Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • Thank you guys for the video. I took the liberty of extracting with Premiere pro pictures from each scene for everybody to be able to play with: http://we.tl/vU9csiGEt8 Best regards.

• Uh. Why on earth would some want to sharpen GH4K footage! It's already (too) sharp with kind of aliased edges. (might be micro sized compression artifacts).

• So, I think some people have been put off by the harshness of the color and tonality in the footage that's been released so far. I did a quick log-esque grade in Resolve (probably a bit farther than most would do, but that was the point) of the 4k footage posted by Emmanuel Pampuri. You can see it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-frJ9yaZvIPMk01eDNGN01lRTA/edit?usp=sharing .

It's in 1080p but if you click the down arrow on the left hand side you can download the full 4k version in 4:2:2 ProRes HQ (probably a bit overkill, but I didn't want to downgrade the original footage.) I also limited each scene to 4 seconds to keep the filesize low.

• Straight out of camera: http://imgur.com/daWUfml After CC and sharpening: http://imgur.com/ACGko0a

Some things to notice: the detail in the individual links of the chain holding up the boat. The complete lack of aliasing on the rail at the top of the building in the background (even at 100% magnification). The lack of clipped blacks in the shadows underneath the bridge, even with the cloudless afternoon sky in the background.

• @fancydancer already posted this but I will do it again. Go to Vimeo and download the original 4K file of this video, then drop it into your NLE. I was blown away at how well the footage color corrected and sharpened up. If you downsample from 4K to 1080p and set an unsharp mask in AE to 100% with a 1 pixel radius, the footage looks amazing, far better than what's on Vimeo. https://vimeo.com/groups/gh4/videos/89232617?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed

• @driftwood via @Ralph_B

"Request: When you get the camera, could you check whether ETC mode runs at 50/60P? Thanks!"

+1 here too. Thanks.

• Panasonic needs better test shooters for these sample videos I'm pretty sure Philip Bloom or anybody of some such like that would squeeze the juice right out of this camera & we'll see what its really made of

Rewind time to GH3 introduction and same had been said about PB. I have theory that any initial videos will be not enough, even if Panasonic will be secretly shooting all of them on Alexa.

• All these sample videos shot on the GH4 aren't impressing me the footage is looking the same a GH2 or GH3. Panasonic needs better test shooters for these sample videos I'm pretty sure Philip Bloom or anybody of some such like that would squeeze the juice right out of this camera & we'll see what its really made of. Heck I'm pretty sure I can make better sample videos than the people that are shooting the sample videos for Panasonic. Not saying that I feel the camera is garage I feel the opposite of that, I feel like it is an incredible camera but all the people shooting these test footage aren't pushing the camera to its full potential & showing how truly incredible this camera is!

• Pampuri hooked us up nicely... Cine-D mode looks great on the 4K downloadable file. The "Lumix G" youtube vid is either a hoax or amateur hour, however I noticed that they tout 13 stops of dynamic range in the video description. I wonder if Panasonic is officially going to claim that level of DR in their marketing material or if its just a few words from an over zealous uploader.

• Thank you very much for the video driftwood and Ralph_B. It is very relevant, extraordinary detail and dynamic range.

• @driftwood

"The review will be coming just as soon as Panasonic can spare one."

Request: When you get the camera, could you check whether ETC mode runs at 50/60P? Thanks!

• I'm not intrigued at all, am sick of clips filmed from hand, sorry but those are my tastes. A tripod is dirt cheep nowadays...

• I didn't notice any stability problems and this test was about something completely different from stability anyway, so calling it "crappy videos" is a bit of an overstatement. I was intrigued by what I was seeing. Still wanting more samples.

• What a crappy videos, the guys must learn how to stabilize there cameras. I wander how Panasonic allows something like this.

• http://hybridcamerarevolution.blogspot.co.at/2014/03/panasonic-posts-new-gh4-108096p-slow.html

Some slow motion footage, as well as a demo of the Master Pedestal feature.

• I really hope panasonic or third party supplier will make a simplified YAGH+"batterygrip": XLR/audio features like the YAGH and slots for two panasonic batteries (or cheaper battery solution).

I like the YAGH for what it is. But many (even more?) need a "simplified YAGH" that keeps the compact footprint of the GH4 while improving audio features and operation time.

• IMO aside from a built in ND filter this camera has most of what we've been asking for in terms of video. Really big camera release.

• @Ian_T agree, can't wait to see this in use. I'm almost giddy with anticipation. LOL

• Here is an explanation of Panasonic's terminology related to settings in cine-d, cine-v, knee, chroma level, pedestal, etc. via the scene file handbook for the HMC-150 http://www.filmrocks.com/pdf/AG_HMC150SceneFileHandbook.pdf

• I've had Panasonic cameras in the past. This camera FINALLY comes with a cine D like gamma curve (sort of like Cine mode on old consumer cameras except Cine D was in their pro-sumer cameras). If this was a pre-production camera then it was not activated yet. You'll see a big difference in the shadows and highlights when using it. Check out some Panasonic cameras on Vimeo using these settings and see what I mean. All I know is the GH-4 will have it and that's a good thing. So foget these silly examples posted on this thread and wait until we get our hands on the finished product. :)

• @anti12 It would have been a better test if both cameras were exposed to avoid highlight clipping and THEN see how much shadow detail could be retrieved.

• @Mistas based on logic alone:

1. I would stabilize the 4K footage so you don't lose resolution when the footage is cropped. Then downsample the cropped footage to 1080p;

2. Downsampling by itself will make any noise have a much finer grain, so I would first downsample and then denoise. You'll probably find that you need a much lighter touch on the resampled footage and thus preserve more detail;

3. Not sure but I would bet that it's not a simple averaging. There are many algos for downsampling and some are better than others;

4. Even at 4K it's still the equivalent of an 8 MP still image, so there's little possibility of the sensor outresolving your lenses. Also, 4K uses about a 2.25X crop, so the sharper middle part of the lens will take up more of the frame.