Personal View site logo
Driftwood Cluster X series 3:│moon T7│ЅріzZ T6│Nebula T7│Drewnet T9│
  • 1811 Replies sorted by
  • @Tjabo "I compared the Drewnet T9, and to me it just isn't even in the same league of image quality. Of course, that seems to mean you can't do nearly as much with it, either."

Why do you say you can't do nearly as much with Moon T7? Do you find it harder to grade?

• Sorry, I guess I wrote a bad sentence! I meant that I guess you can't do nearly as much with Drewnet as you can with Moon T7. I just love the quality I can get with Moon T7, and I haven't been able to get that type of quality with anything else I've tried. Looking at some of the Drewnet samples I see here, I think other people are having the same results (not as good as with Moon T7).

For me it has a lot to do with what the image quality is like once it has been compressed by YouTube. The samples I have tried with Moon T7 look much better on YouTube than the Drewnet does.

• Here is a short film I shot on moonT7. It was for a 24-hr film fest.

Three coworkers take a weekend shift during a time of great fear. One final chance stands between life as usual and the end of the world. Amid their office banter a report comes through about that last attempt. In a panic they try to leave the office and find themselves trapped. It is only then in the stillness they discover their humanity when faced with utter despair.

• @film3r: Very good stuff, I got really sucked in. I love the end of the world stuff :-)

How did you make the music for the movie? It really worked wonders.

• @Brumbazz Thank you, thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to check it out. The majority of the music came from a gentleman by the name of Scott Hampton. http://www.scotthamptoncomposer.com/ He was excellent to work with.

• @driftwood That T8 test was amazing. A ton of great detail in those waves, but cinematic and smooth as hell. Looking forward to trying that out.

• @driftwood from what I can tell it seems that high does work in video mode with the moon t7 hack but Idk what to look for. Maybe you could look into this again?

• I use Drewnet T9 of gf3 test :)

• Shot on Moon T7. A submission video for a friend of mine who is going on American Ninja Warrior for a 2nd time. It's set up like a movie trailer parody of "I Am Legend". Critique is widely open. Thanks.

• @Jazzwalker You have a lot of truly cinematic shots, and overall I think the trailer was well done. What lenses did you use?

• @DFuture Thanks. Much appreciated it. I decided not to shoot so cinematic for the actual training stuff because I wanted the producers of the show to feel that the training was actually real and not just shots done to make the trailer. I used 4 lenses overall in this video. Daylight shots I used mostly the stock 14-42 lens and a old school zoom sigma lens. Stuff indoors and at night I used the Sigma 30mm 1.4. That lens is a beast for lowlight filming. I highly recommend it. Eventually I will get a variable ND for it so I can shoot in the daylight. Then there is a canon zoom lens that I borrowed to use for just one shot. I hope that helps. :)

• @jazzwalker sick trailer shot! it's look like a really trailer :) keep the good work. and only sigma 30 and stock lens? bravo!

• @jazzwalker Great great video. Loved the parody. Funny when he's calling for dog like in movie plus running into mannequin in street and saying "NO!". Really well shot. Very cool. Also putting the dog on his back when doing pushups was great. You guys are good - damn good. Thanks for posting.

• @Jazzwalker Hey man nice job on the video really cinematic! Could you tell me what you did in terms of the color grading?

• Night test with MOON T7 and SIGMA 30 1.4

• my sigma 18-35 said come on with T8 ;)

@jazzwalker really nice

• moon t7, 24p sinema mode - AE , neat video (i use it always), color finesse download 40mbps video - http://yadi.sk/d/zb7GREQmHwBZL (crazy quality, very impressive)

Yesterday i tried to use 720p 60 fps, but interpolated video looks to jerky. May be i have to change my shutter speed to 100 from 125, who knows...

First 3 frames are always looks as crap... Can we do something with that in moon t8? :)

• @Driftwood

I've been shooting with Drewnet T9 for months at 30p to slow down in post to 24p/25p. And with great results. It makes sense to me as most of my shots are steady with long lenses and no camera movement. The subject (animals mostly) just moves slightly within the frame. So typical Drewnet material.

What's been bothering me is how will Drewnet compensate for slight camera shaking from wind or situations with atmospheric distortions? I red the GH2 does pretty good motion compensation but when I use stabilizing software it's not just a picture shift. There is rotating, rolling shutter bubble. Do these circumstances just create so much change in the image that the encoder just handles every frame as new? And what about high iso noise or extele noise? Even with a total steady shot the noise will create a different picture in every frame. Or does the GH2 come with smart tricks to handle these circumstances. Or maybe it's better to use an all I-frame compression method in the end. When I look at Drewnet results frame by frame I see no change in quality between frames that indicates that it handles the situation just fine. I can't test Drewnet T9 and Moon T7 at the same time as I have only one camera.

• @RKM, why do you use Drewnet? Have you tried Moon T7? I'm no pro at this stuff, but in my "testing" there was a noticeable difference in image quality. Moon T7 is fantastic/amazing, and Drewnet almost looked to me like stock firmware.... Maybe I messed something up?

• I tried moon T7 but as I said before I can't use them side by side with one camera. I don't want to flash firmware in the field. My results with Moon7 were okay but Drewnet looked better to me. Very pleasing for the eye, especially the very detailed feather patterns on many duck species and I sticked with that. I don't say Moon7 is not okay. I bet it were just these circumstances while experimenting with new GH2 settings. Remember that the 30p settings are less optimal than the 24p but foraging birds don't move fluently. They switch posture very fast at certain intervals. Especially the closeups calm down the rapid movements and are easier to follow (and with free 25% extra footage). For landscapes I switch to 24p.

I don't need much color correction, WB sun works fine most of the time. I do some luma corrections from the ETTR exposure and some mild selective saturation.

• @RKM You can try Moon5 which is sharper than Moon7. And since each frame is a separate image in Moon settings, it could help when you use an image stabilizer in post.

• I know how a all I encoding works and I think that Drewnet can outperform Moon on solid steady shots with just the subject moving. I just want to know what happens when circumstances are less steady (camera, atmosphere) or noisy. Does the theory behind long GOP still gain enough advantage?

• Hi! Does any one have a problem with on camera preview? I have a moon t7 and some times i have this issue... I use sandisk extreme pro 95 mbps card

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters