Personal View site logo
Best M 4/3rd interview lenses
  • 58 Replies sorted by
  • Cheers guys. I did end up getting a 25mm 1.4, so I'll let you know how I get on! Thanks for your help. I would have considered another lens if I had the space to use it!

• I did end up getting a 25mm 1.4, so I'll let you know how I get on! Thanks for your help. I would have considered another lens if I had the space to use it!

I'm sure you'll do fine with 25mm m4/3. Space is one of the main constraints I'm talking about. A 25mm lens on micro 4/3 will give great shots of a head and upper body at 2 meters away. It only slightly unflatters the face in a close-up, which is used in interviews only part of the time, for emphasis. (pic below, at right) In fact, when you shoot a subject at a distance in mid-shot to MCU (AKA "MCS" in the pic below, left), that rectangular part within the frame which encloses the face equates to the same angle of view as a flattering close-up you'd get from a portrait lens.

image image

from (left) Shoo — Shot_azz and (right) 101crew.co.uk " it’s a 25mm f0.95 micro Four Third lens and is a cracking interview lens."

Plus, at that distance you'll be easily able to make wide, unnoticeable panning adjustments to anticipate and follow movement. [Only presenters and old people can seem to stay still].

The biggest bonus to a 25mm (ballpark "normal") lens is its sense of intimacy, of being there with the interviewee. Please post us some stills!

• Thing most people ignore that good cheap F2.8 zooms like Tamron are very good for such task and more handy. Sharpness is absolutely ok for videos, focus adjustment via FF is faster and it works repeatedly.

• @oscillian

Thanks for the link to the Orbital Dolly! It would certainly do the job. For interviews, though, I'd only be arcing through maybe 10 degrees, so the orbital would be a rental-only choice for my own budget.

Their dolly is obviously able to do those disorienting, fast "trucking" shots you see in horror movies. But If I were invited to do a doco on Michaelangelo statues, scrutinising each one and very slowly trucking while tilting to show that 3-D parallax, the Orbital Dolly would be indispensable!

My skater dolly cost me maybe $30 (I maybe got it at one of our deals) and has only been used once for a kitchen shoot for food close-ups. Time to dust it off and get it to work!

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/105766

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

F2.8 zooms like Tamron are very good for such task and more handy

Exactly. We got way off track (my fault) talking about primes as a way of getting the best image quality at a lower price. Few interview camera ops would dream of using anything but a good zoom and the Tamrons are a great investment.

• Add here plenty of wide converters ala lens turbo. And usually it is more than enough if you are not up to top league. Most interviews are for small business / education, etc. And no one but your reduced free time will notice any difference with primes.

• no one but your reduced free time will notice any difference with primes.

I think all of us here will go the extra mile for the DSLR format. Almost everything in DSLR video requires a re-think and more time; prime lenses only take a little longer. My friends with their shoulder-mounted ENG cameras shake their heads and say my stuff is "too fiddly."