Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • Does anyone know if 180 degree shutter is actually 180 (1/48 @ 24p) or is 1/50?

• @hammyuk ETC mode doesn't do anything in 4K since 4K is already using 1:1 pixels.

• has anyone uploaded any gh4 footage? Id like to try to see how well it does in adobe pr. and other tests.

someone let me know. Thanks.

• @jclmedia Huhhh... Quite a few on this thread, You Tube and Vimeo. Also Check "GH4 - Best Video Settings" here on personal-view.com

• Thanks @Vitaliy for sharing the videos and the review. Great stuff.

• I mean the actual file the GH4 puts out sorry, ahah i didnt say that correctly. I want to have someone upload a native gh4 4k file so i can import it into adobe prem and see how it works? or is that the same as to if i where to download a clip?

• Two questions:

The 1080 is 4:4:4? Can record to 2K?

Thanks.

• The 1080 is 8bit 420 but 10bit 1080 444 can be generated by downsampling 4K 420.

Check out http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/9639/420-422-444-rescaling-and-colors-flame for details.

• You can also record 1080 4:2:2 to an external recorder via HDMI out.

• @joesh #AdamT: thanks. With any recording or only with the YAGH?

And aboout 2K, can record with them or only 4K and 1080?

I wanted to see more images of people and this footage from Ned Espeut-Nickless has convinced me; provide detail achieved without creating artificial bagged plasticky image, this looks organic and could be the image of any movie.

Cinelike D with all default settings saturation 0, contrast 0

• Ungraded version.

• @Manu4vendetta you don't need the YAGH to record 4:2:2 in either 1080 or 4K, but at the moment there are no recorders available that will do 4K over HDMI. Supposedly the Shogun will when it's released but that's a $2k unit.

• @Manu4Vendetta ...

The problem that this camera (GH4) brings us is that it is WAY ahead of any of the recorder companies. Talked with the Atomos people at NAB ... and they have been working on making a 4k recorder sure, but expected that for the next six months ('til say October 2014) it would only be useful connected to a RED or Alexxa or upper-end Sony, Panny, or Canon camcorder. So ... yea, they figured it would be used by people already sinking $5k or more into the camera itself & rigging, at the least. So, $3k for a recorder doesn't seem outrageous, right?

Full 4k 4:2:2 on a pretty decent AND sub-$2k camera, this spring? ... the guy was very honest. It caught them largely by surprise, they'd heard the cam might have that but realistically thought any such "cheapo" unit wouldn't be worth an out-board recorder. When they saw the first footage pop up on the web, and heard the probable ship date ... they were suddenly racing to catch up. He was sort of rolling his eyes and shaking his head about when they'd be able to build & prep for shipping an external recorder that would handle the output modes of the GH4 at a price that most would think reasonable given the price of the camera.

The first thing that's known to be coming out is that Shogun ... but cut down to "only" $2k. When we'll get something with the right modes and of lesser than $2k? Dunno. I'd imagine folks are trying ... but we have to accept they know it will crash the prices of their spendier units currently in production/sales. I don't imagine they're thrilled about that, right?

And yea ... I've seen enough skin with the GH4 to see that it isn't Pink Plasticene! Yippee, yahooie!

• Kinda disappointed there is no 1080/120. Me too, but would that draw more attention and aid sales as much as 4k?

I've had my GH4 for several days now and so far the footage at 1080 P60 recorded internally with AVCHD 28mbps is much better than 4k or Variable rate. Also the file sizes and workflow of 4k is so much more difficult to deal with. I may change my mind as I have not given up on 4k, but I think it is designed for Cineographers not Home Movie Makers.

• Asian Festival C4K test

Cine-D, Contrast -5, Sharp 0, NR -5 Quick grade in FilmConvert Highlights blew out on some areas when sun popped out and overexposed scene. Still learning the GH4. Histogram didn't help.. should have had zebras turned on.

• Resolution test showing the difference between GH4 at 4K and the GH3 uprezzed to 4K. What might look like aliasing in the GH4 shot was actually produced by my craptastic laser printer. :)

GH4_testchart.jpg
    1260 x 945 - 341K
    GH3_testchart.jpg
    1260 x 945 - 211K
  • Hi I got my GH4 yesterday. I have a problem to get the exposure meter to display in Cinema creative mode P. I have tried to turn auto ISO of. Do not know what settings I missled. I have sales the settings in C2. Any idés?

• You only get the exposure meter if you're in manual exposure mode. Otherwise you just get the +/- EV display, and zebras if you turn them on.