Personal View site logo
GH2 Cake v2.3: reliability and spanning in 720p, HBR, 24p, and VMM at 2-2.5x stock bit rates
  • 609 Replies sorted by
  • Thought I'd chip in my own praise for Cake 2.3. I have been able to fill a 64GB card at 65mbps with no problems on the GH2 and the GF3 (at 49mbps.) Very impressive on both these cams. The GX1 does not like it as much, unfortunately. I have also been able to fill a 16GB class 6 Patriot at 65mbps with no problems. This patch is unbelievably stable. And the video quality is pretty impressive too. I linked this video into another topic, but I will repeat it here:

• @mee

The nightclub shots look washed out, especially the whites. Was this created in post, or shots were severely overexposed?

• @balazer

I got a chance to test out your patch. The HBR30p mode is very very nice :) and to top it off very reliable with a modest bit rate to boot. Thank you so much for your help and this awesome patch.

Best Regards

• kletkeman and Azo, thanks for the feedback. Glad it's working for you.

• PSA shot with Cake v2.3, HBR mode

Very satisfied with the hack, as I needed one for broacast that was reliable. Thank you balazer

20mm 1.7, Tiffen White Water ND 1.8

HBR mode, Smooth -2 -2 -2 -2

Glidecam HD-1000

GoPro Hero 2

Color Graded in After Effects with Colorghear Toolkit (colorghear.com) and Neat Video.

Color Corrected in Color Finesse for AE

On a side note, be cautious using the gh2 in dusty climate. On my 6th month of shooting in Afghanistan my camera starting giving me the error message "please turn camera off and then on again" about 20% of the time I use it. I have to continuously play with it for it to fix.

• Hi all, great work here, just need your help, i have downloaded PTool and firmware for my GF3 and PTool doesnt seam to recognise the cake 2.3 for this firmware, is it due to this being made specificly for the GH2? What do i need to change to make it compatible with the GF3? Sorry for the simple question but i need to start somewhere, been reading as much as i can for 3 days :)

• Some people have reported that Cake works fine on the GF3. I haven't tried it myself. Just follow the FAQ: http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/ptool/ptool-faq

• Thank you so much blazer, it is all working fine now, just very new to this. The hack was already recognised, it was a user error :) . Cheers

• @balazer I have been working with cake now for a long time and didn't have any problems... Suddenly, since a month, I have these two errors: Playback doesn't work in camera anymore, Camera crashed several times. Same sd cards etc Should I update the hack?

• @gameb, in-camera playback is not something I ever tested. As for the crashes, sound like a problem with memory cards or maybe the camera itself. Try different cards, or several full-overwrite formattings per the 2nd post.

• @balazer, spectacular setting for GH2, underappreciated, but worthy of application in my films, THANKS !!!..I noticed a little digital rain in 720p in Premiere CS6, but not a problem.I use EDIUS6.5 and have no problem with it.I see a significant improvement in color correction in post to other patches in this class.Thanks for all the good work and cheers!!!

• Thank you. Yes, the rain is a bug in some decoders. Rain is more noticeable the longer GOP. I use a longer GOP in 720p than in the other modes, so it will be more noticeable in 720p.

• Hey Right Now I'm Using Sanity X And The Bitrate Is Pretty Low Around 30mbps Will This Hack Be Better Than Sanity X?

• I don't know. Depends which mode you use and what you shoot. Cake does about 68 Mbps in 24p and 48 Mbps in HBR.

• Im using cake 2.3. tested 720p spans fine every four gig. checking files on bitrate viewer my average bitrates are 30000. does this seem right for ordinary filming. seems alittle low on bit rate. using sh mode auto iso vibrant. any insight would be appreciated

• 720p will be around 35 Mbps. The bit rate varies with the content.

• Cake v2.3, GH2- ETC iso800, nikkor 50mm,f2.8 - frames from video

koteto 20114mart (4).jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 261K
    koteto 20114mart (1).jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 120K
    koteto 20114mart (3).jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 247K
  • @kris cute cat :-)

I am a big fan of the Cake v2.3, it is since years my best friend for long takes and it handles most of the situations with remarkable results.

IMHO, this setting is by far less popular than it deserves to be.

• @tetakpatak, thank you! ...cute cat :-) ,through :SAKE: ,and development team.. cheers!

• Sharing some Cake love :-) This is still my go-to setting after all this time. Love it. Lighting using Dedolights, shot on GH2 / Cake with colour correction in Resolve - I've given the woman's blonde hair a golden tint to match the instrument, which is covered with sheet gold.

password: loincloth

The language is ancient Sumerian by the way

• @Mark,thanks for sharing ,incredible color punch!.. other force on the cake is the ability to play in the post with ease procedure, including color.I use EDIUS 7 and this is setting (CAKE), who are currently using without any problems and remarks

• what is better quality in 720p cake 2.3 or santy x. please give me your honest opinion balazer. thanks

• I haven't tested it.

• Cake v2.3 , 25p post EDIUS 7

• @kris Looks great. I like the natural look.