Personal View site logo
Driftwood Cluster X series 3:│moon T7│ЅріzZ T6│Nebula T7│Drewnet T9│
  • 1811 Replies sorted by
  • @miked Thanks! I haven't seen them yet, but I guess one or a few of the guys grew up around here. Or maybe people I know, know them from ECU..either way, there's a lot of local love for them.

• shamb Thank you so much. But for footagens with low lights? May I use only the 'low contrast filter'? Regards.

• @paulo It depends on what you are going for.

The Tiffen low contrast filter does what it says it will, but how much you'll like it depends partly on how consistent your lighting will be and how sharp vs. soft you prefer your footage.

If you prefer your footage a little softer, it can definitely help a bit in a lot of lower light situations, provided you have enough light to keep much of the frame properly exposed to begin with. Remember, the filter is spreading light from the brighter parts to the darker parts, so if you're underexposed across the board, you're just going to end up with a poorly defined mess. That probably goes without saying, but I figured it's best to be clear. :)

Anyway, I found that the upper limit of sharpness that could be achieved when using the filters was lower than without them, but that also meant that it was easier to achieve a pleasant softness when called for.

The filters meant that I had to pay more attention to halation, flares and veiling than I did without them but were often quite useful. I found I used them a lot more when shooting people than when just shooting landscapes and exteriors where I wanted more detail.

I hope that helps somewhat.

Here are some screenshots I posted a while back using various Tiffen Ultra Contrast filter options to shoot just a landscape - I'll see if I can find the ones with my face.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/70232#Comment_70232

EDIT: Just found the ones with my face. Please excuse the rapidly changing lighting in them - but they are certainly a good illustration of why you don't always want the sharpest image. ;)

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/62717#Comment_62717

• Thepalalias - thanks again! Regards.

• Andi68, please wich 'cluster x' and lenses are you using on video 'flycam nano...vegas'? Moon? Thanks.

• On THe Majority Of My CLips Straight Off the Camera With Moont7 The Playback Is Always Laggy like buffering etc. Anybody Know Of A VIdeo PLayer That Can Play These Back In Real Time? I've Tried VLC and WMP

• @ TATZU

Movist

• @Azo i only have a windows computer?...

• A little 'on the fly' fun at the park. Spizz T6, 24p, various shutter speeds.

• Today I have got a malfunction with GH2 (Drewnet T9 hacked). I do not know what this might be! After reincerting the batery it`s all gone and I could shoot an event for 2 hours in a row.

• moon T7 L :)

• Getting "my card isn't fast enough" when im use the Moon T7 hack, woks fine in Cinema 24P and im using SANDISK PRO 95/mb sec

• @tuxn Can you clarify a bit?

• What mode are you in (24P, 25P, 30P, 50P, 60P, 50i, 60, VMM) when you get an error?
    • Does it fail to record at all, record for a few sessions or does it simply fail to span? To clarify, failing to span means that it records one file about 4GB in size and then stops.
    • What is the exact nature of the error (stops recording or gives an error message or camera locks up)?
    • Which capacity of the SanDisk Pro 95 MB/s card are you using?
  • @Tatzu Try Mirillis Splash Pro... It's not free but got 30 days free trial... Plays GH2 files straight out of the camera in real time with all the bit rate info...

• @WarLightUK Thank You So Much It Works AMAZING! FINALLY! Totally worth the measly $20.00

• This is a comparison between the GH2 Moon T7 and the BMPCC. Yes it would have been better to alternate the two cameras clip by clip but that is another project that I may not do. Instead the first segment is the GH2 and then the BMPCC. I just wanted a cohesive edit where the difficulty of matching the color grade would not be an issue. Bottom line - the GH2 Moon T7 hack just rocks! By the way, I notice that viewing the video in the small, little screen is no good so rather view it on Vimeo in full screen please. I am open to your comments and suggestions for improvement. Aloha!

• @crowbar: Would you upload the original video before the color grading?

• Well yes I might do a version with the GH2/BMPCC ungraded clips back to back with the graded but right now I am obsessed with my new GH4, having had one day of shooting that needs to be attended to. I will be preoccupied with that first day's shooting then try to do as you ask!

• @crowbar you got a gh4? LUCKY! Me wants one i'm on O'ahu you can see some my films https://www.youtube.com/user/TatzuFilms

• @TATZU - Wow, just viewed several of your nature films - very beautiful. Yes I think the GH4 with 4K will excell for you in nature films with all the extra detail. I know 4K detail/sharpness is not everything but it would certainly be better than the BMPCC for nature films where you want to capture with great clarity. I'm sure the hacked GH2 would also be better for nature films than the BMPCC although their 4K cameras are another story.... My comparison above between hacked GH2 and BMPCC was perhaps not fair to the BMPCC because I am new at grading such flat filmlog and had a bit of trouble with the skin tones. I received one Vimeo comment that my "color correction" was terrible but the person had not uploaded one video. Regardless, how we learn is to listen to all the comments and make of them what we will, there is always room for improvment. Back to GH2 vs BMPCC - there is a flattering, organic look to Blackmagic footage when filming persons and some filmmakers will always prefer that look to the GH cameras. I like the idea of bringing the right tool to the job and the GH2, GH3 and GH4 are a hell of a lot easier to use than any Blackmagic camera!

• Hopefully @Driftwood work with the GH4 will improve things because right now the codec is quite harsh in how it deals with highlights, compared with the GH2. They tend to clip out in a very ugly way by comparison to the GH2.

• I did some tests with Moon T7 recently, shooting some nature stuff at 30fps and 24 fps. (I used the patch with ran at the rounded-up frame rates, not the 23.97 or 29.97 rates.) I have a small problem.

When I view the footage in Premiere pro, the 24fps looks fine. But the 30fps seems to jitter up and down, as though every other frame was one pixel higher or lower.

Has anyone else seen this? Is this just an artifact of PP playing the file, and will it render without jitter?

• @crowbar and @BurnetRhoades Yeah the bmpcc did look to have a softer look while the gh2 is extremely sharp which is good for nature but bad for people. My main complaint of the entire GH1,2,3,4 line is DYNAMIC RANGE! I find it pretty hideous and it seems like my damn galaxy s5 cell phone has better dynamic range. And constantly filming in the rain-forest dynamic range is a MUST! Maybe gh5?

• moon T7 :)

• @ Producer: hi, hey finally had a chance to make a version of the Moon T7 and BMPCC footage comparison with ungraded/graded clips - they appear in the 2nd part here. I just re-graded the clips as of May 27. I realize more and more that not having a professional, calibrated monitor is a real disadvantage - what I see in the NLE turns out very different once exported and then even more once uploaded to Vimeo - has anyone else noticed that Vimeo colors are more reddish/Magenta than what is displayed on your monitor before upload? Plus the Vimeo version looks darker than original. I have grown to like more and more the BMPCC image while still appreciating the hacked GH2 high bit rate image and easier workflow. And now with his own graded example of several of these clips, Producer shows in the next post how cinematic the hacked GH2 can be when graded for such looks.

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters