Personal View site logo
Panasonic G6 topic, GH2 replacement camera
  • 1330 Replies sorted by
  • @c3hammer, thanks! Im now more interested in this camera.

• As we all know Peaking on G6 is not perfect, but I've noticed that it works MUCH better at +5 Sharpening. If set to -5 barely shows at all...

• Having edited a few days worth of G6 and GH2 side by side, I'd say that the G6 is much sharper than the GH2 is, even when turned down. This is not only due to "sharpness" but the image from the GH2 is just "soft" all around. I could not get the in-camera settings to match between cameras and had to do it in post.

• Thing that we know for sure is that LSI is completely different in G6. Including some algorithms improvements and much better encoder.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Since it is based on GH2 tech Do you think it will be a bit easier hack than the GH3?

• AFAIK G6 borrows only GH2 sensor. Some hardware, firmware and encoding is quite different. However I would love to see it hacked asap!

• Donations for a g6 body?

• @McKinise What VK said is that the main chip and algorithms are completely different. Hardly based on the GH2 itself. It's like saying that the same company owns Porsche, Audi and Volkswagon so their cars must all be the same..

@Grimor, I think more people would be interested in the G6 being hacked than the GH3, due to cost, but VK seems to think that the GH3 is priority and only after the GH3 is done will the G6 be considered for hacking. I asked about this a while ago with the intention of donating a significant portion of the cost for a G6 donor, but the interest seems to be only on the GH3 from the hacking standpoint.

Bummer, I know.

• @svart I understand completely. I thought it shared more components than it actually does. I agree about the Gh3 being a higher priority. It is a shame, too, because I could see myself owning multiple hacked G6 cameras.

BTW, what settings are you currently using with the G6?

• The G6 is great as it is, for what it is, but it would sure be a great candidate for hacking price wise :) Personally, the reason I'd like a hack is to unlock the region restriction. Having had 3 GH2s in the past (and currently own a 5D3 and a BM Pocket), I have to say that the G6 is probably the best value video cam out there. The plastic body isn't very attractive, the GH2 is much better in comparison, and the SD card in the battery compartment is a pain in the ass, but other than that, I absolutely love it, as others have already said, a much better image when compared to stock/hacked GH2, especially in low light noise/colour (motion wise similar to stock GH2). The wireless monitoring works adequately, and I don't miss the hdmi out, for the uses I have it for, others probably will.

• @3Kids - I am with you! Having GH2 hacked from the very first days and living in a PAL land - I loved the ability to switch between 25 and 30fps. As well as seeing how much space left really on my SD card, instead of 29:59 because of stupid EU regulation... Now I got G6 and like it even better, but again with EU silly limitations. It is significantly better in low light, has wider DR, more control, better image rendition and resolution, sharpness, excellent LCD screen, wifi features, quicker AF and so on. The only drawback for me is lack of a live image preview in photo recording mode. I doesn't hurt as much as I mostly shoot videos. But sometimes I need few photos, and I hate to pres Fn (or dive into menu) to see how my picture will look like after pressing shutter every time! That really makes me sick. Anyway G6 is the best bang for the bucks nowadays. And I am very much surprised G6 isn't that much popular and seems to be kind of a hidden gem. I am sure it would become a real shining diamond when hacked.

• @valdi99: Would you mind, sharing your G6 videos settings? :)

• Does anyone know if it's possible to check how much space is remaining on the sd card in camera?

• @Thorgas - I am not sure why you are joking ;) However, my setting depends on what I want in particular situation... Mostly: Full HD 50p @ 28Mbps, Custom photo style, based on Natural photo style (seems to have lowest noise) all at -5, except saturation I set usually at 0 (less hassle in post but still gradable), i.Dynamic set High, iso as low as possible, manual shutter and aperture, trying to keep shutter angle at 180 degree. Custom white balance, set on gray card if possible. If I need really precise focus point, I also rise Sharpness up to +5 for a while (just to use peaking, while recording I go back to -5).

@jdluu23 - do you mean PAL G6? I just switch to photo mode temporarily, and check how much space left for pictures - so I can calculate (approximate) how much space left for videos. For example: empty cards capacity is 1000 pictures. When I see only 200 - I know there is only about 20% left.

• I meant ntsc but I assume both work the same? Thanks for the tip.

• Can't tell you if it is the same, as I don't have NTSC version G6. My PAL G6 shows only 29:59. But that 29:59 limit was gone on my PAL GH2 - after hacking and was showing real amount of space left, no matter if in NTSC or PAL mode.

• @valdi99 Don't you get halos when using i.Dynamic?

• I've never noticed any halos. Could you be more specific?

• I tried to control G6 from web browser and it works! Not perfectly, but it works, as described here:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/6703/control-your-gh3-from-a-web-browser-now-with-video-/p1

• @svart - I can't get it work. Was it before firmware update of after? My PAL G6 has newest fw 1.1 and HDMI output is always dead, except of playback. Here is what I am referring to:

... If you are plugged into HDMI and go into the menu, nothing happens. If you are in the menu and go to "custom" and go into a sub-menu, the HDMI starts working and then you can navigate the menu while watching it on HDMI. It looks like they attempted to cripple the HDMI in all modes except for playback, but somehow missed a portion of the menu...

@Grimor, @oscillian - yes, I was able to notice some halos by i.Dynamic! Not as bad I was afraid of, but still a serious fault that should be reported to Panasonic development team.

• Been having a frustrating issue with white balance and this G6. When I hit record, it seems to get hotter than my settings. Since it is my b-cam to the GH3, I have really focused on the GH3, but on a shoot yesterday, I noticed this and couldn't dial in the color correctly. It would shift when I hit record. Anyone experienced this? Maybe there is a setting that I've not set properly. Any thoughts?

• @manu4vendetta my god that is astonishing

• Yep, the G6 is a mighty good camera. Haven't missed my GH2 much, except for the better viewfinder (sharpness wise) and card access. @Manu4Vendetta Good find!