Personal View site logo
Best M 4/3rd interview lenses
  • 58 Replies sorted by
  • Thank you for the replies people. As I'm interviewing musicians I'm at a lot of different venues, so I can have anywhere from 1 - 3/4 metres in distance away from the interviewee. So I need a lens that can handle tight spaces and look great with more room too. Is the 25mm not any good? How far away would you need to be from the subject with an 85mm?

• Why not using a Speedbooster and a prime lens? This way you can have 2 primes to choose from according to need/space. A 50mm could be used as a 60mm equivalent with the SB or as a 100mm eq using a normal adapter

• The Appropriate focal length and distance should become instinctive. It's often a good exercise with media students to try to reproduce the shot sizes from footage of the same genre. Choose something fairly true to the medium and it's likely to have the right look. If your own talent and theme are something similar, just reverse-engineer somebody else's interview (Hey, there's no copyright on camera angles, go ahead!) Here's a fair -to-middling setup to copy if you ever need to interview a President ;-)

• @goanna - great video, thanks! Most examples teaching proper focal length focus only on the facial distortion. I liked how this video also showed how longer focal lengths pull the background forward. Shooting the video on a narrow street (instead of a plain background) was a wise choice to demonstrate how the appearance of the background changes.

• So it seems your 50mm is too long. Thus stick a Lens Turbo on your 50mm, and if that doesn't give you enough width get a Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8

• Keep in mind the Panny lenses do in-camera distortion corrections that isn't applied to non Panny lenses.

• @IS2

Sounds like you might have to think on your feet. You'll probably do best with a tight-range zoom in those circumstances. Then you can concentrate on everything else. Also, the music interview genre certainly allows for a judicious zooming - in on the face, say when the talent has a tough question to answer!

Strangely, an 85mm equivalent focal length can come into its own in a noisy environment: you place yourself further from the talent, and although they're wearing a perfectly good lavalier mic a few inches from their face - and there might be a shotgun mic nearby, the talent will naturally tend to project their voice across the room to you - guaranteeing good sound levels, if at the expense of intimacy you'd get closer .

• More on setting up interviews for choosing lens, (also mic and lighting purposes, seating heights..)

*from Daniel Arijon, "Grammaire du langage filmé"

Note:

• 2 cameras are cheap these days, no longer a real need to do a second take with same camera for "noddy" reverse shots of the interviewer;
    • The other camera (or even a third) is needed for a 2-shot or "Master shot" from the front, for something to cut to if, say, the talent leans forward and out-of-frame to reach for a glass of water, or stand up, or make out-of-frame gestures;
    • As @rambo says, the A-cam (MCU or CU of talent, shot over the interviewer's shoulder) needs to be locked-on. If the back of the' interviewer's head moves slightly into frame, partly obscuring the talent's face, the lens will hold its focus instead of focusing on the interviewer and blurring the talent.
  • Setting up for interviews itself - before the interviewer and talent arrive - has never been more affordable either: as students we used foam heads on sticks (much more tolerant than live stand-in people). Now there are cheap, realistic, life-sized busts. (try googling images for "foam mannequin bust")

Foam (jewellery) mannequin busts are better than plain (wig) heads because they have shoulders - for when you need to keep the interviewer's shoulders out of a shot of the talent. Mannequin wigs are cheap, too. Very important for sight-lines with long-haired subjects.

image  image  image

• This was the video from where I extracted the snapshots posted on page one.

The 20mm allowed me to get close to the interviewee so the Video Mic Pro was in range, I also had a lav and Zoom H1 on him.

• Few cents here. Distortion, lens choices and position relative to the subject should be based on what kind of footage you want in a given situation, not on "how it´s done on telly" or standard movie dialogue shot. There is no neutral (not really, though you can of course decide on either of the above), only different choices. You can make the subject look fat / skinny / wierd / cool / grotesque / sickly / beautiful / serious / fun depending on your framing / angle / distance from subject / lens choice and lighting (positioning). Obviously there are practical boundaries in there as well and going back to the OP - Don´t be afraid of the wide angle, a 17,5 or 20 - 25 can easily be put to good use at relatively close distances from the subject and you can have the subject look in, what I´d guess would be useful ways, for a nightclub interview situation. For a shot with minimal background you need to go longer, obviously.

You´ll want a lens that is very sharp at around f2-2.8 and I doubt you´ll want to go faster than that in any situation (very shallow DOF is difficult to master in any situation, nevermind a dark nightclub). I´d consider c/y zeiss 25mm f2.8 or 28 f2 (f2.8 if on a budget) coupled with a good adapter and a speedbooster for choice. I guess this would be more expensive than a panny-leica however you get a 2-in-1 lens with the speedbooster. If that´s not economically viable I´d go for a 20mm panny pancake.

