't you?

ZZZZZZA.mp4_20140528_091625.198.jpg
    1280 x 544 - 204K
    2 Guns Trailer (2013) HD [CinemaSauce.com]_(1080p).mp4_20131104_124927.142.jpg
    1920 x 804 - 133K
  • @crowbar: Ok, no problem, I will spent few minutes soon for grading the BMPCC scenes from your video.

Telling you in advance that the settings of my FilmVision Pro developing plug-in applied for GH2 look more than terrible on BMPCC!!!

Let's not change the topic, but I did very fast grading on an ungraded Sony a6000 clip and the results simply shocked me - I've never supposed that a6000 is more than amazing camera for video grading, even that it's only 8-bit! Just fantastic!!! With the right vintage lens this camera can give very cinematic motion picture. And after an easy grading the result can be extremely amazing!

Just compare below. GH2/3 (not sure even about GH4) can't even dream of such a look and grading:

• @producer, I like very much what you did to the GH2 clips and yes more cinematic! Very nice to see that the hacked GH2 can be be pushed to create such artistic looks with the right knowhow and software. Would be interesting to see the same grade on several of the BMPCC raw clips for comparison. Anyhow, I guess I've been trying to grade more toward what my eyes saw in reality - white sand, tanned Asian skin with reddish, brown tones etc. Think I first need to become proficient in such basic skill before moving onto more such artistic looks but yes now what was that software you used! LOL Not wanting to get too far off topic with color grading talk but thanks for showing how flexible and cinematic the GH2 hacked footage can be!

• Ok, I did some grading test, keep in mind that I used the HD MP4 video, not the original MOV. I used only GH2 raw clips! So the quality is smashed, but the question is about the look which is much more cinematic in my opinion:

• @ Producer: hi, hey finally had a chance to make a version of the Moon T7 and BMPCC footage comparison with ungraded/graded clips - they appear in the 2nd part here. I just re-graded the clips as of May 27. I realize more and more that not having a professional, calibrated monitor is a real disadvantage - what I see in the NLE turns out very different once exported and then even more once uploaded to Vimeo - has anyone else noticed that Vimeo colors are more reddish/Magenta than what is displayed on your monitor before upload? Plus the Vimeo version looks darker than original. I have grown to like more and more the BMPCC image while still appreciating the hacked GH2 high bit rate image and easier workflow. And now with his own graded example of several of these clips, Producer shows in the next post how cinematic the hacked GH2 can be when graded for such looks.

• moon T7 :)

• @crowbar and @BurnetRhoades Yeah the bmpcc did look to have a softer look while the gh2 is extremely sharp which is good for nature but bad for people. My main complaint of the entire GH1,2,3,4 line is DYNAMIC RANGE! I find it pretty hideous and it seems like my damn galaxy s5 cell phone has better dynamic range. And constantly filming in the rain-forest dynamic range is a MUST! Maybe gh5?

• I did some tests with Moon T7 recently, shooting some nature stuff at 30fps and 24 fps. (I used the patch with ran at the rounded-up frame rates, not the 23.97 or 29.97 rates.) I have a small problem.

When I view the footage in Premiere pro, the 24fps looks fine. But the 30fps seems to jitter up and down, as though every other frame was one pixel higher or lower.

Has anyone else seen this? Is this just an artifact of PP playing the file, and will it render without jitter?

• Hopefully @Driftwood work with the GH4 will improve things because right now the codec is quite harsh in how it deals with highlights, compared with the GH2. They tend to clip out in a very ugly way by comparison to the GH2.

• @TATZU - Wow, just viewed several of your nature films - very beautiful. Yes I think the GH4 with 4K will excell for you in nature films with all the extra detail. I know 4K detail/sharpness is not everything but it would certainly be better than the BMPCC for nature films where you want to capture with great clarity. I'm sure the hacked GH2 would also be better for nature films than the BMPCC although their 4K cameras are another story.... My comparison above between hacked GH2 and BMPCC was perhaps not fair to the BMPCC because I am new at grading such flat filmlog and had a bit of trouble with the skin tones. I received one Vimeo comment that my "color correction" was terrible but the person had not uploaded one video. Regardless, how we learn is to listen to all the comments and make of them what we will, there is always room for improvment. Back to GH2 vs BMPCC - there is a flattering, organic look to Blackmagic footage when filming persons and some filmmakers will always prefer that look to the GH cameras. I like the idea of bringing the right tool to the job and the GH2, GH3 and GH4 are a hell of a lot easier to use than any Blackmagic camera!

• @crowbar you got a gh4? LUCKY! Me wants one i'm on O'ahu you can see some my films https://www.youtube.com/user/TatzuFilms

• Well yes I might do a version with the GH2/BMPCC ungraded clips back to back with the graded but right now I am obsessed with my new GH4, having had one day of shooting that needs to be attended to. I will be preoccupied with that first day's shooting then try to do as you ask!

• @crowbar: Would you upload the original video before the color grading?

• This is a comparison between the GH2 Moon T7 and the BMPCC. Yes it would have been better to alternate the two cameras clip by clip but that is another project that I may not do. Instead the first segment is the GH2 and then the BMPCC. I just wanted a cohesive edit where the difficulty of matching the color grade would not be an issue. Bottom line - the GH2 Moon T7 hack just rocks! By the way, I notice that viewing the video in the small, little screen is no good so rather view it on Vimeo in full screen please. I am open to your comments and suggestions for improvement. Aloha!

• @WarLightUK Thank You So Much It Works AMAZING! FINALLY! Totally worth the measly $20.00

• @Tatzu Try Mirillis Splash Pro... It's not free but got 30 days free trial... Plays GH2 files straight out of the camera in real time with all the bit rate info...

• @tuxn Can you clarify a bit?

• What mode are you in (24P, 25P, 30P, 50P, 60P, 50i, 60, VMM) when you get an error?
    • Does it fail to record at all, record for a few sessions or does it simply fail to span? To clarify, failing to span means that it records one file about 4GB in size and then stops.
    • What is the exact nature of the error (stops recording or gives an error message or camera locks up)?
    • Which capacity of the SanDisk Pro 95 MB/s card are you using?
  • Getting "my card isn't fast enough" when im use the Moon T7 hack, woks fine in Cinema 24P and im using SANDISK PRO 95/mb sec

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters