Personal View site logo
Panasonic G6 topic, GH2 replacement camera
  • 1330 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks boys. Im thinking in buy this camera this year. I like the GH3, but a little expensive.

• @manu4vendetta Can you tell some background info like picture profile, ISO, lens, noise reduction in post etc.?

• Some owner of the G6 could make a low light test using a candle in a room without light and placing a person and a plate of food? I would like to see the possibilities in such conditions of this camera for a project using only candles and without artificial light.

@thorgas, sorry, I dont have that info, these videos arent mine. :(

• @manu4vendetta I'm going to compare G6, GH2 and GH3 with a setting like this in February. I'll post the results right here.

• @manu4vendetta, I saw in the youtube comments: "Just Panasonic G6, Olympus 45mm f/1.8 lens and Glidecam HD1000 ;)"

Damn the creator that video must have a steady and skilled hand to get it that smooth with a 45mm lens on a glidecam!

• The Panasonic G6 Project video posted above was made by this guy:

https://www.facebook.com/joe.nanoski

He has something to do with Neuman Films:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Neumannfilms

http://neumannfilms.net/

From reading his Facebook page it seems like he also has used a GH2 in the past.

• He honed his skills for three years to get this good, people :-)

• Guys, how many hot pixels qualifies to complain and return the camera? Checked out my G6 at 800 iso and it shows some of them - but about twice more at 25p than at 50p...

• @manu4vendetta and at the others that are interested in background info concerning "The G6 Project": max ISO was 640 and Picture profile was standard and natural... Contrast -1, sharpness 0, color saturation -1, noise reduction -1 without noise reduction in post. As Joe stated on his facebook timeline.

EDIT: And he must have had iDynamic turned off, which is just a guess.

• The steadicam really takes a while to get used to it, there is Mastor SF-1 motorised gimbal going to come out this year, should be an interesting alternative to steadicams

• Here is a video shot with a G6 14-42 kit lens, Oly 45mm 1.8, and a Minolta 50mm 1.4. I think it looks great and the 1080 60p really seems to work well in wedding videos. I wonder if the filmmaker visits the forums here? I bet he used the Minolta on the closing shot. That's one case where I think like hexagonal bokeh shapes better than round.

• Appears the G6 has a firmware update (GF6 too).

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/index.html

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/index.html

1. Improved compatibility of MF operation with H-FS12032 lens.
    2. Connection problem with Apple iOS devices via Wi-Fi is fixed.
  • 2014/02/04 Ver. 1.2
    - Improved compatibility of MF operation with H-FS12032 lens. - Connection problem with Apple iOS devices via Wi-Fi is fixed.

Update for the GF6 with the same changelog.

• I follow this forum almost evey day. I have a g6 with helios 44 58mm f2. Best aperture for video rec? This is my first dslr I'm a beginner. I've made some shoots and it looks great outdoors . I need to know the best setting for a good image quality. Should I record on M , P or S mode? the lens have an F ring that I set it at 2 to best light but it.s hard to focus. Some help please. I wanna buy a good and cheap zoom lens any through? 14-42mm can be better than my helios 44? thanks and sorry If I write on wrong topic.

• "Warning to all G6 users - do not install the update! WiFi connection is even worse than ever. I'm not able to get a stable connection which lasts more than a few seconds!"

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/158479#Comment_158479

Would anybody who has updated fw to 1.2 could confirm that?

• Here's my latest short film shot with the G6 and the GH3. The only shot that is not Panasonic is the flowers on the roadside that I took from one of my old shorts called Cross for Sale (shot with a Sony Video Cam).

Most close-ups were with the G6 and the Oly 45mm, with the MCU of the lady with the pretty blue eyes with the G6 and the Oly 45mm. The other two lenses were the 25mm Leica and the 14-42 G6 kit. Problems include pulling focus on the GH3 without peaking and skin tone issues (no vectorscope and flat settings maybe too flat).

The G6 held up well with the GH3. I shot .mov 50 bit rate with the GH3 and the clips are spanned end to end during interviews. This was not a problem. Differs from my old (and excellent) GH1s, of course. The G6 is continuous running single clip, which is nice. Running this setup creates a safety in the event that the GH3 misses something, which probably won't happen. All interviews ran over 30 minutes in length.

All audio was Tascam 60D with lavs (although I always run a Rode shotgun as well).

Please give me feedback. Thanks!

CITIZEN - A Short Documentary from Jonathan Hickman on Vimeo.

• well, it's about time we start a g7 wishlist thread ! I'd jump if....it has the higher bitrate mp4 and 1080/120 like in the w850/v750.

• @manu4vendetta: here is my first brief ISO and color profile test, a more in depth look will follow

• Great Job DailyFilmFix !

• @wanderer Thanks!

Will work on color particularly skin tone moving forward. But the G6 is very solid even at the lower bit rate. A hack would be mighty fine...

• Thorgas try this: (best for me)

program: manual video style: natural presets: -5 ; 0 ; 0 ; -5 ss: 100 ISO: 160 WB: manual f: depends of the weather and lens also: - all auto off (like iauto; ibright ect) - manual focus - 1080 25p (better than 50p...unless you planning slow mo.)

• @digitalamator: Thank you, I'll try this out. Can you tell me more about why to use 25p instead of 50p to improve image quality? I thought that 50p at 28Mbps succeeds over 25p at 24Mbps. I might have been trapped here, because 25p with 24Mbps is better in means of Mb/frame because it's only half the framerate than 50p, am I right with that?

• I try a lot of settings in G6 and I only tell you what i observe. In this little monster 25p look better than 50p and my favorite presets to make film look is that what I say in last post.

• digitalamator you using shutter speed 100 at 25p? and why you set sharpness to 0?