Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 Cake v2.3: reliability and spanning in 720p, HBR, 24p, and VMM at 2-2.5x stock bit rates
  • 609 Replies sorted by
  • @duartix and @balazer I'm getting second thoughts using HBR 30p for timelapse since 24p has more motion judder.

I would like to use Cake 2.3's HBR 30p and 720 60p for regular shooting and timelapser on 24H. I have SanDisk Extreme 30MB/s 16gb cards. I need to shoot about one hour at a time. Filesize efficiency is also important. About 90min/4gb would be nice. Shutter speed 2fps or 2,5fps. Which one suits better?

I don't feel comfortable doing this myself so I'm asking if you could help me?

• It's time to get out of your comfort zone. :P I'm not going to make custom settings just for you.

If you want 24p time lapse settings in the Cake style, compare Cake 2.3 timelapser 2 and Cake 2.3, and see all of the changes that I made to HBR 30p mode, and make proportional changes to 24H mode. If you want to use a shutter speed of 1/2 s, set the GOP length to a multiple of 13.

Another approach would be to take Aquamotion V1, change the GOP length to 13, and copy those settings for 24H mode into Cake.

Or you can take duartix's Timebuster 2.0, which is meant to be merged with settings like Cake. Duartix has written a lot of documentation.

• @vstardust: Head here: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/57152#Comment_57152

All you need is to take steps: 1, 3, 6, 7, 12, 13

It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. :)

• Alright, thanks guys.

• Cake v2.2. Graded. Low quality SD card with stock lens.

• @ldbonilla That was very cool. Could you explain your settings a little pls. Shutter/framerate and picture style? I know its graded. Plus is there any reason your not using 2.3?

• @smontoto, Certainly.

Slowed down 720p 60. Just keep your Shutter speed high and your ISO low. If you have to take a dark shot just take it. Smooth -2 everything. I didn't use 2.3 because I thought 2.2 was more stable.

Cheers

LD

• Hello, im having quite big problem. Im trying to shoot with GH2, but i cant get nice smooth motion with it. Here is sample of yesterday shooting.

Any ideas? PLS...i dont want to use just STILL images.

M.

• @Majlo 24 frames per second isn't going to be smooth. Use HBR or VMM80% to get 30fps, or accept 720p at 50 fps PAL or 60 fps NTSC.

• Cake v2.3 is stable. You might have been thinking about what I said about 2.3 beta. In any case, 2.2 and 2.3 are the same for 720p.

I certainly don't recommend Cake if you're using a slow Patriot card that locks up the camera. If you really don't have time to mess around in the field, well, time is money. There are much better, inexpensive memory cards available.

• @Ashun it is HBR. Im from CZE, so i record to 25/50 fps. That video was posted right from GH2, no edditing, just upload to Youtube.

@Balazer Its recorded on 32GB/10 card. U think its SD card problem?

• @balazer , why 1080i50 mode shows interlaced in playback ?

• Majlo, that's just how 25p looks. If you want smoother video, you need to shoot 50p or 60p.

Feha, I don't understand the question. 1080i50 shows interlacing in playback because it is interlaced. To play back interlaced footage correctly, it needs to be played back on an interlaced display, or de-interlaced.

• Balazer I understand that, but ive seen posted videos from others with same setting and i have a feeling that their motion was better (smoother). Fast camera movements make buildings (objects) very jumpy. I was working with videocamera (Sony PMW EX3), so im new with GH2. Im little disappointed with this jumpy outcome while panning (dont know if PANning its right word-sry for my english) . I dont know how to shoot dynamic scenes, like running kids ect without that jumpy objects.. Stills are very nice..andy ideas? Or am I just an idiot. . :)

• Btw i was thinking . . . i dont have original Panasonic SD card. It is some SD/class 10, but its not Panasonic. Do u think it is possible, that my SD is shitty one and thats why its not satisfying quality i look for?

• @balazer , I mean this is not the case in stock FW and not the case with FlowMotion, I want to be able to use Cake 2.3 as most stable settings also on 1080i 50. What i mean is it shows visible (interlaced) lines on playback ...

• Feha, try playing back with VLC. Enable deinterlacing and set the deinterlacing mode to linear.

• @Majlo Unless I've missed you saying, what shutter speed were you using? The only way of getting very smooth motion is to use perhaps 1/25. But of course then you lose detail in anything that's moving. I mean, your clip looks OK to me - no major juddering at least. I think there's a rule somewhere that you should allow more than 7 seconds for an object to go from one side of frame to another, so you could slow down the pans. But 24p/25p will look different from interlaced video shot at PAL framerates. For many people, that's the attraction of the GH2 - it looks less like "video".

If you are talking about something more than just the regular, frame-to-frame flickering as you pan over your scene in your video, then maybe your video looks different to you than it does to me - for example, maybe it's an issue with your player not handling the high bitrate? As I say, it doesn't look particularly bad to me.

EDIT: I was looking at the video on my iPod as I didn't have the computer fired up. Just looked at the original YouTube, full-screen. Yes, I see what you mean. You also mention there that you use 1/50. So you could try lowering the shutter speed to 1/25 (at least, for this sort of shot). Some people say you should use 1/50 but personally I prefer the look of 1/25 for the stuff I do. And Cake is a great patch - it's the one I use all the time (thanks, @balazer)!

Also, the youtube video does sometimes pause for a fraction of a second - probably a YouTube thing rather than anything you've done.

• @Mark_the_Harp Thanks for reply. I was shooting today on 1/50 childrens on playground. It wasnt perfect result (its not movie look which im looking forward to..someday :)), but on 1/50 quite reliable picture. Nextime ill try lower it on 1/25 as u say just to try it out. But there is a new problem. My GH2 frozen like 5 times in 2h (on Cake 2.0). I had to withdraw my battery (ON/OFF didnt work) Its most probably SD card fault. As i said, its 10 class (32GB), but not original Panasonic so i suggest low write speed on HDR. Or... any ideas? :) Thanks again for reply

• @Majlo I think you're probably right - I would see if it works better with another card. You never really know how good cards are without trying them (unless you get one of the ones recommended on this forum). I have two 16GB cards, one marked class 6 and one class 10. The class 6 one is better, and hardly ever fails with Cake 2.3 The class 10 one is less reliable. Let us know how your experiment goes with shooting at 1/25!

• @Majlo , don't forget to use an ND filter :-)

• @feha - Id like to :D but i dont want to buy some shitty filter, so im trying to save money for it :)

@Mark - 16Gb 6 class on full HD clips? I thought its low class. Ive seen one pretty Panasonic SD, quite expensive 32GB but class 6. So i thought its low class and not enough for HDR recording. And Mark, hardly ever fail means never fail or it failed you? :)))

• @Majlo you get sandisk extreme 32gb 45mbps on amazon germany for 26 Euros, thats a good card, fantastic price, never had any issues on cake in any modes with it (thanks @balazer)

• @gameb Thanks man, ill try ;) Ive ordered it now, so will c what happens :P

• @Majlo Good luck with the new card when it arrives. I never answered your previous comment - sorry - and I can see how it might have looked confusing. What I meant was, the Class 6 card I had always worked with Cake. So although it was marked Class 6 it was a better card than the one I have which is marked Class 10, which sometimes fails on Cake. The point being, you can't really tell by reading the labels, so it's best to get the ones people have recommended on this forum. The ultimate cards are the Sandisk 64GB 95mbps cards, but they are a LOT of money!