• @RRRR

mwell.. I guess we've all got to loosen up creatively sometimes.

What I've described is Interviewing for the Camera Operator 101. Learn to do this stuff fast and it won't stop you getting arty on the weekend but once in a while you might be able to give up your day job too.

• @Rambo Was opening interview shot auto or manual focus with Panny 20 mm?

I have 45mm Olympus and 20 mm pancake. The interview length would be one hour, sit and talk. I plan to use 45 mm with etc ( 90mm ) for thru shoulder shot ( That would be my shoulder face to interviewer), and 20 mm angle setting like your opening. All of your inputs for this setting would be appreciated.

• @tinbeo, opening shot was 20mm Panny locked focus, the OOF transition look was created in post (Newblue plugin if I remember)

• @goanna

All I want to do is to encourage people to think actively about their choices behind the camera. We see "properly made" interviews every day - the aesthetic is in your backbone already if you have an aesthetic backbone. Although it of course pays to know how to do all the basic stuff, it can pay even more to realize that something could be done in another way for a "better" end result.

Though, it´s certainly not the easy way.

• It's also good to experiment from time to time, it's how you learn to venture outside established conventions and even develop a unique style for yourself.

• I'll say...as I'm slowly going to remove myself from this board, that one thing I've learned....is that everything is subjective. If you like and and your clients likes it....well....then that's good enough. Peace guys and keep it in focus.

P.S. @Rambo Keep the good work sir. You've always been an inspiration ad motivator.

• everything is subjective

I do wish that were the case! The interview genre presents us with real challenges and constraints. A lens focal length must be chosen to exclude the mic from the frame yet get good sound. Camera positions can be a hurried compromise as well. The camera operator's role is at the same time self-effacing (the talent is the star here), the interviewer gets the credit, and yet the camera is expected to be perfect, for every take, with little appreciation.

On the other hand, interviews as a camera-journalist yourself can make for a good ride. You don't have to write a paper (because the talent has said it), your sub-editors don't need to check your work (because the talent said it) and you can build a portfolio fast.

But make a mistake early, and it can spell an early end to a career. People like to be shot from their best side and for everything they say to be broadcast. They ask for veto rights, just because of bad hair day. And then, nobody over 25 likes their own face.

Camera interviewing is unlike other trades in which the work has to be perfect every time: unlike crash repairers or kitchen installers, interview-based camera work covering 80% of situations can probably be pretty well mastered in about 12 weeks. That's when some guys are happy to spend their after-work time drinking beer while others might start planning a documentary in Tibet with their GH2..:-)

• Idea: I can see how a skater dolly could be useful with a DSLR in an interview setup, thanks to its ability to roll in a curve (wheels adjusted to transcribe a wide arc with the interviewee at its centre). Any time the interviewee's movement invites a wider view - or the interviewer might have accidentally obscured them, the camera op could lightly roll the dolly through a few degrees of rotation, pulling back if needed, confident that the talent would stay in frame.

I imagine myself trying to build a huge curved tabletop! There must be a hassle-free alternative. Has anybody tried a skater dolly in this way? I'll try a few shots with a big table tomorrow,

• It's very subjective and this thread has proven that. I use an 85mm and a 24mm or 35mm for my interviews and most people have said the opposite. These are standard focal lengths for such, using non mft lenses. Look around on the internet and in many examples of what focal lengths do to faces, yet people here are cool with putting someone in front of a 35mm or even a 25mm lens for CU shots. Good luck with that. That's my point. I'm talking about known standards in how the lens distorts an object and some say it's fine. Subjective.

• I use the same combo as Vic for interviews with a C300 and with my GH3 (room permitting). I like the way the 85mm renders the human face for close-ups and switch between 35mm and 50mm for wides depending on the room and how wide I want the 2nd angle. I use lavs so having a boom in the wide isn't an issue for my style.

I have found TV hosts will always complain at the results of using 35mm and below for closeups as it is not kind to their features and we all know how looks obsessed TV hosts are. They are their own biggest critics and its my job to make them look good.

I have fallen in love with the Nikon-M43 speedbooster from metabones as now my lenses have the same FOV I'm used to between the C300 and GH3.

• @RatLabProductions Yeah, I really don't understand why people seem to be slightly not in favor of the 85mm for CU shots? It's perfect and makes the face more pleasing but whatever, use a 25mm for everything I guess.

• Haha.. my subjects are usually not too concerned about how they look, they're usually sunburnt sweaty, covered in sea salt, snotty nosed and wind blown. No matter what lens it's shot with, if the client is not happy with the content, you're in trouble. I guess the difference between run and gun on the fly event coverage and preplanned studio interviews is the time factor in setting up, apples and oranges, some of us live in different worlds, there's many uses for a camera, I for one would be lost in a studio.