Personal View site logo
GH4 Issues topic
  • 300 Replies sorted by
  • Whatever the problems may be with audio sync at 24fps on Vimeo and Youtube, I don't think the problem is with the camera. I tested with my Rode Video Mic and there was no problem using VLC player or QT player.

• @thoughts2uk - I agree that the issue of not outputting 25p or 30p properly over hdmi is ridiculous. I can only hope we get a firmware fix for it asap so we can take full advantage of the 10bit HDMI output. I wonder if Nick Driftwood or Vitaliy would be in a position to ask Panasonic on our behalf?

• http://forum.atomos.com/showthread.php?52685-GH4-and-Ninja-Blade-Few-recording-formats-available-to-be-read-by-Blade

More from atomos forum on HDMI output problems with the GH4. If you work your way through this topic, you'll find confirmation from Panasonic that the GH4 does NOT output 25fps or 30p over HDMI - they all output at 50 or 60hz, which IMHO is plain stupid. There is a workaround using the ninjas but it means no simultaneous internal recording of any quality on the camera. I wonder if this is fixable via firmware?

• Just discovered an issue with spanning clips. Shooting 1920x1080 25P 100mbs in MOV format, the last frame of the clip has audio missing. Video and timecode are continuous and join perfectly, but the last frame of each spanned clip is silent More testing required; very annoying.

• Followup: The audio frame missing issue seems to be in FCPX. Not a camera problem. I need to find the best way to join files as Clipwrap only works on AVCHD files.

• @mrbill

More from atomos forum on HDMI output problems with the GH4. If you work your way through this topic, you'll find confirmation from Panasonic that the GH4 does NOT output 25fps or 30p over HDMI - they all output at 50 or 60hz, which IMHO is plain stupid.

HDMI is a consumer interface designed for HDTV's. Since neolithic times, televisions have only supported 60fps on NTSC or 50fps on PAL systems, initially in interlaced mode. Non-interlaced 50p and 60p formats were added with the introduction of LCD TV's, but 25p and 30p were not granted their own native modes, they were just piggy-backed onto the existing 50i and 60i interlaced modes. Support for 24p was added later as an extra special favor for Blu-ray players.

The best Panasonic could do with the GH4's HDMI would be to output 25psf and 30psf over 50i and 60i video streams.

• Non-interlaced 50p and 60p formats were added with the introduction of LCD TV's, but 25p and 30p were not granted their own native modes, they were just piggy-backed onto the existing 50i and 60i interlaced modes. Support for 24p was added later as an extra special favor for Blu-ray players.

And not sure that it is true. As I had one of the early HDMI sets and it clearly has dedicated 25p and 30p modes. As far as I remember HDMI specification they were present in it.

• Joining spanned MOV files on Mac OSX to eliminate missing audio problem in FCPX. Solution: Open first file in Quicktime Player X, select menu item 'Edit > add clip to end' and select second clip of spanned clips. Keep adding until all segments are complete. Choose 'File > export 1080P (or format of your choosing) give it a new name and save. Now you have one large file to import into FCPX.

• Ok, goofy inquiry. Once every 30 times or so my GH4 will not turn on when I flip the on switch. I turn it back to off - and on again - it turns on fine. Works fine after that. But this is still happening even as recent as today. Anyone have this little worrisome quirk? (Wondering if I should have it replaced since it's so new... or what.) Maybe nothing...thought it would be at least smart to ask you guys.

Thanks in advance.

• @maddog15 ... Sounds like there's a defective connection in your switch ... I think I'd have that looked at. It isn't going to get better shall we say?

• @maddog15 It's probably unrelated but that was also a symptom of the GH3 sleep mode issue. You can test for it by pressing the shutter button a few times next it occurs. If it doesn't wake up then your problem lies elsewhere.

• I have noticed that while in tracking focus mode, while tracking, the focus tracking box visible in the viewfinder will sometimes reduce it's horizontal width by ~half. The vertical size is unchanged. I just reset the focus tracking and it seems fine.

• When using 4K Creative Movie Mode, the GH4 will always default to the 1080p60 200 All-I movie capture setting when switching back to PASM photo mode. I prefer the 1080p60 100 movie capture setting when in PASM photo mode.

The only way I have found to prevent this is to use a Custom setting on the dial for the 4K setting. When switching back to PASM photo mode from the Custom setting, the camera remembers to switch back to 1080p60 100 movie capture setting.

• @fahrenheit You're comment may have some truth to it. Once this morning I flipped the on switch - and camera didn't turn on. I remembered your comment. So instead of turning it off then on again, I half pressed the shutter button (as if to try to focus) and boom the camera "woke up". Strange. Camera works perfectly. When the glitch occurs (about 1 out of 40-50ish times) it's never taken multiple on/off trials to make it turn on. Just one on/off and it's on. Every time. Must be a bug that a firmware update will resolve?

Thanks all for your input.

• @maddog15:

Maybe it only occurs if you power it down when it´s in sleep mode already (as it´s maybe restoring the last state it was into). You can try it out - Altough if you know that it´s sleeping, not a problem at all any more ^^.

LG

• Camera operation freezes when fast-forwarding 4K footage in playback mode, requiring removal of battery to reset. Using Transcend 128gb U3 card. Perhaps a reason why 64gb cards are listed as maximum supported capacity?

• Joining spanned MOV files on Mac OSX to eliminate missing audio problem in FCPX. Followup: After some testing it appears to be a FCPX issue when the files are copied to FCPX library. The solution I posted earlier about adding clips together in Quicktime X caused my 25fps footage to export at 30fps. There are no export options to change this. My new method is to copy the clips to a drive and import into FCPX and choose 'leave files in place' in the import options. I then create a compound clip in FCPX to have one file to edit with.

• I emailed Panasonic UK yesterday re-the 1080 50p/60p output from the GH4's hdmi port, and got a phone call today from one of their reps. I explained those of us who aren't delivering at 24p would like 1080 25p/30p framerates (or at least 50i/60i fr) so we can record 4k internally and useable 10bit 422 1080p to an external recorder simultaneously. I suggest those of us who are desperate for this to be featured as a firmware upgrade contact your national Panasonic website - they appear to be very responsive. The rep even asked what forums they should be looking at to take stock of user opinion.

• @mrbill: I hope you told him to look here (as there are also always updates according issues). ^^

• @mrbill I am in the UK as well and would definitely like to see a firmware update for this too. I really feel we were promised 25p out from this camera so it would hook it up to a Ninja and record 1080 25p 10bit 422. Here is a link to the Atomos forum - http://forum.atomos.com/showthread.php?52726-Panasonic-GH4-Working-Configurations-Official-Community-Thread. When I hook the GH4 up to an Alphatron EVF it tells me the output from the camera is 50p.

• An annoying thing is that when in C1, C2, etc if you make a change in iris, WB, shutter or ISO, when you switch off and on again the camera doesn't keep those settings

• I would like to see also audio level adjustment assign to a function button.

• @edgenumbers - yep - that's what is being widely reported. Let's see if lobbying Panasonic will help..

• @gameroja you may know this, but if not, audio levels are available from the rear LCD, in the fly-out movie tab on the right side of the screen. It's a permanent soft function button.