Personal View site logo
Official GH2 "Stalin" hack development topic
  • 939 Replies sorted by
  • @fatpig I second the on-the-fly iso / etc change, but Vitaliy I think said the iso one would probably not be possible.

By the way, someone commented that they couldn't get slow video shutter speeds. If you want to (I personally don't!) you can access the slower speeds by choosing MF mode.
  • Interesting. I had just assumed it was chromatic aberration due to the plastic lenses in the eyepiece.
  • Just a quick note on the viewfinder, V.s right, it's monochrome and the backlight just cycles through R,G,B, like a single-chip DLP projector. And yes it's cheaper to get high res in a small panel that way (you don't need to cram in RGB sub-pixels).

I noticed this 'rainbow effect' straight away and was kinda annoyed by it - but I don't really notice it anymore. I do notice it on my cheap DLP projector all the time, but that's because you see it most if you move your eyes.
  • >GH1 hack do not work on GF1.

Vitaliy, so you already tested the new GH1 patch on an unhackable GF1 and it doesn't work? That's too bad. So I guess it won't be in the testers section for G2 and GF1, like you previously wrote. Was looking forward to it.
  • very good idea. erm- im new- how do i activate focus assist on pressing thumb wheel?
    whats also very annoying: cant change iso and etc mode while recording... pretty sure everyone would like that on-the-fly :)
  • @Mark_the_Harp
    Good suggestion. Also, when I use the thumb wheel press button to get focus assist, I sometimes accidently scroll and adjust the shutter speed too. So maybe a feature to lock shutter speed / aperture adjustment also might be a good idea? (e.g. require a function button to be held in, while scrolling the thumb wheel)
  • In video shooting it would be nice if in manual mode, the aperture was the default first thumbwheel adjustment rather than shutter. Don't know about anyone else, but in video at least, to cope with different lighting conditions, I tend to leave the speed at 1/50 and use the aperture first, followed by iso, and then a faster lens (in bad light). I would only change to a different shutter speed as a last resort as that is by far the least desirable and least correctable way of shooting video (you can noise-reduce video in editing, but you can't do much about a slow shutter speed).
  • Vitaliy, Thanks again for all of your efforts. Do you have any specific features(ie: 25p) you want to add/update before you release the first hacked firmware or will you release it whenever you have any updates ready?

How do you pronounce your first name by the way?
  • >gh1 hack work in a gf1

GH1 hack do not work on GF1.
    And I do not have any plans about GF2.
  • Hi Vitaliy,

The gh2 will work on a gf2, like the gh1 hack work in a gf1?

thanks you very much. regards from spain
  • >Vitaliy, what stage are you now with the GH2? (also, let us know if/when you need any more donations

As I said, I am reversing. And will be doing it for some time (really, for very long time even after released hacks).
    We do not need anything specific today. Donations just allow me to dedicate more time on it.
  • Vitaliy, what stage are you now with the GH2? (also, let us know if/when you need any more donations)
  • >It looks like the Sandisk Extreme (16GB, Class 10) would be best for our purposes.

I think Hoodman:) maybe oiverkill?
  • Thanks both! So I guess it's easier to make the viewfinder high resolution that way than to use a colour LCD.
  • >Noticed this as well. It seems to happen due to the small LCD and the lenses that focus it into your eye. If you look side to side in the VF quickly, you'll see the images separate.

No it is not due to small LCD or lenses.
    It happens because you have b/w LCD and cycling colors backlight, as I understand.
    Look at any paper about DLP projectors - this works on same principle, and you can see same artefacts.
  • Noticed this as well. It seems to happen due to the small LCD and the lenses that focus it into your eye. If you look side to side in the VF quickly, you'll see the images separate.
  • Vitaliy (or anyone) just out of interest, when using the eyepiece viewfinder (I usually use the LCD) I've noticed that it seems to strobe through different colours. Is that my imagination or does it use a rotating colour filter wheel or something? Just curious, really - nothing to do with hack!
  • >Why can't we choose the size of this crop mode?

Most probably because sensor can't do it :-)
  • Is it possible to imagine some kind of crop 1.1 mode to make a 2k or more. That would be great if we need to make some picture improvement with AE or something...
    Why can't we choose the size of this crop mode?
  • @iandrew
    I already answered to your question, sorry.
    Any info copy&pasted from any SM and not in restricted development forum will be deleted.
    I think that you know the reason for this.
  • Hi Vitaliy,
    (about audio hw :)
    >They do not have such "hardware" as modern LSI is so much integrated :-)
    hardware - I mean all that isn't firmware :)
    I'm interesting in audio path through camera: in GH1 audio path
    for ext. mic (most interesting):
    "remote pcb" through ext.mic pcb through audio pcb
    for int. mic: mic pcb through audio pcb.

as I guess all audio processing is limited to this pcbs (including AGC): remote pcb, ext.mic pcb, mic pcb, audio pcb.
    Schematic Diagrams and Parts Lists provided for all this pcbs, excluding audio pcb.
    and this pcb is most interesting - there is main audio controller here...
    as you see all audio lays out of main processing board, all this board has quate clear interfaces. why not dream about simple modifications... like:
    - ext. mic with AGC to simple line level in
    - internal speaker to headphone out
    - unbalanced ext. mic to balanced mic or line level in

some questions remain if I'm not misstaken about remote controle: separate remote control and ext. mic input.
    unfortunately from remote pcb Schematic Diagrams there are questions (which probably direct to firmware and hence to patching):
    is realy remote pcb not connected to flash pcb (from which contacts from main shutter botton -"shutter full" and "shutter half" - goes to main processor board?
    in this way main cpu make direct and separate decision about activation of shutter from remote controle by analizing resistance between contacts on jack (this mean thet this analisis should be done main cpu loop as looking to shutter full/half signals from flash pcb)!
    ...this is why I ask you about detailed images from yours dump cameras.
    Thanks for your time!
  • Min write speed seems like the most important parameter.
  • >....But look closely at the chart "Write Throughput: h2benchw 3.13" on page 12. It looks like the Sandisk Extreme (16GB, Class 10) would be best for our purposes.

IMHO the only important test for our purposes is the sequential write. The critical moment is precisely that of writing, and in any case never happens to write and read simultaneously.
  • >At first glance, one might conclude that the USH-I cards are the way to go...
    UHS-I is a new standard, so if the hardware of the GH1/GH2 does not support the differences will be subtle. Care must be taken to make this type of comparisons.
  • I was so happy reading about native 24p for GH2, but now after I used GH2 in 24p mode with glidetrack and glidecam I understand that it's very bad for this kind of videos. For static shots it's ok... 1080 50i is pretty good, hope soon we will have possibility to use this with 24Mb bitrate. 24p mode for me is very strong... no motion blur between frames...