Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • Does Anybody know where I can find a store with body only GH4 in stock in Los Angeles? I didn't go to Samy's because I figured I could wait a week more for my Amazon pre-order (ordered on April 14th). Amazon switched to 'out of stock' at the last minute and won't even give an estimate of availability. I called Samy's but of course they have none left. Any idea? :)

• WayWardCloud: try Hotrod Cameras in Hollywood.

• Anyone heard of expected date in Aussie? Dealers in WA have no news but one reckons there is a Panasonic event at the end of May so it's unlikely to be before then.

• I've been trying to get an answer from Gerrygibbs WA for my pre-order. so far no reply. they are usually pretty good with communications. Expected early May but who really knows anymore ha.

• I just received my GH4 today - BUT I just discovered that it does not work with my aftermarket GH3 battery grip NOR a transcend class 10 64GB sdxc card! The camera turns on with the grip with panasonic batteries, but it crashes as soon as you attempt to shoot a photo. The SDXC card worked just fine with a GH4 I tested out at NAB running 1.5 firmware, but it just says "Card Full" even after several formatting attempts. The card still works just fine with my GH2. Any suggestions? The camera shoots just fine with a Sandisk Ultra 8GB card, which has me thinking they might have locked out cards and grips from third party manufacturers on purpose.

• Have you tried formatting in the GH2, or (exFAT) on a PC/Mac?

• Yes, just formatted as exfat on my mac, inserted the card, formatted in camera, push shutter and same results. "Memory Card Full"

• Doh. My hunch is it's a compatibility problem, not a deliberate lockout. They probably tweaked last minute for another card, and didn't realise they broke this one. If so a firmware update will hopefully fix it.

• I recorded several minutes of UHD and 4K with zero issues on a pre-release GH4 with this card, so I'm suspicious as to what could be going on.

• Today I received an email from a German dealer that is usually quick with delivery of new products and accurate in its timing statements (Cyberport), stating that they expect to be able to ship GH4s not before June. So the "May 5th rumor" turned out to be not true. Well, it's too late for my next trip anyway, so I can wait now for competitive prices after all the pre-orders have been fulfilled.

• Standard style, all 0s, 1920x1080, 29.97p, 200Mbps, All-INTRA. Uploaded as photo jpeg 93% quality setting.

• XRaySpecs Thanks !

FWI for people in LA: I called HotRod Cameras today. Very nice guy said they would receive new bodies sometimes next week and they have a call list you can sign-up to to be alerted when it happens.

Any other idea who might have GH4 bodies in stocks in LA?

• Mr Fanny....Also got one on pre-order from GerryGibbs. It was they that mentioned the dealer event. I see on another site there was a facebook mention from Panasonic AU. Just have to hope it gets here quicker than the BMPCC

• @Tai. I have a Transcend SDXC 64gb class 10 card and have no problems recording with GH4.

• @manila57 got my email today. should be expecting it in a day or two. stocks been dispatched by panasonic australia in the last couple days so they should all be hitting stores by end of this week I recon.

• MRfanny....No email at present so it looks like Panasonic have not fulfilled the 5 units that were on pre-order. Time will tell. It would be nice if it arrives before the end of the month in order to reclaim the gst when I go to Europe for a few weeks.

• After a recent conversation I can confirm from the UK that CVP have no real idea now when they will be able to fulfill preordered GH4s. They were told beginning of may now it looks more like June (make sense that Panasonic have the grip and battery deal to cover over this time) Amazon UK do not even have it listed. Not even for preorder.

Saying that there are a couple of uk sellers on ebay who have some physical GH4s...im guessing imports.

• They were told beginning of may now it looks more like June (make sense that Panasonic have the grip and battery deal to cover over this time) Amazon UK do not even have it listed. Not even for preorder.

Now all is in proper state, as with every GH :-)

• @Vitaliy its classic preorder frenzy :-D

• @Vitaliy yes, Panasonic has just swapped continents. Usually it's the US where you can't track down a GHx. This year it's Europe.

• According to Wex Photographic in the UK, i'll be getting my camera tomorrow. Fingers X.

• @manila57 digitalcamerawarehouse is having an actual gh4 launch this sat with demos and such. their sight says in stock and they say that they will have units for sale on the day also. not sure on location exactly, possibly melbourne.

• Just spoke to Wex. My GH4 is on its way. Still showing Pre-Order on the site so demand is probably outpacing supply at this stage.