Personal View site logo
Sony FDR-AX100, 4K camcorder for the masses
  • 163 Replies sorted by
  • Enough Youtube heavily compressed test clips and reviews! How about a video?

Here's a video I made in the first hour I had with the camera:

You can download the original XAVC S UHD video I uploaded - no re-compression was used.

There are no cats, but there are high contrast outdoor scenes, indoor low-light scenes, and bokeh. And fountains, goldfish, a snake, lizards, flowers, dinosaurs, children, scenic buildings, people, bicycles.

Some shakiness due to gusty wind in some scenes, but only Standard OIS was used, not Active-mode stabilization.

• @markr041 Thanks! Especially for not moving your camera like a tourist, panning and zooming all over the place ;-)

Nice exposure too. No cyan blue skies!

• A lot of these samples look slightly sharper and cleaner than the new Panny GH4--anyone have an opinion on that?

• @DrDave I believe there's a lot of post sharpening on-board with the AX100, but the XAVC-S is a bit more of a limiting codec with a 60Mbit cap and 8-bit 4:2:0 (when compared with Panasonic's offerings). It's definitely not a bad camera by any means but in my opinion this is much more suited for run-n-gun type operations and possibly a worthy B-cam. The GH4 on the other hand is more suited for prosumer video depending on their resources (ie. microHDMI recording, using it in conjunction with a YAGH, etc).

PS - I believe low lighting differences will be the main concern here as the Sony cam definitely shows a bit of noise (yet I only saw this on a 1650x1080 monitor, I'm certain it's much better on a true 4K monitor).

• Small sample with downloadable original file

• @killagram You're right of course about the pro features, but to my eye the samples just look better--less stair-stepping, less junk in the image, and pinpoint sharpness that does not seem to have halos or sharpening artifacts. I would be interested in a side by side test, hope someone will take the trouble to make one.

• Some people have complained that the AX100 colors are a bit wan, for final output. There is a Cinematone setting in the camera that both captures more detail in highlights and increases the saturation and shifts the color more to red than blue.

Here is a video comparison in low light:

First part of each scene is normal; the second uses the Cinematone setting. You also get a test of whether the lens is parfocal - a fast full zoom appears to retain the object focus.

This video was not re-compressed, and the original XAVC S file is downloadable.

• I had High Hopes for the AX100 But The Rolling Shutter Looks Quite Bad

The Comments on the Youtube Clip say it best \\\

• Rolling shutter - yes, if you take shots perpendicular to and close up of trains going 60 MPH this camera is not for you :). What non-global shutter camera would do better for that type of shot?

• Cinematone 4K Comparison in Bright Light Outdoors:

Original, un recompressed 4K video is downloadable.

• @Mike Linn

I shot The Gold Coast. That is shot with the BMC4K. Maybe you meant to post a video I did showing the BMC4K and AX100 shooting the same subject that I did last weekend?

• Sony FDR AX100 vs. Panasonic HDC TM900: Comparison Videos

Why these two camcorders? The TM900 three years ago was the sharpest HD camcorder available (still may be) and today it's the AX100. Have we made progress?

These videos were taken three years apart in the same place at the same time of year - a short trip to NYC's Union Square by train and subway. The AX100 4K video replicates in spirit similar scenes - train stations (including GCT), the subway, and action in Union Square on a very bright, sunny day taken three years ago with the TM900. So one can compare, in low light and bright light scenes from the same place by the same videographer.

The AX100 video:

The TM900 video:

The original videos are downloadable. Both were not re-compressed - they show exactly what the cameras produce (AX100=4K30p; TM900=108060p).

Compare sharpness, color (skin tone), low-light, smoothness.

• Can the AX100 be used to shoot sports? Sony FDR AX100 Baseball video in 4K:

• Awesome looking footage from these cams. The NY skyscrapers do show a bit of aliasing.

• While a compressed and downrezzed (by your viewer) video might look like aliasing, in fact the video in 4K from the camera has no aliasing. This has been discussed in other forums. Slashcam.de resolution tests show the camera produces artifact-free video (there is some sharpening). And comparisons of altered and original videos can easily show this.

• @markr041 the fact that it has been discussed in other forums gives me little cheer, but there is the question of whether the footage will look weird when you put it on YouTube. It would be like going to the movies, seeing junk on the screen, and having the manager tell you that if you looked at the Master it would be fine. Eat your popcorn and use your imagination.

The footage that I downloaded also showed aliasing and and moiree, but not as much as the GH4. This could be the built in sharpening or something else. I definitely appreciate the work of those who posted the samples because I am unlikely to buy both of them at this point.

• I don't know what "moiree" is, and I don't understand your analogy. The test charts on Slashcam.de show no aliasing or moire on the Ax100, but some on the GH4. If you see some from the AX100 you are likely doing something wrong in how you are playing the video. Maybe check into what. This was the topic on other forums and we found what the poster was doing wrong. If you can find a camera with less moire, good luck.